Fate, they say?

Tough Teddy

Noona, ...Junhong is coming over today," Hana comes in my room opening the door "just letting you know."

"When is he NOT over." I return my attention to changing Jae's dirt diaper.

"Shut-up." She laughs coming to kneel next to me on the bed, studying Jae.

"Isn't he like your boyfriend or something?" I say grabbing a bottle of powder.

"NO!" Hana snaps causing me to laugh. "He's just my friend..."

"You told him you loved him!"

"SO! I love all my friends..." She justifies.

"Do you also kiss all your friends?" I smirk.

"NO!.... just Junhong, that ONe......two or three times."

I crack up, taping the ends of Jaes diaper.

"Sound's like a relationship to me..." I sing, lifting up Jae, setting her down on her own crib.

"IT'S NOT!" She snaps again, following across the room. "... It's just...I don't know."

I chuckle, looking at my cute little sister, I smile. "You LIKE Junhong, and he OBVIOUSLY likes you." I roll my eyes thinking of all the gestures Junhong makes to her. "So, what's the problem."

"There is none..." She says nervously her hair.

"I know!" I gasp smiling. "You're SCARED."

"What?!? ME? SCARED!?!"  She gasps. "NEVER THAT!"

"Sis," I put my hand on her shoulder. "It's ok. Junhong is a nice boy. If out of all the people in the world I! ME! Mi Hi! Can trust him, you can too."

She suddenly sincerely smiles. "Ok, I guess you are right."

"Noona's always right." I turn my attention back to Jae, fitting her in her little blue skirt.

"But that skirt sure isn't."

"WHY are you always hating on my skirts." I turn to her and she laughs.

"Anyway, could you two babysit while I go to work earlier than usual today?"

"No problem, sis."

"THANK YOU!" I sigh. "You're a lifesaver."


Wiggling the keys, I open the door and I hear crying.

"How refreshing." I sigh, walking into the living room.

I glance on the couch, and JAE is fast asleep. "Then who is-"

"For the LAST TIME Junhong, I will NOT feed you! You are NOT a baby!" Hana rolls her eyes.

"But I'm YOUR baby!" He then leas forward, wrapping his arms around her.

"Eh...." I make a disgusted sound setting my purse on the coffee table.

Hana shoves him away and looks up at me. "How'd it go today at the restaurant?"

"Ah, I made some nice tips today." I say pulling out a wad of money. Mostly ones.

"Maybe next week I can put a down payment on a-" HONNK! HONNNK! HONNNK!

"Ah, Jeez." I say rushing over to Jae who is fully awake now. "I was gonna be able to study for my exams too!"

"Ah, I think that's my hyung! He's here to pick me up." Junhong got up from the floor with Hana following behind him. "Sorry, Mi Hi Noona."

"Aish! Tell that to Jae!" I say rocking her feverishly "and you tell your "HYUNG" that the next time he honks his horn of his I'LL-"

"BYE JUNHONG!" Hana rushes him out the door and shuts it behind him.

"Jeez..." I sigh. 

Hana squints. "Could you please shut that thing up."

"This THING is your NIECE! And I'm TRYING! I have to study for my midterm exams for collage and I have another nightshift at the club in TWO hours."

"HERE." Hana takes the baby from me. "I'll keep baby sitting her until mom comes home, you go study...then get changed for work."

"Really?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Yes." She sighs. 

I kiss her forehead. "You're a life saver!"


"We'll take a couple drinks over here, hotstuff."

Rolling my eyes I go over to the table whose calling me.

I hate this job, but I love the pay. The pay is all that matters, so i can move out of that stuffy little house with Jae. I can't wait till I quit this job, i hate the darkness of it, and the drunken JERKS that always "flirt" and harass me. I hate the fact that it reminds me of....bad times...

"What would you like?"

"A round of shots with a side of you?" he smirks.

"Stop man." His friend sitting across from him says.

"Oh HUSH, I'mm just havein a lil fun with her!" He laughs. "Ain't that right, hun?"

"And what would you like?" I say ignoring him, and talking to his friend.

"Nothing, thank you."

"AW! QUIT BEING A LIL !" His friend erupts.

"I'm DRIVING. I JUST got my license I don't want them taken away."

"." his friend sips on his previous drink.

 

Hmm, That’s a first time hearing that in a place like this…. I like this guy.

Returning back, I hand the man his drinks.

“Your drinks.”

“Thank’s Baby, now what do you say you take your shift of and we head over to my place.”

“No, thank-you.” I roll my eyes.

“Mmm-hmm…” He bites his eyes looking at me in my black cocktail dress uniform.

“Have a nice night.” I say turning around.

THWAP!

I turn around glaring.

Before I could even speak, his friend got up and was just as angry as I was.

“KIM! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TODAY!?!”

“nunin im juss havin sum fun!” he says with his words slurred all over the place.

“DOES SHE LOOK LIKE SHE’S HAVING FUN TO YOU!?!”

“She looks like… ah…” he burps “!”

WHAP!

I couldn’t take it any longer. This job is not worth my dignity.

The man jumps up. “Oh, You wanna GO!?! HUH!?  You little BEEEEEE” He raises his hand to hit me back but his friend grabs his arm violently and twists it behind his back.

“WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! YOU NEVER TREAT A GIRL THAT WAY! YOU TREAT WOMAN WITH THE SAME RESPECT YOU TREAT YOUR MOTHER OR SISTER!”

I look at the man in shock, he seems my age.

“IF SHE’S A , THEN SO IS YOUR MOTHER!”

“My mumma aint no…ahh yadaaa…” he seems to be getting more drunk by the second.

“THIS is the LAST TIME YOU ARE GOING TO ANOTHER BAR.” He says before turning to me “I am sorry, for my ….friend.” The man says to me. “When he is sober, he is much better…sometimes. But I apologize for his disrespectful ways, we shall be going now…and uh, here.” He places something on the table before shoving his friend all the way to the exit.

In shock, I look at what he left…. It’s a wad of money.
Those guys must’ve been RICH.


 

I sleepily remove my shoes, and clothes, slipping into my night gown, turning off Jae’s nightlight to save them on the electricity bill. I figure If I start practicing saving money now, I’ll save money when I get my new apartment. I smile over Jae’s crib. “One day, soon. I promise you, you’ll have your own room.”

I go to my bed and rest my tired head. “Please, don’t let me have another nightmare again….please.” I pray softly to myself. I hate that repeated nightmare.

Sweat trickling down my face and neck, running, and running, seeing nothing but darkness, and his voice. Laughing. Nothing but tears surrounds me. And pain. Lots of pain.

Yeah, I hate that nightmare the most.


"Well, I'm leaving you guys."

"The night club opens this early?" 

I laugh at Jongup's confused expressions. 

 

“Silly, I also work at a restaurant.”

“Oh,” Jongup nods “Do they sell meats?” he smiles.

“What kind of restaurant doesn’t sell MEATS.” Eun mi gives him a look.

His face turns serious. “A vegetarian restaurant.”

I laugh, walking away. “Well, it’s not a vegetarian restaurant, and they do sell meats.” I grab my coat.

He grins wider. “We should go sometime.” He says to Eun Mi.

“All you think about is meats and Eun Mi.” Hana rolls her eyes.

“And all YOU think about is Junhong!” I defend my lil’ Cheetos friend.

Hana blushes “By the way, by the time you come back, he’ll be over here.”

“DON’T let him touch my baby food!”

“Baby food?” Eun Mi tilts her head.

“He said he wanted to know what it tasted like.” Hana shrugs.

“Ah,” Jongup nodded. “Was it good?”

“I DON’T KNOW!” Hana made a face.

I shake my head. “By guys, See ya baby.” I blow a kiss intended to Jae.

“Bye!” Jongup smiles.

“UGH! She meant the baby!” Eun Mi punched his tone arm.

“Oh,….and that hurt your hand didn’t it?” He smirks at her, knowing it did.

“No….” she lies, holding her hand in pain.

He smirks. “Cheetos.”

I shut the door amused.

 


 

Cleaning off a table from a rude customer I look for a tip.

“AIsh?! What’s this?” I pick up a SINGLE penny. “One cent?”

I put down my towel, and rush to catch him before he exists from the door.

“Sir,” I touch his shoulder, and he turns around. “I believe this is yours.”

“This is your TIP.” He practically spits in my face.

I laugh to myself, calming down.

“No sir, I cannot accept this.”

“Why! Are you too HIGH MAITNECE!?! HUH?!?”

People turn their attention to us.

“Umm. No sir, that is not the case. I am very grateful for your gesture.”

He nods. “but, I cannot accept this, because I think that YOU need this more than I do.” I drop the penny in his hand and turn around. “Good day.”

The restaurant fills with a few claps.

“Hey, I got this Mi Hi.” My friend says cleaning up my table. “You should go to THAT table.” She winks pointing to a table with one single guy sitting.

He looks like he just came from the work out place next door…but the thing is, he’s not all sweaty. He’s wearing a black tank top, and gym shorts,… his hair is red and black. Interesting.

I roll my eyes “You know I have no time for a relationship.”

She just shoos me away.

“Hell, My name is Mi Hi, I will be your waiter today.” I smile.

He’s REALLY well built.

He grins up to me. “Hello, Mi Hi, how are you today.” He sets down his menu.

That’s a first. “I’m well, thanks for asking.”

“Heh, seems like you’re having a ruff day.” He raises his eyebrow.

I shrug. “Nah, stuff like this happens to me commonly.  I’m used to it.”

His face stiffens. “You shouldn’t be.” He shakes his head.

I shift awkwardly, not knowing what to say to that. He seems really familiar.

“People should treat others with respect,” he continues “especially men towards women. They should treat them how they treat their mothers.”

DING!

“Hey, I know you! You’re the guy from the bar.”

His eyes widen. “Ah, yes…again, I’m sorry for what happened with my friend, and just now. I’m glade you are strong person.” He nods.

“You seem stronger than I am?”

“Huh?” He begins laughing.

Warmth surrounds my face “Ah, I mean…would you like to place an order?"


 

“It was so weird Hana, I’ve met the same guy twice. At BOTH jobs.” I say putting a chip in my mouth.

“Hmm, maybe it’s fate!” Hana smirks.

“No,” I squint. “I’m not going to be in a relationship with anyone, ESSPECIALLY him. He seems like a beast or something…he’s all muscular and manly looking, and I have a baby….plus you know I don’t trust people anymore.”

Her face saddens. “besides family, you know that.”

“Yes, but noona, you will never find love this way!”

“Love doesn’t pay the bills, Hana.” I get up. “You’re learn that when you’re older.”

 


 

Putting on my Restaurant uniform I smile, remembering that red headed man.

“Hey guys.” I slouch on the couch.

“Junhong, you so annoying!” Hana rolls her eyes.

“But you love it!” He smiles blinking his eyes at her.

She smiles also, but looking up at me instead.

“You aren’t leaving?”

“Eh! Why are you trying to get me to leave so soon?” I ldan forward from the couch.

“I’m not, it’s just that you useually leave straight away.”

“You getting ride of your noona!” I . “Why, to have some alone time with Junhong!?”

Junhong grins. “Yes!”

“NO!” Hana shoves him, blushing hard.

I crack up at my own self.

“Uhm, Junhong, you’re rides here.” Hana points to the figure at the screen door.

“Huh? ALREADY!?”

I glance to see  a really muscular figure at the door.

“NO! HYUNG! Why is going to the gym so early! HIDE ME!” He jumps behind the house.

“JUNHONG! YOU HAVE TO GO HOME!”

“I’ll NEVER LEAVE YOU!” Junhong squeals.

I sigh, getting up. “I guess I’ll get it.” I say getting up.

“Hell-“

Knock knock, knock.

I freeze, covering my face cracking up in laughing.

THIS GUY REALLY! Knocking on a screen door RIGHT in my face.

He also laughs, facepalming himself.

I open the door, and put out my hand.

“Hello?” I laugh.

“Yeah, sorry about that, uhm…I’m here to see ..i mean, pick up…”

“junhong?” I raise an eyebrow.

“Um, Yes.” He nods.

He seems familiar, like we’ve met before.

“JUNHONG! Comes from over there!” Hana struggles pulling junhongs arm, dragging him from behind the couch.

“I’LL NEVER LEAVE YOU! NOONA!”

“Kids.” He shakes his head.

I nod agreeing “I know right.”

The guy goes and lifts Junhong off of the ground with ease.

He’s familiarly strong, too.

“YONGGUK HYUNG! LET ME GOOO!!!” Junhong cries.

I cover my mouth laugh as he just lifts him higher.

“AIIGH!” Junhung cries in fear.

“Alright, sorry.” He laughs setting him down.

“You’re just showing off in front of Mi Hi noona…” Junhong mutters dusting himself off.

I glance away, embarrassed.

Hana smirks.

The man just gives Junhong a playful shove.

“EEP!” Junhong makes a loud sound high-pitched sound.

“WAAHHHHHHH!” Jae erupts.

“Awe, You BABO YOU AWOKEN THE ANGEL!” The man shoves Junhong again.

I laugh at the reference he made of Jae; angle.

“May I?” He looks at me.

“I was uh…just going to…”  I say in shock that he want’s to comfort my child.

I can’t wait to see his face when he finds out it’s MY child. Probably “Wow, you must be a ” or “I’m disappointed.” Face.

“Please?” He raises his eyebrow.

“Hmm….ok?” I nod.

He smiles and lifts it up delicately. Staring down, grinning.

For a tough looking guy, he’s really….nice.

The screaming sounds of Jae softens, as she stares back up into the face of the stranger.

He glances over at me. “This is a beautiful baby.”

“Thank you.” I force a smile.

“Yeah, I presume it’s yours?”

I stand back in shock. “How’d you know?”

“She has your pretty eyes.”

My mouth makes an o shape, not knowing what to say I start to sturtter. “I-Uhm, thank you.”

He just smiles, nodding, then softly sets down my precious Jae, where he found her on the couch.

“Wow, it’s 2:00.” Hana said looking up at the clock.

I jump. “What!? Really, I have to get going!”

“Well, I guess I’ll just take Zelo, come on.” The man says.

“Zelo?” Hana questions.

“Yeh, my cousion nicknamed me Zelo, after a greek god.”

“Since he is very talented.” The man nods smiling.

“Aw, how cute.” I chuckle.

“Yeah, he’s one big SOFTY!” Junhong teases.

The man rolls his eyes.

“Well, It was nice meeting you- uh..”

I accept his hand, I suspected it was going to me a firm shake, but it’s gentle... He seems so familiar….and it’s really weird how he’s so strong looking but so gentle and caring…

“I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Oh, Mi Hi, my name is Mi hi.” I smile.

He grins. “YongGuk.”

“This is the longest handshake I’ve ever witnessed.” Hana blurts out.

YongGuk reacts quickly by removing his hand, and places it behind his neck awkwardly.

“Well,” I start to change the subject “I should walk to work?”

“Oh, where do you work?” Yong Guk asks curiously.

“I work on the Restaurant by the training center on palm street.”

His face turns shocked. “I knew I knew you from somewhere! You’re that girl with the penny!” he says estacticlly.

“The girl with the penny- OH MY GOD!” I cover my mouth. “You’re that really polite guy.”

“Small world.” He smiles.

Hana coughs. “FATE, ahem…excuse me.”

“Do you want me to go get some water or something?” Junhong asks.

“Yes,” I answer for her “then drown her in it.” I glare at her.

She just smirks as the boys laugh.

“Well, I gotta get walking.”

“That’s a long walk!” Young Guk says concerned.

“Yeah, well, I like my exercise.” I lie, walking over to get my purse.

“You know, I work at the training center right next door there, I’m about to go there now, after I drop off Junhong-“

“HYUNG! You don’t have to take me home right away! You can go take Mi Hi Noona and after work, drop her back off here, and pick me up!”

YoungGuk looks at me, “is that ok with you.”

I smile. “Thank you,” I bow.

“It’s nothing, really.” He opens the door for me.

“Byyyee nooonnaaaa!” Hana smirks.

I roll my eyes. “Just go watch Jae.”

“Mhhkay.” 


 

Walking outside, I see a black chevy parked outside the house. He opened the passengers seat, Embarresingly I climbed in. “This is a BIG car.” I exclaimed as I climbed inside.

He laughs, closing my door, like a gentle men.

I looked around while he was walking around his car.

Seems spotless.

He opens the door, and climbs in, shutting the door behind himself.

“Ready?” he smiles.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” I mutter.

He chuckles. “THAT’S the spirit.”  He pat’s my back before sticking a card in his mouth, reversing the car.

I look away awkwardly, trying not to stare at him.


 

“Aish!” He yells.

I suddenly wake up. “Ah, wah!? Oh…” I come to my senses.  We’re in traffic.

“I’m sorry I startled you.” He apologizes.

“It’s alright.” I stretch. “Haven’t slept like that in a while.” I smile.

He chuckles. “I also apologize about all this traffic, you could’ve walked and made it faster.”

“Yeah, I guess.” I shrug. “But, this way I get more sleep.” I flash a smile.

He nods, looking forward.

“Well, since I’m up… maybe we could get to know each other better, since my Hana and your Junhong are intertwined together, we’ll be seeing more of each other.”

He grins, “Alright, what do you wanna know?”

“Hm, how old are you?”

“I’m 22.”

“Me too!” I gasp.

He laughs at my reaction. “Alright, my turn…why do you go to those jobs, when the customers treat you so wrong?”

I sigh. “Because, of my Jae.”

“Your boyfriend?” He asks.

I burst into hysterical laughter as he stares at me seriously. “HAHAH! Boyfriend?,” I take a breathe in. “No.”

He chuckles nervously.

“I don’t have a boyfriend, husband, lover, none of them.”

“Ohhhh.”

“Jae is my daughter.”

“Oh!” His mind is blown.

“Ok, now it’s my turn.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you think I’m too young to be a single mom?” This question is gonna surprise him-
 

“Nope.”

“Wha- Really?” I give him a look.

He laughs, “Yeah. At least you’re out of highschool. And you seem to know what you’re doing. It seems that Jae is healthy, you’re employed, DOUBLE employed. You go to work even though you hate it. You’re stronger than most girls I know.”

I can’t help but look out the window. “…thank you…”

“It’s my turn.”

I turn back around, grinning.

“Um, I’m not sure If I should ask.”

“Ask!, It’s fine!” I grin.

“Alright,…um…,” he scratches his neck again “…does jae have a….father?”

My smile fades slowly.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have…”

“It’s fine!” I reassure him. I sigh and begin. “She has a father, … he’s not in her life. He’s a dead beat dad. We were together in highschool.”

The more I tell that story, the more it seems real, and not a bad dream.

“Oh…” He nods.

“My turn!” I change the subject.

“Why did you come to the club with your friend that one time.”

“THAT, I don’t know… I’m glad I did though, he was out of control.”

I laugh. “Yeah….”

Getting out the car I laugh.

“Thanks for the ride.” I say to youngguk as he follows me inside.

“Awe, look at them.” I smile adoring how Junhong and Hana have fallen asleep on the couch, Hana’s head on Junhongs shoulder, with his arm wrapped around her.

“Cute.” He laughs.

We both give eachother a look.

“Shall we?” I smile.

He nods.

“WAKE UP!”

The two both jump, with there faces heating up, noticing there previous position.

“Well, I- I think it’s time I go, Hana..” Junhong gets up embarrassed.

Hana smiles smally, looking at the grown. “Bye, Junhong.”

“Woah, no “LEAVE BABO.” I whisper to Youngguk.

He wiggles his eyebrows up and down. “Ohh.”

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Youngguk asks.

“I’d like that.” I smile to him at the door.

“great, See ya!”

I close the door behind them, and look at Hana.

Squinting my eyes at her.

“What?”

“YOU BETTER NOT BE PREGNANT!”

She bursts into laughter. “WE JUST WATCHED A MOVIE NOONA!”

 


 

I think I'm going to make this into a short story instead of a oneshot so please subscribe and comment! Thank you. Oh, and I've gotten better with spelling!