Chapter 3

Last Night On Earth

---4 years ago, High School---

***

The next morning, Yuri walked eagerly to Mrs. Gummy's office to find her sitting behind her desk sipping her hot drink. Mrs. Gummy was quite surprised to see Yuri barging in her office in early morning. "Oh, good morning there Ms. Kwon. May I help you?" Yuri slightly bowed and greeted her back. "Good morning Mrs. Gummy. About the favor you asked me yesterday, about Lee Donghae. I found him and he is still alive and breathing. It's just he was so hard to be found." Said Yuri in one sentence without stopping. Mrs. Gummy sighed in relieve and she gave Yuri a pat in her shoulder, thanking and congratulating her. "Good job Ms. Kwon! Thank you for all your hard work. Yeah, teachers here always complained about him. He rarely shows up to classes. I even wondered why he attend high school anyway. It's not like he's going to fail in life without graduating high school." Yuri raised her eyebrow in confusion. There was an awkward silence between them. But then, as if struck by something, Mrs. Gummy immediately bring another topic. "Ah! That's right! Teacher's meeting! So sorry Ms. Kwon, I have to leave now. Bye!" And just like that she left Yuri alone in her office.

Yuri was walking around her car in the parking lot. She left her car in the school's parking lot yesterday since she couldn't find her car keys. She was walking and walking while focusing her attention on the ground when suddenly she bumped into something. Or someone. "Ouch, oh I am sorry, it is my fault for not paying attention...." And as Yuri looked up, she found Lee Donghae standing in front of her. He was wearing a leather biker's jacket and in his left hand he was carrying a helmet. Yuri just stood there and not moving an inch.

"Still looking for your car keys?" Asked Donghae. Yuri was a bit surprised at his guess then she just nodded lightly. Donghae then rolled his eyes and continue walking towards the school building. Yuri's brows were knitted in confusion. This guy is really weird. She thought. Suddenly she heard the school bell rang so she rushed inside the school building.

***

"Okay! That's a wrap girls! Don't forget to be here tomorrow at 7am for practice!" Coach Hwang practically shouted to dismiss the cheerleader practice that evening. Yuri was soaked in sweats due to the intense training. "Yuri baby! Hey, where are you going after this?" Krystal, teammate clung into her arm. Yuri wiped sweats from her forehead with the back of her hand and shook her head to answer Krystal's question. "Nah, am not going anywhere. I still have something to do." Krystal then pouted. "More important that accompanying your friend to a live show in the club?" Yuri winked at her, which made Krystal very disappointed.

"I got tickets for a rock show at The Dungeon tonight, I thought you might like it so I saved it for you..." Krystal really looked disappointed. A hint a guilt suddenly felt inside Yuri's heart. "I am very sorry Krys... Hey, I promise we will go on a girls' night out soon 'kay?" Then Krystal suddenly smiled and nodded fiercely as if her head was going to come off. "Promise me!! I don't really like rock shows after all, I think I'll hit the mall tonight. Bye!" And she immediately dashed outside the gym. Yuri just chuckled seeing her friend's behavior.

Yuri, for the nth time was back again on the parking lot and searched for her car keys. She was all worn out from practice before so she just gave up midway and rested on the hood of her car. When she felt someone standing in front of her. It was him again, Lee Donghae. Before Yuri could say a word Donghae put his index finger in front of her lips. "I bet gazillions of bucks that you haven't found your car keys yet." Yuri nodded. "How are you gonna go home." He said it more like to himself rather asking a question to Yuri. "I could take a bus, call a taxi, or whatever. No big deal." Suddenly Donghae walked to his motorcycle which was parked next to her car then started the engine. "Hop on." He said. But Yuri shook her head this time. She did not want to trouble him anymore. "No. I have troubled you yesterday, and it's already dark. You should go home first. I can take care of myself." But then she heard Donghae laughed. A mischivieous one. She didn't see that coming, and that was the first time ever she heard him laughing. "Look who's talking. You're a freaking high school girl, a cheerleader captain, your house is nowhere near here and you have no idea how to go home. I bet the newspaper headlines tomorrow is going to be epic." He said as he wore his helmet and slowly started to move his motorcycle out of the parking lot.

20 minutes had passed and Yuri was still beside her car, crouching to see whether her keys are under the car but she found nothing. The night was getting even darker she could see stars on the sky. "How am I going to go home? Looks like I'll sleep in the gym tonight.... Only if they do not lock it already. , I'm screwed." Yuri said as she sat in front of her car motionless. Suddenly a bright light shone in front of her. And before she could stand up, she saw a familiar motorcycle in front of her. "Be quick, I have no time." Donghae said. Yuri was confused at first but she realized that he was asking her to ride with him. More like commanding her actually. Yuri quickly gathered her stuffs and hop on is motorcycle. "Thanks..." Yuri murmured. "No need, I am not taking you home anyway." And by that he sped up his motorcycle outside of the school. Yuri was completely confused.

***

Donghae parked his motorcycle on the back alley of a building that somewhat looked like a club. Yuri then got off of the motorcycle and stood there, scrutinizing her surroundings. It was quite far from the school since the ride was a long one. She was not familiar with this area, she thought she had never been here before. It did not seem as the usual clubs she and her schoolmates go to. "Where are we?" Yuri asked as Donghae suddenly walked towards the building, Yuri fastened her pace to catch up with him. "You like rock shows?" Yuri nodded, didn't think he might notice it since it was dark already. "Good. Didn't think a girl like you would enjoy one." Yuri didn't like the talk about stereotyping. She was about to protest when suddenly a big door in front of them flung open and a guy welcomed them with a huge grin on his face.

"Great! Mr. I-always-come-late-and-it's-totally-fine is finally early for the first time since forever. Oh, hello? Who is this hot girl with you? Your girlfriend?" The guy with somewhat feminine attitude talked in a breathtake. Donghae didn't even budge a bit, he just stood right there. "Thank me later, Heechul. This girl has nothing to do with anything. Just leave her be." The guy whose name was Heechul gave Yuri and Donghae a smirk. And he shook his head. "Better not get this one pregnant, you still have a long way to go to stardom." And he left. Yuri was a bit offended by his words and as she looked up to Donghae, he just stood there with his ice-cold face.

They walked on hallway and entered a room that seemed like a performer's dressing room since it was filled with music instruments and there are vanity mirrors in it. As Yuri entered the room, she felt everyone's eyes were glued on her. She felt uncomfortable but Donghae didn't seem to care about it. Yuri started to regret her decision to tag along with him. "Yo, dude! Who's the girl? She's nice." As a guy with skyscraper's height who was wearing a black leather jacket approached Yuri. Yuri was scared she did not realize she was hiding behind Donghae now. "Hey! don't scare her like that!" Suddenly a shorter guy with short black hair blocked the tall man to go near Yuri.

"Pardon his impolite behavior. He is just frustrated. Well since you haven't met us here. Let me introduce myself. Hi, I am Amber. I am not the member of the band, obviously, but I am they're friends so I go to watch all of their gigs." Yuri was even more confused. Band? Gigs? What is this place? Who are they? Looking at Yuri's expression, Donghae scratched the back of her neck and started talking. "Yuri, meet The Killing Daisy. We're an underground rock bands performing from clubs to clubs. We still have a long way to go as Heechul, our manager, said earlier. But yeah, this is us." Donghae said to Yuri without looking at her. 

Yuri was then completely speechless. She listened to some underground rock band and she was actually familiar with The Killing Daisy, she had heard of their songs but she never met them in person. They made good music, in her opinion. They were one of her favorite these days, actually.

***

Yuri and The Killing Daisy stood in the backstage, waiting for the band's turn to perform. The members of the band had been very nice to introduce themselves and talk to her, not like Donghae who just kept silence. Yuri was just turning her heads left and right to observe the room when suddenly she saw an interesting scene. It was a girl and a guy making out in the hallway. It was Amber, and the guy was the guy with skyscraper's height she met in the dressing room earlier, whose name turned out to be Kris. Yuri was not used to that kind of scene, she could not avert her gaze from them. Suddenly, she failt her vision was blocked with someone's hand. It was Donghae's "You're going to be used to that kind of scene tonight. You will see that scene again shortly." Donghae said as he turned Yuri around, averting her gaze from Amber-Kris make out session.

"Uh.... By the way, why aren't you telling me you're in a rock band? That's very cool! You could be super popular in school." Yuri said, trying to change the awkward topic. Donghae just shrugged and did not answer her. "Guys! It's time! Let's go!" Heechul's voice echoed the backstage, a signal for all the band members to go up on stage. Yuri saw Kris hurriedly running to the stage after parting with Amber. And Yuri felt a hand grabbing her and leading her to the side door. It was Amber's. "Hey, let's watch from the front. They are amazing." Amber whispered to Yuri's ear.

***

This was not the first time Yuri watched a rock show. She was a fan of rock music herself, so she had watche several shows before. But this time it was different. Especially when she saw Donghae on stage. It was not like him. He was on fire and full of charisma. He was really immersed in his bass and in the band's songs. He looked really cool. Yuri, and other people at school, never saw this side of Donghae. Yuri was truly mesmerized...

"Hey! They are good aren't they?" Said Amber as they both enjoy the show from the front of the stage. Yuri just nodded and continue to sing along with the band and enjoy the show. After the band sang 7 seven songs, the show came to an end and the members bow to end the show. As they got off of stage Yuri hurriedly approach Donghae. "Great show! You're awesome!" She said, patting his back. Donghae seemed to be in a good mood. He was smiling all over. And he smiled to Yuri. "Thanks."

That was the sweetest smile Yuri had ever seen. 

***