.

Let Me In

Jonghyun was taking his usual route home from school. It was only a few blocks away, and though his very concerned mother insisted on picking him up, he enjoyed walking home. Headphones in, he loved having some strictly personal time that was outside the confining walls of his bedroom and still far away from anybody else, if only mentally. He thought he seemed rude, rejecting his friends offers to walk with him and give him a ride home, but it was something he looked forward to daily and he was set that nobody was going to take it away from him.

He had plenty of friends, some may say that he was very popular. Most of the girl's were attracted to him and they guys were either likewise or wanted to be him. He hating being like everyone else. Standing out and attracting attention was something that the high school boy thrived on, and most would agree that he was beyond good at it. What with his three-toned hair and always pushing the limits with the way he wore his uniform, causing teachers to scoff at him and shoot warning looks when he walked into class in the morning.

Jonghyun was one of those people that was either completely enticed with something or utterly not interested. He couldn't bring himself to care about the comments that girls sent him in the hallways or when they sent their friends to find out if he thought they were pretty, it had become a learned skill that he hadn't lost his mind on every girl that approached him throughout the day.

The things he did care about, though, were things he had to do regularly. Things like singing and reading. They were little things that made everything else worth it. His walk home was part of these things, so he noticed whenever the slightest thing was out of place.

Like today.

Not even just today, but everyday this week. There was this boy, who sat at the bench he walked past. It was usually when the first song on his playlist was over, he remembered that.

He would wear more bold clothes then Jonghyun ever thought he could pull of, even outside of school. His hair was more than two or three toned, but had almost every colour in the rainbow peeking out from brown, perfectly straight locks that cut down his forehead on an angle. The boy always sat with one ankle daintily propped over the other and his hands folded in his lap. The books stacked beside him on the wooden bench would vary, but besides the books and clothes the mulicolour haired boy wore, that was the only thing that would change.

He seemed like he was almost as obsessed with routine as Jonghyun was, and this sparked Jonghyun's attention like crazy.

It was Friday, the second last Friday until the students were free for break, therefore he only had a few weeks to get to know his new fascination before potentially never seeing him again, and that just wasn't an option.

Jonghyun popped out one of his headphones and cautiously strolled over to the bench where the other boy was seated. He tried his best to look inviting and smile, but the other was not responding in the slightest. Taking a seat beside him, but not uncomfortably close he sighed dramatically as to make his presence known.

“Hi, I'm Jonghyun.” he spoke in a friendly tone, leaning forward on the bench and watching for a response of some sort.

The other boy tensed up, knuckles whitening as he squeezed his folded hands together. “I-I'm Kibum.”

Jonghyun was pleased with himself, gaining a hesitant response, but a response nonetheless. “Kibum. I like that name. What school do you go to Kibum?”

The corners of Kibum's mouth turned up slightly. “I'm starting at SM after the break, what about you?”

“Holy balls! That's my school.” Jonghyun said, biting his tongue afterwards because he didn't know yet how the other would respond to his typically vulgar vocabulary.

But to his relief, Kibum just chuckled at him. “How is it there?”

“It's good, I guess.” he said thoughtfully, not really having a full opinion of his own school. Jonghyun checked his phone screen and is eyes widened as he caught the time, standing up quickly and collecting his bag off the ground. “, I hate to run on you like this, but my mom will have to police looking for me if I'm not home in, like, two minutes. Same time tomorrow?”

Kibum made a noise of agreement and nodded quickly as he heard Jonghyun's running shoes slapping on the grass grow fainter while he sprinted home.

The boy of the park bench felt his heart sink in his chest. Now it was only a matter of time.

~

Jonghyun very much held to his word. He met Kibum in the exact same spot everyday for a week, they would speak for five or so minutes until the one boy had to run home to avoid the wrath of his mother. He had a hard time deciding what she would disapprove of more, being home late or talking to strangers.

They would speak of lighthearted things, like interests and things in the news. Jonghyun learned that Kibum liked the same music as him, was only a little younger than him and took great pride in his extensive sunglasses collection. They had even gotten into the habit of taking turns sharing a new song with the other everyday, and listened to it as they spoke, as well as using it as a timer for how long before Jonghyun had to leave.

The one thing that puzzled Jonghyun the most was the fact that the other boy never took his sunglasses off, ever. Sure, they were nice and he was sporting a new pair everyday, but they were hardly necessary under the shade of the park trees. Jonghyun didn't even know what Kibum looked like under the glasses. He hardly knew what the other looked like at all, given that he barely faced him and Jonghyun didn't want to stare or make a point of taking in the other's appearance.

It had very much became a part of Jonghyun's coveted routine to sit down and speak to Kibum now, so when the last Friday before the break approached he made plans to , well, make plans. Joyfully, he skipped over to Kibum who was wearing a neon rimmed pair of ray bands today. It seemed like he had every colour of these glasses and they were the Jonghyun's personal favourite.

“Kibum, come over tomorrow.”

Kibum sat up perfectly straight instantly and began chewing on his bottom lip. “I don't think I can.”

Jonghyun furrowed his brows and pouted the best he could, placing a hand on the other boy's knee. “But if I don't see you until after the break then I'll miss you.”

“Miss me?” Kibum said, voice laced with a joyous surprise and he grinned, still facing perfectly straight ahead.

Jonghyun gave the boy's knee a squeeze before releasing and moving his hand close to Kibum's face to hover above the glasses that were resting on the bridge of his nose. “Fine, but at least let me see your face if you aren't going to talk to me for two weeks.”

As soon as Jonghyun's hand slightly brushed the other's cheek, Kibum slapped it away. “STOP!”

The younger boy moved away from him automatically, creating as much distance as he could without falling off the edge of the bench. Jonghyun watched as a tear slid down his cheek from under his dark glasses, lips slightly parted and his chest was rising and falling at a fast pace.

Jonghyun flinched at the boy's response to him, but tried his hardest to be comforting and hide how hurt he was. “Kibum, what's wrong?”

“Jonghyun, go home.” he nearly whispered, a whimper escaping the back of his throat along with the last word.

The older shook his head and removed the distance Kibum had created by sliding across the bench. “Listen, you could be hiding a third eye under there and it wouldn't make a difference to me. I like talking to you because I like you, not your face.”

Kibum let out a heartless chuckle. “Is that your nice way of calling me ugly?”

“You are the opposite of ugly.”

Jonghyun spoke the last few words softly as he rose his hand to Kibum's face again. This time the boy didn't cower away, but sat silently sobbing, tears streaming down his cheeks as his lips and body quivered. His breath hitched as the older slowly brought the glasses off his face and folded them in his lap. Kibum was still shaking, eyes squeezed shut and now fully crying, water leaking out of the corners of his clamped shut eyes.

Jonghyun rubbed the younger's back. “Hey, look at me.”

Kibum brought his face up to face forward again, eyes still closed but heart rate somewhat stabilizing as he took in a few deep breaths. When his face turned to where Jonghyun was sitting and he opened his eyes, the older had to suppress a gasp. His eyes were so light blue that his irises were almost nonexistent and his pupils were hardly visible. They looked blank, though shining with salty tears that continued to pour down his high cheekbones.

“I can't.”