Chapter 1 - Slipping Slowly into Madness

When the Bell Rang

 

“W-WUFAN!”

He slowly turned with such grace that I immediately regretted calling his name. But I had to, I had no choice. It was the last day of middle school and who knows when I would see him again. It was my last chance to tell him.
With my heart beating out of my chest I spoke, “Wufan, I…I know I won’t see you again but I just have to tell you. I have to tell you that I like you! I always have! I know you can’t return the feeling but…I just had to tell you before it was too late!”

It was silent. No one was in the hall way. The wind howled harshly outside the big glass windows that lined the hallway. Leaves danced in my peripheral vision as I studied his perfectly curved lips. They parted, and then the worst part of the memory comes to me. His deep husky voice whispered, “I’m sorry.” And the bell rings. All the students pour out of their classes and he becomes lost in the crowd. Gone forever.

He would be moving to Canada and I to South Korea, on the opposite ends of the earth.

***


~Two years later, Junior Year~


“Zhang Yixing?”

I ran down the hallway as fast as I could. I hoped to whatever god that my bag wasn’t open like last time.

“Zhang Yixing?!”

I skidded around a sharp corner, almost hitting the wall, and soon my classroom door was in view. Target spotted!! Just a few! More! Steps!

“ZHANG YIXI-”

“HERE!!” I flung open the door and leapt for my seat that unfortunately was on the other side of the room.
The teacher looked up over her glasses, “Barely made it today Mr. Zhang.”
“I’m sorry, Ms. Lee. It won’t happen again.” I stood up and bowed breathlessly as the students around me giggled. She shooed her hand and called the next name.
I sat back down with a sigh, today was going to be rough; I could just feel it.

My first period class went by quickly, probably because I daydreamed most of the time. The bell startled me and before I knew it Luhan was by my side.
“Why were you late?” He insisted with his eyes curious and wide.
“If you must know, I ran into some trouble on the way here. I will have you know that I almost got into a fist fight!” I tried to sound persuasive as I gathered my books into my bag. Only Luhan was smarter then most people.
“Like hell you where. Tell me the truth.”
I groaned, “Promise not to laugh?” he nodded, “I seriously thought that today was Saturday so I didn’t set my alarm.”
Well that did it.
Luhan erupted into a fit of laugher as he walked me out of the classroom.
“Stop~! It’s not funny! I feel like I need my head checked or something!”
Luhan thankfully settled down, “You probably do, but we all have our days, hahaha!!”
I rolled my eyes and sighed. Luhan was my only Chinese friend here and it didn’t help that he was kinda…weird, is the best way that I could put it. He was currently dating a freshman named Sehun…who was also weird. Hell, all of my friends were weird.

“You know what, Yixing?”
“Hm?” I mumbled while I looked at my phone. Instagram was more exciting then Mr. Doe-eyed Deer next to me.
“I think today is the day that the foreign kid comes to your math class.”
I picked my head up at the sudden interest in topic. “Really!? Where did they say he was from?”
“America? Or…something. I don’t remember, I’m not in your math class.” Of course you aren’t, you stupid genius.
“But you’re on the student council!”
“When you’re treasurer, you don’t pay attention to stuff like that. This is my class, I’ll see you at break!”
I waved goodbye to him and kept walking to my class. I wondered what this new student would be like. I was an exchange student once. Maybe we could be friends.

A few students here and there waved to me as I passed their clicks. I had become pretty good acquaintances with a lot of people since I came here. Everyone had been surprisingly welcoming. Well they were when I became friends with Luhan that is…such an odd deer boy.

I stepped into my next class and instantly groaned. I hated math, yet I was oddly good at it (not as good at Luhan though). I took my seat in the back next to the window. Best. Seat. Ever.
The bell soon rang; this day was going by too fast. It needed to slow down.

“Okay class, something different today. We have a new foreign exchange student. Please be good to him, we don’t want an incident like last time. You can come in now!”
I took I swig of my water but instantly sit it all out on the girl in front of me.
“Hey! Watch it!” I ignored her and stared stupidly at the front of the room. There in all his beauty and magnificent glory stood Wu Yifan. Li Jiaheng. My middle school crush.

“His name is Wu Yifan. He just came here from Canada, right? Very nice to have you with us.”
He bowed perfectly, his golden hair falling slightly. “Hello, My name is Wufan, please call me Kris.”
WHAT? Now his name is Kris!?
“Kris, please sit in the back next toooo…Lay!” I dodged his glance. Teacher thank you for calling me Lay and not Yixing but YOU FOR SITTING HIM NEXT TO ME!! Never mind what I said! This day doesn’t need to slow down, it needs to speed up! Let’s get this over with! I want to go home!! What is this a drama!? Or some wired fanfic! I can’t take this irony!!!

“Hi.”

FUUUCCCCCKK!!!!

“Hi, I’m Lay~” I naturally said with a sweet (or so I tried) smile. Only in the inside I was screaming “GO AWAY!!! NEVER COME BACK!! GET YOUR PRETTY FACE OUT OF MINE!!”

“I hope we can be friends Lay.”

“Same.” Smiles…smiles everywhere.  

Thankfully the teacher began to lecture and I flung my head to the front of the class room. I looked at the clock. 9:10AM. Faster faster faster! Go faster!!!!!! I laid my head on the table, breathed a few times, trying to practice some type of mantra that my mom used to use when she meditated. After my heart slowed down I look back up. 9:10AM. COME ON!!!!

I felt a finger poke my arm. I looked over and there was his flawless face.
“You okay?”
I wanted to slap him so hard.
“Yeah fine!” I hope I didn’t sound like a lunatic.
“Lay!”
“YES!” I screamed.
“No need to freak out. Can you and Kris go down to the student office and pick up the projector. I forgot it on my way over here.” Ohhhhh, out of all the people in this class. WHY!?
“Yes, okay.”

I tried to stay as calm as possible. He was right next to me, in reaching distance. After all those years of hiding from him, staying as far away as possible and now here he is. So close I could almost smell is cologne. And why didn’t he notice me? Was I that good at hiding from him? And why is it so silent! THE CONSTANT SHOE CLICKING IS PISSING ME O-

“You know Lay, you look kinda familiar.” Oh lord, here we go.
“R-really? I’m sure I haven’t seen you before.” Oh God, I’m so bad at lying.
“I know but…” he stopped walking, why did he stop walking!? “…your eyes just look so familiar.” I stopped to look at him.
“I-You-Um…that’s…you’re silly.” I playfully hit his arm and walked away embarrassingly, my eyes nearly popping out of my head.  
I could here Kris walk up behind me. His legs were so freaking long that he caught up to my awkward speed walk.
“What middle school did you go to?” Oh crap.
“Um, I…it was some small school, far from here.”
“How far?”
“…Ffaaar??”
Kris didn’t seem amused. He gave me a look…I’ll call it a face. We kept walking in silence after that but I could feel Kris’s stare burning into my scalp.
“Well! We’re here!” I sighed in relief as I opened the door to the student office. I looked around franticly wanting to leave as soon as possible. I knew the dirty things that Luhan did to Sehun in here, not to mention the rest of the y student council. Heechul-hyung definitely abuses his power as VP. I can’t believe our teacher came in here to pick up Kris, so dirty, so nast-

“Is this it?”     
I looked up saw Kris holding the projector with his big hands carefully placed around it. I can’t help but notice these things. Leave me alone.
“Yeah great! Now we can-”

“Ooooohhh~!”

Kris looked at me, “What was that?”
I froze, “….Can we leave, I really would like to leave! Teacher will be expecting us! How about I buy you a coffee!? Do you want a coffee?”
“No! I want to know what that noise was.”
Kris began to walk forward but I stopped him by placing my hands on his chest. Of course I blushed.
“Kris, listen to me. The student council…they…well to put it bluntly…”
Kris looked like he wanted to slap me.
“…They’re a band of crazy gay bastards!”
Kris…that beautiful face of his…twisted. I can not tell you what this face was. Now that I’ve been able to see him up close and not from a bush, this guy’s face is always a face.
“W-what?” I guessed that he was in a stupor to I took this time to push him out the door.

I took his hand, TOOK HIS HAND, and walked him down the hallway. He still had the projector in his hands, thank god. And did I mention I took his hand?
Kris didn’t talk at all while I dragged him, holding his hand. We turned a few corners and finally reached the classroom, holding his hand.

“Oh good! You two are back! Just in time too.” Kris walked up and handed the projector to the teacher and sat back next to me. Oh and I had to let go of his hand.

The class went by, boringly. I tried to focus on my work and not my crush who sat next to me. I had been getting more interaction with him in one class period then I had my entire elementary and middle school education. Why. Just why. We had lived in the same country, not even two blocks away from each other. Please, the irony is killing me.

Thank the sweet lord the bell rang just before I fell asleep. However, Kris stopped me before I escaped to fangirl over him to Luhan.
“Could, I hang with you? I don’t really know anyone else, it would be nice not to be an outcast, you know?” Yes, yes I do know. I was the outcast my entire life Mr. face but God I can’t stay mad at you. I guess I got my wish. I became friends with the foreign exchange student.     

---

I ran across the cafeteria to the usual table where my friends sat at. Sorry Kris, but I need to leave you in my dust for a few moments.
“GUYS!! I need you to call me Lay, WHATEVER you do, DO NOT call me Yixing!!!”
No one really paid attention to me.
“Lay, the only people who call you Yixing are your folks and the teachers, no one cares.” Kai didn’t bother to look up while he just insulted me...or…whatever that just was. The others didn’t really mind either but Luhan, sweet Luhan, took the time to look up with a rather pensive face. I jumped when I felt a presence behind me.
“Guys…GUYS!” I got their attention. Ha. “This is Kris; he’s the new foreign exchange student.” Kris smiled and it was like everyone fell in love with him in a matter of seconds. What? How?

Throughout the entire break, Kris was asked an abundance of questions.
“What’s your favorite sport?” He likes basketball.
“Are you single?” Yes.
“Have you ever been on a date?” No.
“What’s your hobby?” He likes writing music, reading, and doing magic, among other things.
“How do you keep your skin so nice?” Sleep, lots of it, plus millions of facial creams.
“Do you have any siblings?” Yes, a brother.
“Where are you from?” He was born in China, raised in Canada, went to school in China and went f-ing back to Canada again!
“You speak a lot of languages, huh?” He speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean.

This was pointless. I couldn’t live my life like this. It was going to eat at me until he remembered who I was…or until I cracked…or died. I knew everything about him. I spent years, nerding about this boy. He meant everything to me and he didn’t even know it. My crush was worse then an obsessed fangirl waiting outside of her favorite band’s dorm just to see them in the window. Yes I stalked. I followed him to school and I followed him home with the excuse that I lived past his house. I went to every basket ball game. I voted for him in every school election. If he wore his uniform a certain way, I would do the same a week after.

But there was a part of the story that not a lot of people knew, something that mortified me and ruined my life to the point where I left the country. And he knew. But why didn’t he know my face?

---

Before I knew it the day was over. Packs of students evacuated the school to go home like a plague had struck the building. I was about to leave with the rest of them until someone grabbed my arm. I turned around and there was his face.

“Lay, hold up.” Oh yeah, now you want me, WELL I AIN’T FOR SALE!
“What is it?” I have the strange gift of freaking out on the inside and being perfectly calm on the outside. I think I got it from my dad since he has no emotion…
“I just…” You just? “…I want to say thank you.”
I was kinda taken back by this…he’s still holding my arm…damn he let go. I watched the free hand reach to the back of his head and scratch.
“I thought this day was going to go a lot worse but thanks to you I made a friend. And hopefully I can become better acquainted with your friends too!”
I can’t take this man’s hotness.
“N-no problem, I’m glad I could help.” Do something, anything. Bring him closer to you!!!
“Listen, um do you want my phone number in case you have any questions about the homework or something?” Ha. Best. Idea. Ever.
His face lit up, “Oh! Yeah! That would be great!” He handed me his clean, shinny, black phone…looking f-ing brand new…oh god please don’t drop it…and I entered in my number. Well I first had to go to my phone and look for my number because I don’t have it memorized.
He smiled and started to walk off, “Thanks again! I’ll text you later!” he waved, then he was gone…

I was left in the crowd just like that one day. Only this time, I felt happy and thankful that he and I are able to start over.    

 


i should really be doing my homework.... BUT! krispylays are more important~! ENJOY~!! Tell me what you think! Tell me what should happen!! (because i don't know where i'm going with this) lol~

lovelove~~!!!