Chapter 1

Last Night On Earth

--- Present ---

***

The gunfire was blazing above the heads of the men who were laying down on the ground. Rifle on the right hand, grenade on another, panting yet counting for the right moment to fire. 

"1...2...3...4..." BOOM! Another explosion 10 meters from their hiding place. The oldest of the group slightly tilted his head up to see how bad the condition would be for them. The sky was covered in black smoke, the trees and the grass all seemed gray with the ashes from the gunfire. He ducked his head again and faced his comrades. 1,2,3.... His eyes dilated in disbelief. Only 3 of them left, just that very morning he had breakfast with 6 of them. 

BOOM! Another explosion. In that very moment, he knew he had to give order to his teammates. He looked at them one by one. He could not recall their names. Choi Siwon... Cho Kyuhyun... Kim Kibum.... Their names rang on his head, but he couldn't tell who was who.

"Captain! We should fire now! We can't wait until they run out of ammo! That will take all day!" The tallest of them all shouted to the captain. During training, he was always the best of the group, the bravest, yet the most hot headed. The captain didn't let out a word.

BOOM! Another explosion, now followed with a series of gunfire. A machine gun. They all knew the enemy was getting closer. They had no time to think of a strategy. The 3 of them looked at the oldest of the group. The tallest held his grenade so tight as if he would throw it any time soon, the shortest of them just stared at the captain, waiting for order. And the youngest of the group closed his eyes, praying to God.

"Okay, Cho Kyuhyun and Kim Kibum, prepare to run. See that huge tree over there? Run there, we will cover you. As soon as you get there, go straight and you will find the supply camp. Tell them we need help here." Kyuhyun and Kibum turned their heads toward each other and nodded. "Yes, captain." Said them simultaneously. The explosions and gunfire were stopped for a brief moment. Kyuhyun and Kibum immediately run from their hiding place. As they run, the explosions and gunfire started again, even more violent this time. The sound of the gunfire hit like rocks on their heads, the sound of the explosions knock their hearts like bullets. But they knew they had to make it to the supply camp. For the sake of their friends behind them, who were shooting endlessly at the invisible enemy in front of them.

Choi Siwon threw the grenade on his left hand. Then the gunfire stopped for a moment. He ducked his head again, panting in exhaustion. The captain did the same. The silence surrounding them was somehow deafening, it ate them softly. Their body and soul couldn't take it anymore.

"Hey, captain." Siwon asked, killing the silence between them. "Yes?" The captain answered, still panting.

"Do you think we can make it soon?" Asked Siwon while reloading his rifle. 

"Make it where?"

"Home."

***