Chapter 1: Dreams and Nightmares

Attached

 

 

Chapter 1

Dreams and Nightmares

 



Italics = thoughts



Her heart raced. It pounded so hard against her chest that it woke her up. She was afraid. It wasn't the first time she had the same nightmare. It was that one nightmare where she saw her die, or saw her being taken away. Always sweating, breathing hard and shaking, that’s how she woke up. She never told anyone about it, she just kept it to herself. It was creepy enough, she thought. She mumbled incoherent words after she woke up from the horrible nightmare. Nightmares had been hunting her for quite a while. She realized since she became very close to her, that nightmares became worse and worse, to the point where death was the end. Death is the only sure thing humans have, death will come to you no matter what. Yet again she asked herself every time, what the meaning of this is. She even considered disregarding it as the best solution. The search for answers tired her out. Answers would come by themselves, right? She decided to exercise in order to distract her mind; a run in the morning always helped her start the day with great energy. After a 45 minute run, she went to take a shower and let the water wash those worries away. As her morning routine, she called a coworker and an old friend.


~~~~


"Ahhhhh!" She yelled, and woke up from a nightmare. The phone vibrated and rung against the table by the bed’s side. She opened her eyes wide, holding her chest over her heart with her hand. Tears ran out from her red tired eyes, heart pumping hard and fast, but mostly, fear. It was the third time this month she had that nightmare, same alley, same gang, and same end. Blood in her hands and the loss of her best friend, the friend that was always by her side.

"Hey sleepy head, wakey wakey."

“Um, hello.” She answered the phone, her voice tainted with sleep.

"Yaah!! Wake up!!! Are you lazy!?" She almost shouted on the phone.
“I’m awake, I’m awake. Why do you have to yell so early in the morning?”
“Well, you need to wake up, so I was trying to help you.” She waited until her friend snapped out of her morning trance.

"I just woke up and I’m craving hot chocolate." She said randomly, trying to avoid the lazy conversation her friend was trying to make. She knew her well, her friend was going to mock her sleeping habits and she wasn’t really in the mood for it.

"Oh, well, go buy it yourself." She laughed at the change of topic so sudden.

"But, Hyo you know what I like. Can you get it and bring it to the office?" She whined with a little aegyo. She did it every time she wanted something from Hyoyeon.

"No, I'm very busy today Sica. I have like four early meetings." She grinned like an idiot over the phone.

"Pleaseee. Don't be so mean with your old partner in crime"

"Have you looked at yourself in the mirror and most importantly, do you know what time is it?"


One, two, three....


"Oh my god, I'm late! It’s your fault! Argh!! See you in the office. Darn it I...." The line went dead.

She laughed loudly this time. She knew that trick would work every time. She finished preparing for work, took her keys and drove to a little coffee shop Jessica and her loved to go to in their collage years. The ambient of the coffee shop always brought her good memories. They always went there no matter the time.

"Two hot chocolates, and one iced tea."

"Coming right up!!"

Few minutes had passed and she was almost ready to walk out of the cafe.
“Here ma’am. Have a great day.”
“You too.”

She took her time to go to the office. Thanks to the little trip to the coffee shop the traffic caught up, she was in the middle of a long traffic line. Luckily, she still had 10 minutes to get to work. She looked at the big screen on top of the building nearby and remembered the awful nightmare.

"This is ridiculous!" She told herself louder. Sometimes it was difficult for her to forget that, it was like a scar carved deep in her skin, difficult to erase. Suddenly, the traffic light changed and she made her way into the parking lot where she worked. "Finally darn it!!"
She reached the building and sped towards the elevator when she saw the doors closing.
"Wait! Hold it!" but some didn’t hold it for her. She waited for the second one. A ring echoed in the hallway and the doors opened to reveal two figures she’d recognize anywhere, her boss and partner. Just my luck. She bowed and greeted them.
"Good morning midget!  Good morning Miss Hwang!” She said, a little more high pitched than intended.

“Yah!! So early and insulting! What is this! ” she hit Hyoyeon’s arm.

"Good morning, Hyo. Drop the formalities when we are alone. Gosh, how many times do we have to tell you that." Tiffany said, flashing a beautiful eye smile.

Hyoyeon laughed nervously. "Since you two became my bosses… Hey, midget be careful you are not caring this.” She said glaring a Taeyeon, “How are you guys? I haven’t see you in forever."

"Well…" The elevator doors opened up, and Tiffany and Taeyeon began walking out. "We will catch up tonight, care to join us for dinner? Bring Jessi along." It was more a request than an invitation. They left before she could answer.

She went into her office. She greeted her secretary and gave her the usual iced tea as she winked at her. Her secretary smiled at the gesture and gave her the schedule for the day. Two meetings, one in the morning and another one in the afternoon, a few reports needed be done before the day is over and some paper needed revising. She massaged her temple and sighs. She left her office and went to deliver the hot chocolates.

She reached Jessica’s office and smiled at the beautiful sight. Jessica was focusing on a file, reading it with her back facing the door. Jessica’s beautiful honey hair black blazer and she wore a black skirt that went down just right above her knees, showing her beautiful legs. Hyoyeon went inside her office and closed the door.
"Good morning!!" she said with a huge smile.

The latter jumped at the sudden interruption. "One of these days you will kill me from a heart attack, Hyo. I’m being serious." She glared furiously at the one who caused the interruption.

"Okay, okay drama queen. I got something that will relieve your pain." She smiled and gave her one of the cups.

"Oh, you bought it!” Her mood quickly brightened up. “I thought you wouldn't, with that attitude you gave me this morning.”

"Bah! I was playing around. You should be less serious in the morning. You’ll get wrinkles at your age. Be grateful or next time I will come empty handed." She said while taking a sip of her hot chocolate.

"Yeah, whatever. Thanks anyway." She took a sip of her chocolate and remembered the little stun this morning. "Kim Hyoyeon!!! You!!” She pointed at her.  “You changed my alarm again, didn’t you!? Argh, you will kill me one of these days."

She couldn’t hold her laughter in, and laughed hard while holding her stomach. "Oops, forgot to change it back."

"Really?! Adding thirty minutes is necessary!!!" Jessica yelled, hitting the desk with one of her hands.

"Well, I got a new excuse! It’s not my fault that you, lazy pants, wake up every day late to go to work! So, as a good buddy—“She pointed at herself proudly. I changed it so you can at least get enough sleep and wake up at the right time. See, my intentions are good. I need a reward for my hard work"

"I would have given you a reward!!! But you almost gave me a heart attack this morning, so, no rewards.”

"Wow, Sica that’s how you repay my good deeds? I see how it is." Hyoyeon said very dramatically.

"Whatever, drama queen." Jessica said, taking a sip of her chocolate.

"Well, I'm going to do my actual job that I really get paid for. By the way, Taeyeon invited us for dinner."

"Great, I don't need to cook today."
"Since when you cook?" Hyoyeon said as she walked towards the door.

Jessica threw her stapler at Hyoyeon. "Out Hyoyeon!!"

Hyoyeon left Jessica’s office, laughing as hard as she could. Oh God this is awesome. She thought, holding her stomach.


~~~~


"You can't leave her alone, can you?" She said tapping Hyoyeon’s shoulder.

It was Sooyoung that appeared from the office’s kitchen.

"Yea, it brightens my mornings. You know, teasing her like that."

"What was the reason she kicked you out this time?" Sooyoung said, taking a bite of her donut.

"Well, firstly, she didn't kick me out. I was leaving already. Secondly, it was her cooking skills, the reason she reacted like that."

"I still don't understand why she’s still your friend."

"Years my friend, years of friendship." She said dramatically and patted Sooyoung's back and went to her office.

"Unnie, your meeting is in one hour." Her secretary reminded her.

"Thank you, Seohyun. Bring me the files please."

"Yes, unnie."

Seohyun brought her all the files she needed to read and check up. She put her glasses on, sat in her chair and starts working. Most of the file were old closed cases she had, since she was busy the whole last month and she couldn’t finish her reports, it was a good moment to finish the last missing details in the reports before sending them to fill the drawers.


~~~~


"Sunny."

"Yes, Jessica."

"I had another nightmare."

"She was there again?"

"Yes, but this time was worse..."

"What happened ?"

"She got dragged to an alley and she got shoot."

"Have you talked to her about it?"

"No."

“Why not?”

"I don’t know…” She knew deep down, but at some point didn’t want to share it. Her fears and vulnerabilities, they were for her to keep. The only person that knew most of that was Hyoyeon, but she didn’t share it verbally, they shared it together. All these years of friendship was one of the things Jessica appreciated most in her life and kept it close to her heart. She didn’t let anyone there, in her heart. Hyoyeon helped her through the worst moments in her life. Only they knew the real reasons why they keep up with each other.

“She could help you. I think these things happen for a reason.”

“Maybe you are right.” She took out her phone and started texting Hyoyeon.

"Hey, are you up for lunch?"

"I will try to tell her."

"Maybe~ are you paying? ;)"  She laughed at her friend tactics.

"Just do it before it’s too late."

"I'm not sure if you deserve it. :p"

"I have to go do my job before midget and her minion fire me because of you! If you need something, text me."

"Okay, thanks."

"Aww why are you so mean to me? T.T”

"You started it. :)"

"Ok… What time?"

"12."

"See ya then."



~~~~


“Seohyun, I will be back after lunch. Remember to send that folder. Go eat before you disappear.” She winked at her.

“Yes, unnie.” Seohyun giggled at Hyoyeon’s antics.

Hyoyeon was on her way to Jessica’s office but suddenly she bumped into someone, making the other person throw all the papers she was holding onto the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Hyoyeon said without looking. Once she looked at the person, she immediately regretted it and gulped.  She had been avoiding her for weeks; just her pure luck brought her back.  She helped the latter pick up the mess she created.

The other girl was silent and didn’t want to meet Hyoyeon’s eyes, picking up the papers and trying to evade unnecessary physical contact.

“What are you doing?” She almost jumped at the sudden appearance of Jessica bossing around.

“I just bumped into her by accident and made her throw all her stuff on the floor.” She said as she gave the last paper left on the floor.

“I’m really sorry.” She hoped the girl understood the meaning behind the “I'm really sorry.” But one-nightstands are for one night, only that, no attachments.  She wasn't a person to do nightstands but one thing lead to another.

“Let’s go already.”

Jessica and Hyoyeon walked to the car together.

"Want to eat a sandwich? Or some hamburgers?"

"None of that, some salad and a yogurt."

"Are you kidding me?" She looked at Jessica with a weird face.

"I'm going to die of hunger with that!"

"You’re getting fat." She pinched Hyoyeon’s cheek.

"Besides you need to eat healthier these days." She pinched harder with a cute pout.

"Let's go to some new chinese place" It was a weird feeling every time Jessica treated her like that.


~~~~


“Mrs. Kim, your next appointment is already in your office.”

“Isn’t it a little bit early for her to be there?”

“I need to go, we’ll talk later.”

“Yes, bye.” She followed Jessica with her eyes until she disappeared from her sight.

“No, you are 15 minutes late.”

She glanced at her watch and sighed. A weird little notebook on Seohyun’s desk caught her attention. It was more like a journal, but she didn’t give it importance. She fixed her suit before entering her office. The lady looking at her pictures on her bookshelf caught her eyes. Most of her photos were of her and Jessica, and two of her closets co-workers in a dinner party.

The lady was glowing in a familiar way. A black dress with few green touches wrapped her features, and a big black hat gave her that glow but still she hasn’t figured out where she had seen and heard this lady.

“Hello, Miss Kim.” It was a very familiar voice to her. She looked at the lady, trying to figure out if her intuition was right.

“Hello Miss?” She didn’t remember the new client.

“Still forgetful as ever.” The lady giggled, but still didn’t face Hyoyeon. “Jung, Nicole Jung.” she took her hat off and turned around to face the shocked lawyer.

It took a few long minutes before Hyoyeon could realize she wasn’t dreaming, that this person was in front of her. She felt so many emotions she hadn’t felt in long years; confusion, anger, sadness, irritation, and emptiness. She didn’t forget this woman, which left marks in her in a few ways. Her hand covered her chest over her heart, all the memories of them together came back in the slip of a second, all her feelings came back. It wasn’t possible for to her say it in front of her. “I move on” If they didn’t have the proper closure to end the book together. Her eyes widened when she realized a good five minutes had passed and she hadn’t been able to say anything.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Well I hoped you guys like the start of this new whole story. 

I been having this story in my mind  for a long time, and I'm trying to keep it organized. This is my first story btw, so my updates will be sometimes far apart from each other. If the story start to get kinda messy please let me know, since I really dont like to read stories that skip important keys to keep people interested and I dont want to be part of those kind of authors. I'm very happy to answer questions, I accept recomendations and of course crticts are always welcome. 

That is what makes a good writer, right? I cannot please everyone but I will try. 
Any typos, grammar mistakes please let me know.
Thank you for taking the time to reading this. 
and
in advance Thank you for commenting.
^,^

--------------------------------------------------------------