Intersection

The Little Thing She Did

 

 

 

A good picture is whenever you had a lot of memory in it, although it was only taken by the VGA's resolution camera. You don’t say…

 

Sooyoung was sitting at her comfortable soft bed. It’s Sunday afternoon when she had nothing to do but being lazy around the house. She didn’t have to worry about Monday as there’s a week off before Christmas and another holiday until New Year. She followed her brother to the gym this morning, even though her favorite brother in the world was never there to work out. Seunghyun would just hang out there around with his friend Kwon Jiyoung, an indie artist working as fashion designer for indie clothing brand. They did nothing though, just sitting around while Sooyoung tried to produce some heat from squash. And after that, they spent some of their time as sibling by having a brunch together at the nearest rice cake stand.

Back at home, she’s tailing her mother in the kitchen. As much as she loves food, Sooyoung had a thing with cooking. She’d been certified by his father for making the best pancake for his breakfast every day. She even baked! And her love for sweet food was also something to brag about. No matter how much she ate, she’ll just have the same weight; making girls on her age feeling envy. Not only the body weight, had she made people envious also with her tiny waist and her long long skinny legs. She felt like skull, and haters called her anorexic, but everything’s fine as long as she has the love from the people around her.

Smiling at the one big envelope on her hands, Sooyoung happily put out the contents. She’s greeted by hundreds of pictures taken by Polaroid or her digital camera. She moved some of the pictures, separating it by group. It’s time to organize the pictures!

Sooyoung giggled at her pictures along with her high school friends, most was silly looking and crazy and sometimes it’s just random pictures, her favorite. She’s then moved to the pictures taken by her camera, it’s mostly consisted of her, Yuri, Hyoyeon, Junmyeon, and of course, Kris. Sooyoung randomly grabbed several photographs and as she placed herself on the bed with the soft cushion carefully placed behind her head, she looked at the pictures.

Those were her pictures taken with Kris. It’s the time when she travelled with him to the beach (no car, they departed with the train though and on the way back, Seunghyun was picked them up because they’re considered as minor still and her lovely brother was just being extra protective to his little sister). She found the picture when they celebrated their first anniversary as couple at the sky dining. Sooyoung thought that Kris was such a great boyfriend in terms of spoiling her. There’s one picture when Kris was back hugging her and sneakily took the picture of them while she looked away from him. She smiled to herself, softly touching the picture. She had a lot of memories with Kris though.

He was her first boyfriend, the closest guy in her life after Seunghyun and Changmin. He knew her at her best and of course at her worst (those PMS thingy when she’s a little bit out of control and yes, he handled her well). He’s a keeper though, butbutbut… both couldn’t promise themselves with the distance and no meeting for more than a month, so it’s over.

She liked to treasure her time with Kris though. Kris was like the best man ever she felt in love with. Yes, she likes Changmin, but Kris made her madly in love and taught her what relationship was while Changmin kept playing with her heart. The two years of relationship she spent with Kris was beautiful, she wouldn’t dare to forget.

Kris, different from his outer package looked like, was really soft and gentle and sweet. He got those teasing, but still, treated her at his best. He was her first kiss. One hot summer and they were hanging at his place, a flat near the university. He was playing with his Xbox and she was joining him on the couch and when they battled each other and she was lose, all they did was laughing together. The laughter then replaced by a silent and soft gaze, fingers intertwined and then lips suddenly met.

It’s sweet, short, and soft. She loves it and she knew he loves it too. And she finally figured out about those fireworks in the stomach that she always read on the sweet teenage love story.

Sooyoung stopped at one picture, smiling. It was a picture of Kris walking in the campus and she had her Polaroid with her so she just took a picture of it and treasured it. That’s a beautiful a picture of him, her favorite picture. She wondered what he’s doing right now, it’s already more than a year the last time she saw him, the day he departed to Shanghai. And looking at the picture again, she knew that if there’s no such thing like distance, she’d be happy with him. Wouldn’t she?   

She put the pictures of her and Kris at one big box colored metallic grey, along with those gifts from him. No, it’s not a right time to being melancholic. New Year was about to come and all she needed to be was a new hope and new resolution and-

Sooyoung’s cellphone was ringing. Lazily waking up to her nightstand, she used her long leg to grab the phone and found that Changmin was calling him. Maybe in her life, she’ll always face these two guys; that’s the problem.

Not too long after that, she heard his voice on the other side of the phone. Laughing and giggling and all about being happy, making her did the same things like him. And her hand slipped through one of the pictures spread on the bed as they talked on the phone; Changmin pictures when he’s eating the ramyeon mouthful. Sooyoung still found it’s such a magic for her to smile just over a picture like that.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So what do you say about having some drink and just chill out?” Changmin asked her on the phone. There’s no response for a while. He’s hoping that she’ll say yes though, after the night they spent together on his graduation party.

Changmin was finally graduated with A and earned him the degree in civil Engineering. And after his graduation ceremony, here comes the after party where all graduated students were given the party by their juniors. It’s all about food, drink, some alcohol, music, and chat along with the party but it was fun and all Changmin did most of the time (if he’s not surrounded by his boys from the engineering department) was checking on Sooyoung who’s joining the party.

He’s never hitting on any girls after her last fight with Sooyoung. He’s just hanging around here and there a lot (most of the time with her company) and had fun, without looking at any other girl in the party except for her. Yes, Choi Sooyoung was somehow stole his attention, if it wasn’t already started since high school. But he always keeps it low and down, pressuring his own feeling for her.

For him, Sooyoung was a very great friend and as a man, he saw her as a beautiful charming woman. No wonder if Kris treasured her a lot. He’s envious though when Kris was being Sooyoung’s boyfriend. He never admitted that he’s jealous or felt like losing Sooyoung once she’s in a relationship, but he knew that he’s regretting something. People always said that he’s a god in dating and were such a womanizer, but truth was, he got zero experience in that area.

Changmin couldn’t remember when the last time he fell in love; the feeling when all things in the world were just beautiful and he just wanted to see that one person every time every day. He had fallen in love several times; with Yoonhee, with Jessica. Yeah, he fell in love with them. But girls after them, was nothing more than just flirt and crappy relationship.

But again, Sooyoung felt like the home to him. Whenever he had a bad day due to the laboratory project, annoying professor, or stupid fight with his girlfriend, he could always come to her. Maybe it’s because she’s never judging him, or telling him what to do, or simply just being a good friend in a bad time. He’s just feeling comfortable with her, maybe way too comfortable that he started to feel like he’s falling in love again; but somehow he just couldn’t admit it or tell her how he feel towards her.

Sooyoung was too good for him. She deserved someone better than a reckless playboy like him for her life. She needed someone reliable and trustworthy and all about giving her all the attention, just like Kris did. There’s a pang in his heart once he knew about their relationship but he really wished that she’s ended up with him because he knew he couldn’t be as good as Kris in terms of becoming her boyfriend. Not even when he admitted that he fell for this girl whom he had in daily basis.

Even if he later on confessed to her about his feeling, there wouldn’t be much nothing left to say because he couldn’t offer anything for her. As much as he knew about her disliking for long distance relationship, he’d be ended up being like Kris.

Changmin looked at the envelope on his desk while he’s listening to Sooyoung story about what she and her brother did earlier in the morning. He softly touched it; afraid that even a single touch might broke it. He’s accepted to a civil engineering company in Berlin and more than just a job, he got offered to get his master also. All he needed to do was taking a year working experience under the company and schooling while working from the second year of. So he got the job and the scholarship for the master degree he always dreamed of and nothing could beat it. Except for the fact that he’ll be leaving her.  And those were the reason why he wanted to see her tonight, bidding her goodbye.

“Out for drink? How about coffee? I don’t think I’m good with alcohol lately” she replied lazily.

“Dinner?”

“Sure. Where are we going to meet?” she asked him.

“Hangang River?”

She noted to meet him there at 7 that night. He was more than happy to see her again before he’s heading to Berlin. Maybe he’ll just tell her that he’ll go to Berlin and they could still communicate through the internet. Maybe. There’s a lot to tell to Sooyoung, he’s excited even just to think about it.

But tonight, he’ll try his best to tame his greatest fear: admitting his feeling for Choi Sooyoung.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Sooyoung, Honey. Your friend was here”

Sooyoung was straightening her dress when her mom was calling her, informing that her friend was coming. She frowned; she had no schedule to meet with any of her friend at home. She clapped at her own, it must have been Changmin. She rolled her eyes as she knew that she’s kind of being late to meet him, but she should admit that he’s being thoughtful for pick her up before their meeting.

She walked down the stairs and found no one at the ground floor. Seemed like her mom was in the kitchen and her father and brother were nowhere to be seen. Putting her handbag on the couch in the living room, Sooyoung stepped forward and found that the front door was half opened. She heard some voices, people were chattering. It must be Changmin and her dad, as she knew he likes to talk about the airplane construction, her father’s hobby.

“Hello all!” she jumped in to the terrace and frozen. Her mom, dad, and brother were stopped talking as they looked at her along with one more pair of eyes. He’s smiling once he saw her, waving a bit.

Looking warmed and solemn on his knitted red sweater, Kris greeted her with his gorgeous smile. “Hi, Sooyoung”

And Sooyoung knew her meeting with Changmin should be rescheduled.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“Shoot! Where the hells are you coming from, Dude?” Kyuhyun asked Changmin once he saw him at the club. He looked all freezing and cold and he had a problem breathing from what Kyuhyun saw. “Were you being outside this whole time?”

“Whoa. Someone is freezing” Jonghyun commented as he touched Changmin’s hand. “Where have you been?” he asked him warmly.

“It takes time to park the car and it was just happened to be really snowy outside” Changmin replied with his pale face and freezing hand.

“I’m going to order you some hot chocolate” Kyuhyun said but Changmin held his hand.

“Beer, please”

He’s feeling really cold by now and it’s really drives him crazy. The temperature was really low lately and he immediately regretting the offer to meet at Hangang River with Sooyoung. He did something stupid: buying her flowers and a pack of banana milk, hoping that it wouldn’t be too much to help him confess to her. But yeah, still. He tried.

He’s been waiting for her for almost two hours and wondering where she was when he realized that his phone was actually set on silent, so he didn’t notice her text. And what he read was just hit his heart colder than the wind outside. She cancelled their meeting and offered to meet him on Tuesday, because something came up. And she told him that maybe next time they could hang out around the Hangang River.

He got a mixed feeling. Well, he of course hoped that he could see her before he’s going to Berlin and wondered if she’s aware that on Tuesday, he’ll be on Berlin already; which he knew she was not, because he’s about to tell her now. But he couldn’t do anything because who was he to tell her to come to meet him if she had something more important than meeting him. So he walked out from Hangang River, trashing the flower and the banana milk to the garbage bin and turned his cellphone off to join his fellow mates on the club.

Changmin somehow hoped she knew that the ‘next time’ that she referred on her text wouldn’t be anytime soon in the next 3 years.    

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

…And just like that, he was off to Berlin, just 2 days after the last time I cancelled our meeting. No goodbye, no farewell, nothing. He must really think that I’m just a mere friend, because if I had a friend like him and I was about to go to another continent for years, I’d like to call him and let him know that I wished him all the very best for his journey and will feel lonely without his presence. But not Shim Changmin.

 

Sulli closed the last page of the diary that she was reading. So the Shim Changmin guy was leaving her unnie to study in Berlin without any farewell. She realized now what she had been reading on one of her diaries earlier when she found it that she was missing SCM. It was Shim Changmin and she missed her because he’s her first love and good friend and he just left her like that. She wondered how they met again…

Just like realizing something, Sulli opened the page of the last post on the diary and checked on the date. It’s around a year before Sooyoung graduated and went to Paris to join Seunghyun on his business trip. Was that time she met him again in Europe?

Sulli rolled her eyes and fell to the softness of the matrass. This love story of her cousin was captivating and she’s drawn to it. Sulli took the book and looked at the cover wondering how her happy cousin kept something deep like this all alone could. Sulli suddenly felt something fell on her face.

“Ouch” she winched at the thing and when she took it, she found blue envelope lying next to her. She took it and examined it. The envelope was fully glued and quite thick, she bet that there’re several papers inside. She recognized the handwriting on the front side of the envelope, it was Sooyoung’s.

To: Shim Changmin

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

 

Scene by scene kept coming in my head. 

Thank you for reading, guys.

Appreciate it.