CHAPTER 2

ILLUSION OF FOREVER : GOODBYE

Kevin got inside his car and slammed the door shut. He leaned his head on the top of his seat and closed his eyes, tears betraying his feelings. He easily brushed them away as he looked at his wet hand. He sighed and slapped something nearby in anger. He tried calming himself, but the thought of her just echoed back; anything he could possibly think of would have at least a slight connection to her. Why did it have to be her, why...?

[ Flashback ]

"Hello?" Kevin picked up the phone.
"Hehe." the girl at the other end chuckled, "It's me, baby!"
"Oh," Kevin smiled at the thought of his girlfriend, "Hey, what's up?" he leaned casually against the phone table, drifting his thoughts off to her angelic image.
"Nothing..." she pouted. "How about you?"
"Same here..." he sighed.
"Hey, do you have anything to do right now?"
"Right now...?" he thought, "Uhm, no, why? Fancy going out?"
"Hm..." she hummed, "Not really. Would you like to pass by my place this evening?"
"Sure, I'll be there at 7pm." Kevin turned around, ready to hang up the call.
"Kevin... I want you to come now, can you? Please." her voice seemed like begging.
"Seong Jin...? Seong Jin, is everything alright? You don't sound like-..."
"PLEASE, Kevin! Come!" she shouted in the phone as she slammed it and hung up.

Kevin felt his knees weaken and tremble as he put the phone down - something wasn't right at all. In less than a second, he grabbed his jacket and dashed out the door towards Seong Jin's. He didn't bother putting on his jacket, even though the snowflakes pinched the skin of his arms until he reached the car. Because it was almost frozen, the engine barely managed to start. Kevin punched the steering wheel in frustration as he threw his jacket onto the backseat. He stepped harshly on the acceleration and on his way to Seong Jin's, he almost caused three or four accidents. Fortunately, he ended up only with a few scratches on his metallic black sports car. He pulled up in front of her house and rushed towards the door. He knocked at it and waited for her to answer. But nothing - he could only hear a soft chuckle from behind the door. Was she preparing something...?

"Seong Jin, open the door!" Kevin tried forcing the door.
"Hehe..." Seong Jin giggled. "Come in, it's open!" she said on a cutesy tone.
"Seong Jin, what the heck are you planning? The door is locked!" Kevin shouted, pushing himself into the door.
"It's open, silly!" a loud thud and a dripping sound filled Kevin's ears as he stopped forcing the door.
"What's happening? What are you doing? Open the door already!" Kevin banged his hand on the door.

He slowly backed off a step as he heard the door unlocking. But it didn't open. He swallowed both in anticipation and fear and, with a trembling hand, he opened the door with a swift move. It was dark inside; he couldn't distinguish anything. As the door closed behind him, he stretched his hands in front, trying at least to feel where he was. He heard steps on the old wooden floor, as it screeched under the walker's weight - it directed towards the side of the room. A ray of vivid light filled the room as Seong Jin pulled the curtains from a single window. Kevin's eyes widen, his jaw drops lower than the floor level; he couldn't believe his sight.

"Seong Jin... Seong Jin, have you done all this?" he stared in amazement at what he saw before his own eyes.
"Yes... Yes, ain't it great, dear?" she answered happily, a broad smile plastered on her angelic face.

Kevin could have sworn he hadn't seen a more bloody scenery in all his life - three bodies laying on the floor with their eyes wide open, each of them 'enjoying' a bath in his or her own cold blood. Seong Jin held her toddler sister in her arms, rocking her easily.

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star..." she sang with a low voice, more like humming a soft, sweet tone, with a smile on her face. "How I wonder..." she paused and held the toddler by her waist with one hand. Her smile turned 180 degrees as, with the other hand, she snapped the toddler's neck and let it fall to the ground with a loud thud, followed by a hysteric laugh. Kevin's knees weakened at the sight as he fell onto his knees. Seong Jin couldn't keep her steps straight - she skipped towards Kevin and fell right before reaching him. She crawled towards him and used his body as a support for her ballance. She leaned her body on his as her face made its way towards his neck. She easily blew hot air and smirked against his skin before digging her teeth into his neck with a swift and deep bite. No, she wasn't a vampire. She was just mentally disordered. Yet, Kevin loved her dearly. He thought she'll get better with time, but time didn't have any patience with her... He didn't think she'll go thus far. As he felt her teeth against his flesh, he pushed her away, causing her to stain her clothes with blood.

"Look what you did, baby..." she looked at herself as blood dripped from her clothes. "Now you have to wait for me to get changed...!" she exclaimed.

But she didn't have time to react. The only thing passing through Kevin's mind right now was to get her as soon as possible to the hospital. He picked her up and put her in the backseat of his car, driving off to the nearest hospital.

"Baby, I'm feeling watched..." she murmured.
"You ARE watched... By me." he didn't take his eyes off the road, but spied her actions in the upper mirror.
"No, not by you..."

[ End of Flashback ]

He felt guilty. He felt like the world was on his shoulders now. He felt the huge guilt of not taking care of her better than he did. He had a hysteria access as he stepped as hard as he could onto the acceleration, driving off to wherever the wheels would take him - the ocean, the city, home, Heaven or Hell.