The Funeral

Lonesome Dove

It was my aunts funeral. I wasn't very close with her, but she was some of the only family I had left.  I bit my lip as I looked around, it was so depressing.  The broken expressions on people's faces made me wonder if maybe I could of kept in contact more.  I mean, after my mother died I became kind of a loner.  My aunt died from Cervical Cancer.  I guess it was one of those times that no matter how strong she was, it wasn't enough.  My mother died from cancer too, I guess it's one of those things that runs in the family. 

"Dara?" said a voice behind me, interrupting my thoughts.  When I turned to look at the male, his facial features came rushing back into my memory.  It was Jiyong, my childhood friend.  I swallowed and bowed my head, "Jiyong, hey." I replied quietly.  A funeral wasn't the best place for a reunion. 

"I haven't seen you in forever, lets get out of here and grab a drink, eh?" he said, it was like he was reading my mind.  I smiled shyly and nodded in agreement, looking at my aunts coffin one more time before sighing and walking away with Jiyong.  On the way to the cafe, he wouldn't stop talking.  I didn't hear much though, I was lost in my own world. 

By the time we had reached the cafe I was sure that Jiyong had told me every detail of what had been going on in his life since we last spoke, not that I heard much.  It was a strange feeling, being around Jiyong again.  I had told him to get lost for a reason I don't even remember anymore and here he was, far from lost. 

"Are you even listening to me?" I heard him say out of context with a laugh, I blinked and looked at him.  "Oh, sorry. I'm just a bit spaced out.." I apologised and smiled nervously while sitting down at a table by the window of the cafe.  Jiyong sat opposite me and smiled, "It's fine, it's perfectly understandable, so uh.. How's your life?" he asked and I shrugged, it was terrible. "It's fine, everythings good I guess," I lied, smiling at him to make the lie seem true. 

The loss my my mother had affected my younger brother more than me, he started to do drugs and I had to be the one that paid back his debts.  Everytime he knocked on my door or called my cell it was clear what he wanted, money.  I kept telling myself that I would refuse to lend him and more but everytime he managed to find a way to convince me.  He used the fact that I got more time with her against me and that he didn't even get his 20th birthday with her, as she died 3 months before. 

"That's good, that's good..." said Jiyong slowly while nodding.  "Do you remember when we were kids, we were running around and one day you fell in that ditch, I saved you. Dara, I've known you my whole life, I can tell when you lie." 

I blinked and stared at him, I should of known better but I didn't want to sit in that seat and tell him everything that was wrong.  Besides, this is the first time we had seen each other for years.  I wasn't about to beg for him to console me and make me feel better.  Suddenly my head started to hurt and I frowned, putting my hand up to my forehead and rubbing it gently, Jiyong looked at me in concern and I smiled slightly, "I need to go to the bathroom." I said simply and stood up, walking slowly to the bathroom which was located at the back of the cafe. I pushed the door open and walked to the sinks, leaning against them as I looked at myself in the mirror.  I could have sworn I didn't look like a zombie when I left my house, I put my hand over my mouth as a cough managed to burst it's way out.  Then I went to wash my hands but something red caught the corner of my eye, I looked down at my hand.

I had coughed up blood.

 


AN: Well this is a fail for the first chapter, but I still hope you liked it and I'm sorry for the wait. I'll update regularly, I promise! 

Please leave a comment~