My Music (Song Seung-hyun)

WILL IT REACH YOU?

 

 

Three months ago, I received good news that I passed the audition for the mid-year recital in our university. The performance was scheduled two months after I found out the result. But the problem was that I was not used to in performing in front of a large audience. Sure, I’ve been studying music for two years already but this was going to be my first performance on stage. Usually, my family, friends and professors were the only people who heard me sing and play guitar. I was very nervous. With this problem running in my mind, I went and talked to one of my music professors. He gave me advice, told me that starting from that day I should practice in front of a crowd. He then suggested a mini-park near his home.

 

That afternoon I went there to perform. It is a good place. The park is close to the university. People in the neighborhood always go here in the afternoon to chat, play or just relax. They are very good audience, always willing to listen and to appreciate my performance.  There are also only few cars passing by, which help lessen the distraction and let people focus on my performance. Most importantly, the reason why my professor chose this place is that it is near the grocery that my professor’s wife is managing. Since she’s nearby, she can hear me and can report my performance to my professor. So, I scheduled my every Wednesday afternoon as practice time.

 

I could see the result of my weekly practices in the park. I am no longer nervous, now confident playing not only in front of those I know but also in front a crowd. My professor would always say that my guitar techniques and vocal are the best among our year but I was always missing the feeling. But no matter how I practice, with or without audience, I at this feeling thing. My professor said I should put my feelings in music; that I should imagine that I am talking to someone through my music.

 

 That was when I met her, exactly a month after I started practicing at the park. That day my professor asked a favor if I could pass a message to his wife. So before going to the park, I went to the grocery and saw her there talking to my professor’s wife and his daughter. She was laughing at something the little girl said to her. I first noticed her eyes. She has very expressive and beautiful eyes. Though I could not hear what they were talking about, but just through her eyes I could somewhat guess it. Her eyes lit up while talking, showed various emotions – from interest to happiness. She got out the grocery without noticing me but I wanted to see her more so I delivered my message very fast and went out to follow her. I was few meters away when I noticed that she’s heading to the park. It made me hope that she would stay and maybe, could listen to me. I watched her stopped in the middle of the park, looked up to the clear sky and breathed in the fresh air. She held her hands up as if she was stretching and then turned around teary-eyed with one hand on , giving off a look like she just yawned. It just happened that she looked at the back, spared me but a fleeting glance, then lowered her head and hastily went inside a building just across the street.  Never have I seen eyes like that, one glance and my heart started going wild. I took a deep breath and tried to calm my heart. Then I remembered my practice. While preparing my guitar, I kept thinking of her stretching and yawning. I got into a conclusion that maybe she was tired. I knew at that time that there was a high possibility that she could not hear it but even with a slightest chance, I would take it just for her to listen to my music. Decided on what to do,  I played a lullaby, the one my mother taught me. I was really hoping that she would get to hear this since my guess was that she lives across the street, in the bulding she entered.

 

After that, I was always anticipating every Wednesday afternoon. I even went to the park earlier than usual just to see her buying something in the grocery or passing at the park. Bit by bit I could somewhat understand and know her. Sometimes, she looked preoccupied but she would always spare a smile to my professor’s wife and his daughter, talk happily to an elderly couple about how nice the weather is or greet the doorman of her apartment. But like that day, her eyes always catch my attention first. I could tell if she was happy, sad or tired. From that day on, I tried to reach her through my music. I want to celebrate with her if she’s happy, to encourage her if she’s sad and to give her strength if she’s tired. Sometimes, when I see her tired, I play the lullaby again. I learnt what my professor want me to understand about the ‘feelings’ in music because all I could do from that day on was to put my feelings for her in my music. Maybe it was just my imagination but every time I perform at the park I can feel her presence so I poured out my very best in every performance. I was also very thankful to her since because of her I was improving in my singing and playing. And the time for my recital came, I played as if she was there listening, and received a positive review about my performance.

 

Three months have passed since the first time I sang here at the park. Even if my recital is finished a month ago, I continue to sing and play my guitar here for her, still hoping that somehow she can hear my music. But today is a special day because of what happened earlier. I was running late so I was rushing to go inside the grocery. I bumped into her while entering. I can see the change in the looks of her eyes – from shock to recognition. Then I smiled and stared at her. First, I saw a determined look, but then I can sense a bit of shyness and confusion underneath. A few moments later, her eyes softened as if she was looking at me with warmth and affection. But soon after, our gaze was broken. She then assured the little girl who was asking if she was okay. And before I could say anything, she went outside. I looked at my professor’s wife who was giving me a knowing smile. She said that she was going to tell me a story about a girl who two months ago started going home early every Wednesday; a story about a girl who was very curious that she even asked the grocer about a boy that is always playing at the park every Wednesday afternoon. With a teasing smile, she told me how her daughter innocently asked the favorite song of that certain girl and it is “Out of My League”.

 

Once I heard the title, I started running to the park, prepared my guitar and began to sing. Now, I’m singing and playing with all my heart, giving my best, putting all my feelings into my music. Can you hear it? Can you hear my music? Can my music send you what I feel?

 

 

Without words…without speeches…will it reach you?

 

 

*END*

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Although a bit short, thank you for reading this story.

I finally finished one story! Yey! Haha!

I hope you would also support my other stories.

Thank you readers! Feel free to leave comments and suggestions.

GOD BLESS!

 

<3