Avoid

Shelter

By lunchtime, Joo Young is beyond thankful. She basically zoned out in every class and her stomach was suffering from the lack of food. She never figured school would be this boring and it pained her that she would have to stay after for mandatory self-study almost everyday. She wasn't going to bother with that for the first week though. There was only so much she could handle, or so she thought. 

She had followed her classmates to the cafeteria when they were dismissed, sending off glares and sneering to those who bumped into her recklessly.  heading down the small set of stairs, she took her place in line formed outside the cafeteria and waited. She found that she couldn't stand still for long, tapping the heel of her boot against the marble floor impatiently and stretching her fingers out. She would walk, stop, and then wait for about a minute or so. Then she would mutter under her breath about the slow service. She folded her arms over her chest, letting one of her slender fingers twirl  the end curl of her hair absently as time continued to pass.

"Oh, Joo Young!"

At the call of her name, Joo Young let her head snap back instinctively. She leaned out a bit of the line so that she could see down the hall. Waving back at her was the girl from earlier, Gang Joo, with her friend, their elbows locked together. Joo Young doesn't wave back at her however. She acknowledges the girl with a small dip of her head and returns her focus back to the person standing in front of her. She didn't mean to seem rude but it has personally been a while since she heard her name called in such a friendly way, especially from some girl who has only spent less than 5 minutes with her. She wouldn't consider them friends off the back, let alone acquaintances. Brushing the thought off, Joo Young focuses on the lunch line. There a bit of a gap that she closes quickly, finally entering the cafeteria itself. She was hit with the familiar smell of bean paste soup which, oddly enough, caused to water.

She grabs a small bottle from a big bowl full of similar ones. Reading the label she frowns slightly after realizing it's a yogurt drink. She remembers back in Japan how a man would bring her some on after she got out of elementary. They were fond memories but back then, at that time she'd seen better days. She places the jug in one of the smaller five sections of her tray. The line seems to move faster now and by the end Joo Young has the remaining sections of her tray full with food. Today's meal consists of bibimbap (rice with a variety of vegetables, meat and sweet and sour sauce), bean paste soup (with chunks of tofu, diakon and onions), kimchi,  and yogurt mixed with sliced fruits. Only having been in Korea for less than a month, Joo young isn't used to the korean delicacies but she's adjusting slowly. Right now, she couldn't wait to dig in with her stomach growling the way it was.

Joo Young starts heading down the middle aisle, searching for an empty table. She finds one near the glass windows and take a seat on the side facing towards the entrance of the lunchroom. Focusing back on her growling stomach, she unwraps her utensils and digs in. She takes in a spponful of rice first and then some soup to wash it down. For that moment, Joo Young feels a bit happy and that's rare. Her stomach is still growling for more food so she takes another spoon full of rice. Suddenly her tray is swiped off to the side, the sound of metal clanking echoing off the floor. Joo Young's hand hold her last spoonful of rice if still hanging in midair, half open. The cafeteria is dead silent.

"Yah, new girl." It's the gang of bullies from earlier, Oh Jung Ho and the two stooges. Joo Young rolls her eyes and sighs lightly before taking in the last of her rice from lunch. She thinks it was such a waste of good food. 

Joo Young is looking up now, her eyes locked with the gang leader she wanted to challenge earlier, Oh Jung Ho. She glances off to her sides for a moment, finding Lee Yi Kyung on one side and a guy she didn't know yet on the other, both smirking down at her. While twisting the metal spoon in , she watches Oh Jung Ho come around the end of the table. There's a onlook of spectators from the side, a low sound of murmurs being passed between the students as they witnessed the scene.

"Sorry about your lunch," Jung Ho says with no remorse whatsoever. "I just thought you should get a proper welcome, you know."

"Ah~," Joo Young hums as she nods in mock understanding, resuming to on her spoon.

"Yah," Yi Kyung says and Joo Young doesn't have to look to know there's a sneer on his lips. She then feels a fingertip jabbing at the side of her head repeatedly while he growls out in disgust, "When someone older is talking to you, you should show some respect. Didn't your mommy ever teach you that?"

By now Joo Young can feel her conscious slipping into pure rage. With every jab that came, one after another, she had to restrain from punching him in his ing smug face. Her hands were balled tightly into fists, she could almost break skin with her nails. So once Yi Kyung had finished harassing her, she turned her head to face him. She slipped the spoon out of then, making sure to coat every inch in saliva. There was even a drool line left trailing from the tip of the spoon to her bottom lip. She smiled at Yi Kyung then, amused by the small glimpse of confusion he gave her. With a flick of her wrist, she threw the spoon at him. The utsenil hit Yi Kyung right on the bridge of his nose, leaving behind a patch of gleaming saliva. At that moment, Joo Young burst out laughing hysterically.

Then in a split second, she yelped in pain from someone behind her grabbing her hair and bringing her to her feet. From the front, Yi Kyung had her by the collar of her uniform and a fist throw back ready to strike her pretty little face. His fist comes fast and Joo Young figures she's screwed. 

Suddenly another hand shoots out, just in time before Joo Young is hit. A deep voice follows. "Three guys taking on one girl doesn't seem fair." Joo Young catches a glimpse of the newcomer. He's tall too, like the President of her class. His hair is cut short and his eyes are abnorally wide apart from each other, like a frog's.

"Stay out of this! This is going to get what she deserves," Yi Kyung curses, a crazy look of anger in his eyes. 

"Yah! Lee Yi Kyung! Oh Jung Ho! Lee Ji Hoon! Park Heung Soo!" It's the voice of Teacher Jung. Everyone freezes, hands slowly drop. Though hesitaten, Teacher Jung firmly says, "Kwon Joo Young."

.