Fated Meeting

Surreptitious

c h a p t e r o n e


 
The only things in the room were you and the mat and blanket you were sleeping on.
Just then you saw a shadow behind the screen door.
Your heart raced as you wondered who it was.
 
"I see you've woken up," You heard a male's voice call from outside the room.

 

The screen door slide open slowly and revealed a pale face.

He had coffee colored eyes, and they looked gentle.

His hair was a brownish blonde and he wore traditional clothes.

A warm smile appeared on his face as he invited himself into the room.

 

"I'm so happy that you're okay," He began explaining to you what happened.

"Well you see, I was on the front porch watching the rain fall when I remembered that I had left the laundry outside to dry in the backyard. So I quickly ran to the backyard to collect my clothes. I was about to go inside but then I saw a weird object in the distance. It turns out it was you! I panicked a little bit, but I managed to bring you back to my home. I'm just happy that you're alright!"

You smiled and said, "Thank you for taking care of me. I am grateful."

He chuckled, "It's no problem. Stay here. I'll go get you something to snack on. You must be famished."

And with that said, the mysterious male left the room.

 

You sighed and slid open a screen door that revealed the porch.

While you watched the rainfall you started wondering when it would stop.

You looked to your left and saw a few articles of clothes hanging on a clothes line to dry.

You were speechless when saw your clothes on the clothes line too.

 

At first you checked out your body making sure that the mysterious man that just left didn't do anything funny while you were asleep.

Then you analyzed the clothing that you were changed into and gasped.

You were wearing a hwalot*.

Suddenly you we're extremely curious who the male was.

 

You returned to the room that you slept in and closed the door to the porch.

Moments after, the stranger returned with a slice nokcha* cake.

He nervously laughed as he handed you the plate.

"I'm not sure if you'll like it... but I baked it this morning."

 

You blushed remembering that he was most likely the person who changed you out of you clothes since no one else seemed to be around.

You nodded and quickly said thank you before taking the slice of cake.

As you were about to take a bite you lowered your fork.

'What if he put something in it...?' You thought to yourself.

 

He simply laughed.

And as if he read your mind, he said, "Don't worry. I didn't do anything to it."

"T-That's not what I was worried about!" You defended yourself by lying.

He flashed you a look that had 'Yeah right!' written all over it.

 

You ignored his sarcastic face and took a bite of the cake.

The flavor was subtly sweet and the texture was soft.

You turned towards the man and complimented his baking skills.

"Do you really think it's good!?" He exclaimed excitedly.

 

He confessed that it was his first time making nokcha cake.

"Nuh uh! You're so lying. This tastes so professional!" You said not believing him.

"Believe what you want," He started, "But today really is the first time I've made nokcha cake."

"Then you must be a really good baker then!"

 

"It's just a hobby of mine," He said with a small laugh.

You laughed along with him.

"Oh by the way," You began, "Was it you who changed my clothes?"

His pale cheeks turned slightly pink as he slowly nodded.

 

"I promise I tried my hardest not to look!" He justified, "I didn't take off your undergarments..." He trailed off.

You simply giggly at him getting flustered with the question you asked.

"It's okay. I just wanted to thank you the person who took me out of wet clothes so that I wouldn't get sick," You smiled, "So thank you... um... I'm sorry but I don't know your name," You said surprised that you didn't ask him for it yet.

"Ah. How rude of me not to introduce myself. I'm Woo Sunghyun, but people call me Kevin. And you are?" He held out his hand for you to shake

 

"My name is Park Minyun, it's a pleasure to meet you, Kevin," You said as you shook hands with him.

He smiled and said, "No, the pleasure is all mine."

You guys shared another laugh together and spent a couple hours on the porch chitchatting about random things.

Eventually the rain stopped, and your clothes were dry.

 

You stood in front of Kevin outside the main entrance of his home.

You bowed your head and said, "Thanks again for helping me."

He shook his head and replied, "Do not thank me for I was only trying to help a beautiful woman out."

You could feel your cheeks turning pink and you looked away trying to hide it.

 

"Okay..." You said trying to find something to say, "Well, I owe you a favor alright?"

He shook his head once again, "It's alright. Your company was enough for me."

"Hmph," You huffed as you began walking home.

Kevin waved his hand as he saw you off.

 

You stopped for a second, looked back at him, and returned a wave.

Then you cupped your hands around your mouth and shouted, "I still owe you!"

Feeling happy that you said what you wanted, you energetically ran all the way home.


*

hwalot - a ritual attire worn by princesses during the Koryo and Chosun dynasties. Images of the 10 noble plants and animals representing longevity, luck, and wealth in Korean culture were embroidered with crimson thread. The noble classes also used it as a bridal topcoat in wedding ceremonies. The extreme cost of making a hwalot forced the common people to use nok wonam instead.

nokcha - green tea