Answer

Just Be Friends

 

Walking through the street, you slowly pull a few strands of hair behind your ear. Your eyes travel about, taking in the view before you. A city in the night, the buildings sporting bright lights as far as you could tell. Quite a common sight, really, but no less beautiful to you.

It was a sight that reminded you of how things used to be, before things changed. You remembered clear as a  day – how you and Ryeowook used to walk through these streets hand in hand. A simple gesture, but it made your heart overflow with warmth at the time. Even though you’d broken up, you still smiled at every single memory. There had been nothing bad to your relationship, so you felt no real need to cry.

You remembered all the promises the two of you made. Promises that you’d swear to keep forever. What happened to those? Well, sometimes promises get forgotten. Sure, you were sad that things didn’t happen the way you wanted them to, but in the end, this was the decision the two of you had to make.

You knew how it was. Once the two of you had shared every moment possible, from the time he was still a cute little boy in elementary to the time you saw him becoming one of the stars. Now, your clocks were separated, no longer ticking as one. Nothing but sweet memories left to hold on to.

It was strange, wasn’t it? That’s what all your friends had told you. They asked you things like, “how could you possibly still be this devoted to him? The two of you broke up, didn’t you?” and all you’d do is shake your head and smile. Sometimes, things just don’t work out, there was no real reason.

Somehow, you managed to find a way to still be friends with Ryeowook. Another unusual thing, as exes rarely got along nowadays. Then again, you pretty much ended the relationship as friends. You really couldn’t call it a relationship anymore, you knew and so did he.

You had to wonder though, if you were able to go back in time knowing what you do now... would the two of you still be a thing? Would you still be as madly in love with each other as you were at first? Then again, it wouldn’t change your mind

Lost in your thoughts, you bumped against a somehow familiar chest. You looked up to see Donghae, who you knew got along fairly well with Ryeowook. You shot him an apologetic smile, earning a grin in response.

“Hey, [___]! What are you doing here?” he asked you.

“Nothing much, really.”

“Well then, how about I treat you to some food, eh? I’m really hungry haha,” he offered. You merely blinked, but then shrugged and nodded.

“Sure, what do you have in mind?”

 

--

 

It had been a year ever since you started dating Donghae, who you preferred to call fishy. He was one of the sweetest, most gentle souls you knew. In a way, he really reminded you of how you and Ryeowook used to be.

At first you had rejected him, afraid that you would only like him as a second choice. He however, was persistent, and eventually got you to go on a date with him. And many others followed. Ryeowook, knowing, supported your relationship with a tiny smile.

You were happy like this, even though it had been so hard to part from Ryeowook, you felt Donghae completed you quite nicely. You had fallen head over heels with him.

So there it was. Your answer to everything that had happened.