Chapter 1

Without You

It was a cold, winter day in December, and Jonghyun and his daughter, Quinn were at home.

Jonghyun and Quinn sat on the couch, staing absently at the blinking television. Jonghyun rubbed his temple as actors began speaking English, then flipped the channel.

"Dad," Quinn whined, her dark eyebrows furrowing, "You have to learn to understand English."

Her father rolled his eyes.

"And you have to learn to understand Korean," Jonghyun replied in English, eyes still glued on the television. Quinn threw up her arms.

"See! You can understand English! Now why can't we watch American shows?" She exclaimed.

"Because we're Korean." Jonghyun said in monotone. His daughter's shoulders sagged, then held up a finger in protest.

"Like I said a million times, Appa, I was born in Amer-"

"You're still Korean, Quinn." Jonghyun interuppted with a sigh.

Quinn picked up her father's phone, which was on the table in front of the large sofa, and whimpered as she touched her face.

"I don't even look Korean," She pouted, running her fingers over her jawline and eyes. Jonghyun just sighed.

It was very true as a matter of fact. Quinn was born in Jacksonville, Florida, and was raised there for five years then her and her family moved back to South Korea for money reasons. And Quinn had inherited all of her mother's traits: Her wide, dark hazel eyes that changed color within the light, a button-like nose, and small, plump lips. She had a frail and slim frame, her straight, black hair ended at her ribs, which was pulled back into a high ponytail, that exposed her pale skin, bony collarbones, and  her heart-shaped face.

They've been living independently for four years, ever since their mother/wife passed away from a terrible shooting in their previous neighborhood.

Jonghyun scowled at the scarring memory, running his hand over the scar on his abdomen, that was caused by a man slashing a knife across his body. Luckily, the cut wasn't deep enough to injure his internal organs. It was the most atrocious moment of his entire life.

He was glad that Quinn begged to stay at a friend's house - she would've gotten killed if she went along .. like her mother.

Jonghyun's wife was so lovely; She was a sweet, genuine, beautiful person. They way her long, coconut colored hair blew back in the wind; the way her voice sounded like a melody whenever she spoke and laughed. The way her soft, musical voice turned hoarse and scratchy when she told Jonghyun she loved him and told him to take good care of their daughter.

The way she slumped to the ground when she took her last and final breath.

"-ppa!"

Jonghyun was strangely shaking then realized that Quinn was shaking him ferociously. He shook his head from the thoughts.

"What? What?" He exclaimed frantically.

"You were staring off into space and wouldn't respond when I was trying to snap you back!" Quinn giggled, a small smile on her lips. Jonghyun grinned sheepishly, shook his head as he gained his vision back.

"What were you thinking about, Appa?" Quinn asked cutely, her big, hazel doe eyes charming Jonghyun. Her father giggled - something he rarely did - and raised her on her feet.

"Hey let's go somewhere to eat," Jonghyun said eagrely, changing the subject and rubbed his tummy, and grabbed his coat. Quinn crossed her arms stubbornly.

"I'm not hungry."

Suddenly, a loud growl grumbled from her stomach. Jonghyun smirked.

"Liar," He laughed as they walked out of the apartment.

~

a/n- hey-yooooo. here's another story! just a couple chapters like i said in my blog.

quinn and jonghyun's relationship is undescribible.

hope you like it!

-VisionOfPerfection <3