The Newcomer

The Race Against the Dark

We could see it from miles away – the mage’s tower – it had been awing in both size and architecture when we were on Ignis’ Pass, but now, there was no words to describe just how beautiful the shining marble tower was up close. The top of the tower seemed to reach up into the clouds that moved rapidly across the sky, pushing forward into lands outside of Miro. The tower itself gave off a rather eerie aqua colored glow that made it stand out against the background of the purple tinted clouds.

“This is the mage’s tower?” whispered Kwangmin in awe, peering up at the majestic marble tower.

“This is my home,” confirmed JR, smiling a bit sadly, “This was also my prison for about fourteen years.”

“What about the other one?”

“I spent my time traveling around Miro, plotting the best courses for when this journey began,” muttered Jonghyun, however, he stopped mid-step, peering at something in a mixture of shock and suspicion.

“JR?” I muttered in minor shock as he stepped before me, however, I turned my gaze from the tower and followed his. I stared in shock as I saw a male our age wondering around the base of the tower, his gaze turned towards the top of the windowless tower.

“Stay behind me,” whispered Jonghyun, his glare directed towards the male who resembled slight – very slightly.

Jonghyun was tense and ready to attack if the boy came towards us. I was a little confused on how JR had caught onto his being there before the rest of us, how he could see him before the rest of us.

“I could sense him,” whispered Jonghyun, making me jump and wonder if he could also read minds, “I can’t read your mind, I just know how you think.”

I looked at him in shock, “How did you sense him?”

“He radiates power, how can you not?” questioned Miyoung, who had somehow in the span of mere seconds managed to appear beside me despite being meters away.

I continued to stare at the new comer, “I don’t sense power, I just sense confusion and…”

“What?” questioned JR, peering at me over his shoulder for a second before turning his attention back towards the new comer?

“His presence…it’s familiar.”

“Are you saying you know him?”

“No,” I retorted, denying it strongly, “but I feel as though I’ve passed by him before.”

“I sense that too,” muttered Youngmin, earning a nod from his twin who was latched onto his arm still as they continued to attempt to fight off the cold since Jonghyun had dropped the barrier to conserve his energy just in case he needed to use it in our journey to the tower, which oddly enough, he did not need to do.

“Familiar presence or not,” muttered Jonghyun, “He cannot be trusted. The shadows have the capability to take on other forms, on taking more familiar forms and deceiving people, you three should know that from the day I met you all.”

They nodded in confirmation, but I continued to stare at the male – watching him intently, trying to remember where I had seen him before – trying to figure out why he seemed so familiar, “He’s not like them…”

JR scoffed, “How do you know that? All I sense coming from him is the darkness; I can’t feel his presence because it is shrouded too thickly from darkness. He’s probably manipulating you all somehow…”

“He isn’t though,” I muttered, “I swear to you JR, I’ve met him in person before.”

“No matter that,” responded Jonghyun, “We need to get into the mage’s tower.”

I nodded and followed him as he continued his trek forward, only to stop where he told me to – a few meters form the mage’s tower, where I was hidden by the giant marble statue – one of the two that stood on either side of the broad, thick metal doors that lead into the entrance area of the tower.  I peeked out from behind the statue with Mi Young and Baekho, and the twins, watching as Jonghyun approached the newcomer rather tensely.

“Who are you?” growled Jonghyun threateningly; the deep tone that his raspy voice took on sent a cold chill up my spine.

“I could as you the same,” responded the other male, just as threateningly, “It’s not often that you see people like you and I in this hell hole.”

“Trust me,” responded Jonghyun, “I’d know.”

“So, what is your name?” questioned the male.

“I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours,” responded Jonghyun, rather childishly.

“Minhyun,” stated the taller male, smiling politely towards Jonghyun, “I’ve been in here for a while now; my town was one of the first to pass through the barriers…”

Jonghyun eyed him warily, though his expression stayed stoic, I knew that he did not believe the male one bit, “JR…”

“Why are you here? And come on, tell me your real name - I told you mine, didn’t I?” questioned the male cheekily, causing JR to grow tenser and more cautious.


“You don’t need to know my full name, nor do you need to know anything about me,” responded JR, his gaze narrowing on the male, still really uncomfortable around him.

“He’s safe,” I stated loud enough for both the male before JR and JR to look towards me, the newcomer smiled happily towards me while JR sent the darkest glare my way.

“I agree with Ren,” stated Youngmin and Kwangmin, being sure to use my nickname, mentally reminding them selves to refer to only Jonghyun and me by our nicknames.

JR turned his death glare towards the twins while Minhyun greeted us merrily, I watched him closely – finally sensing something off about him, although I could not put my finger onto just what was making me uneasy.

Minhyun suddenly showed a expression of recognition, spinning on his heel and looking towards Jonghyun with dreamy eyes, “You’re one of those mages the legends speak of, aren’t you?”

I tensed up, knowing that there really was something off about him now.

Jonghyun on the other hand looked at Minhyun, “And so what if I am?”

“Can you show me some of your magic?”

“No,” responded Jonghyun with no hesitation, he moved forward, brushing past Minhyun – being sure to knock him out of the way with his shoulder.

I peered at Minhyun as he turned my way, “Could I join you guys? I’m alone out here, my parents passed away a couple of years ago and I had been living in an orphanage – that is before the darkness began to spread, before it consumed my home.”

“I guess you’re traveling with us won’t hurt us too much,” I muttered, not letting my uneasiness show as I smiled back at him but my gaze stayed locked onto the sulking Jonghyun, who had moved to the metal door, muttering words that were inaudible from the distance between us.

“Thank you so-“

“Shut up already and come on,” growled JR out of frustration, failing to look my way as he stepped into the mage’s tower as soon as the door to the tower swung open.

“Thank you, really,” stated Minhyun, only earning an eye roll from Jonghyun and a shared worried look from the other five of us behind the male’s back in response.

With that, our little group of six became seven and entered the mage’s tower. 

 

Enjoy!!!