My Gaze (Bae Suzy)

WILL IT REACH YOU?

 

 

It’s Wednesday afternoon. And like any other Wednesday for the past two months, I’ve been spending my afternoon near my window, listening to the music coming from outside. Maybe it’s a coincidence but today he is singing “Out of My League”, one of my favorite songs. Listening to this, it makes me remember my first time listening to him.

 

I usually go back to my apartment late at night. But two months ago I decided to go home after my class to take a nap since I lacked some sleep because of the project I was trying to finish the night before. Thankful that my class always ends early every Wednesday, I decided to buy dinner in the grocery near my apartment so that when I wake up later that evening I would not need to go outside again. In two years that I’ve been living in that part of the neighborhood, I’ve become close to the owner of the grocery and her 7 year-old daughter. So, I greeted them and exchanged a few pleasantries. After buying my food I passed the mini-park in front of the building where I am staying in. I looked up to let the clear sky and fresh air relieved me of my stess. I was thinking that even though I was tired, it really felt so good to finish my project and to have some time off for myself. So, I stretched my arms and yawned a little. I looked at my surroundings to see if someone saw me did those things. Yes, I thought, maybe one or two saw me. I was certain though that the one who was behind me saw what I did. A little embarrassed, I lowered my head, hurried up to my apartment and got ready to sleep. But before I reached my bed I heard something coming from the outside. I stood still, listening. I could not explain but somehow it affected me. I looked out the window to see who was making those sounds and I found a man sitting on one of the benches of the park playing with his guitar. Many people were gathered around him, also listening. He continued to play his guitar without singing and I continued to listen to him. As the sounds reach my ear, it tugged my heart but calmed my mind. Half-way through his playing, calmness turned to sleepiness. It was as if he was playing a lullaby for me. I lay down on my bed, closed my eyes and eventually fell asleep. I woke up early in the morning the next day, I didn’t even eat my dinner. It was my longest sleep since the school began. I felt calm and relax, then I remembered the music and the man who was making those before falling asleep. Even if it was only a memory it still did unexplainable things to my heart.

 

After that day, I was very curious about him, I asked the grocer and found out that he is always playing the guitar and singing in the park on Wednesdays for already a month. It was my first time seeing him since I always go home late. He usually plays his guitar and sings, not collecting any money but only wanting to perform. And that started my Wednesday afternoon ritual. From then on, I always make sure to get home early so that I can hear him. I would see him in the grocery or at the park before his performance, give him a glance if he’s not looking, then go to my apartment to listen. The second Wednesday was first time I heard him sing. He has a very nice voice, soothing and calming  like his playing.  In each of his performance, the more I listen, the more I became interested in him. It never fails to touch my heart. I have no explanation but his music comforts me, calms me, cheers me up and most of all, it lets me experience the feeling of love.

 

Most Wednesdays, he sings but there are times, like as if he knows when I want it, he only plays his guitar, same as the first time I heard him. Not only did I listen but also watch him from afar, from my window.  I love the way his expressions change when he sings, how he greets people who watch him play, the wishful look he always exhibits after his performance, and how he laughs when he was playing with the children in the park after.

 

I am his secret fan, an admirer from afar, contented in listening and watching. But today something special happened, though some people might think otherwise. Earlier, I went to the grocery to buy my food, which became my routine, but he was not there, then I thought maybe he was already in the park. I greeted the grocer but she started telling me something, which give me a feeling that she somehow knew who I was looking for. She told me that someone was running late, definitely a first within two months he’s been here. With a smile she said that she was going to tell me a very interesting story. She said, three months ago there was a boy that started performing at the park to practice but then he saw a very tired girl, who for the first time went home early on a Wednesday afternoon. The grocer continued with her story, telling me that the boy became very interested to that certain girl, who has a smile that reaches her eyes; so interested that he made certain to arrive early every Wednesday just to see her. The story suddenly ended when her daughter pulled the hem of my shirt and asked my favorite song. Though I don’t know why she asked this, I still answered her. After a few minutes, I waved goodbye to the grocer’s daughter but while going out I bumped into someone. When I was about to say sorry, I was shocked to see that it was him. He smiled but I continued to stare at him, my eyes captivated by his. There were so many things running on my mind, I want to talk but I was lost for words. I just gazed back, wanting to express my feelings, giving it all to that moment. Our connection was broken when I heard the grocer’s daughter asked me if I was okay. I looked back assuring her that I'm fine, and then I bolted out of the door.

 

Now that I am listening to him, maybe I’m delusional but I have a feeling that this song is something special, that it carries a special message. Is it too much to think that it is a message of love? They say that eyes can communicate. For few seconds that our eyes locked, was it enough? Was my feeling conveyed through my gaze?

 

 

 

Without words...without speeches...will it reach you?