Past

A New One

 

13th September 1999.

It was Ryein's 6th birthday, and Byunghun was there celebrating it with her.

"Blow the candle, Rye!", he rushed her and everybody cheered.

After the candle was blown, the lights were and Sister Julia walked in with a box.

"Happy birthday, Ryein-ah. This is something all the kids have made, just for you."

"Really?"

Sister Julia nodded and pat Ryein on her head, "Open it."

Ryein slowly opened the lid and took a peek into the box, "Is that?"

"Your first dress. All the kids put in a little of their allowance to buy this for you. Are you happy?"

Tears were filled in her eyes and she hugged the dress tight, "Thank you."

 

23rd November 2005.

"Byunghun? Byung~?"

Ryein walked all around the orphanage but Byunghun was nowhere to be found.

She then saw Sister Julia reading a book in her room.

Gently, she knocked on her door and Sister Julia looked up, asking her to go in the room.

"Sister Julia, do you happen to know where Byunghun is?"

"Ryein-ah, Byunghun got adopted just earlier."

"Adopted?"

"Just this morning, a nice family came to adopt him."

Ryein then stared at the present she was holding on, "But today is his birthday."

 

 

---------

 

"Ryein? There's a family who wants to see you."

Ryein walked to the dresser to make sure she was presentable and walked out of the room.

The other kids wished her luck as they walked passed her.

"Ryein, this is Mr Woo and his family."

When Ryein entered the room, a couple was sitting by the table with a teenage boy.

"Ryein, is it? I really hope you'll be able to join our family. And this will be your oppa, Woo Jiho."

Jiho stopped playing his gameboy and walked over to Ryein who slightly hide behind Sister Julia.

"It's okay, Ryein-ah. They're really nice people."

Ryein then took a look at Woo Jiho who was now standing in front of her with his arms opened wide.

She took baby steps to him and he hugged her.

"I'll be the best oppa to you, okay?"

And he smiled when he felt her nod.

Before they left, Ryein ran back to Sister Julia to give her a tight hug.

"Take good care, okay? If there's anything, I'll always be here."

 

---------

 

"Where are you, ? Come out wherever you are!!!!"

Jiho covered his younger sister's mouth and could feel her tears streaming down onto his palm.

"Shhhh, Appa will hear you."

Ryein nodded and they kept quiet until they hear the main door opened and closed again.

They then relaxed, and Jiho hugged Ryein closed to him.

"We can get some sleep now, I bet they won't be back till a few days later or something."

 

"Where is your oppa?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?! You don't know?!"

Her father shook her then pushed her to the ground.

Ryein was hurt and injured from her father's hitting but she couldn't break down right now.

"Sorry, appa. Sorry."

"Shut up! I'm not your appa! You probably jinx us. Ever since we've adopted you, we've lost our jobs. We have nothing now, Jung Ryein. Do you hear me?!"

Her father made her stand up and look at him, "Sorry."

"Stop saying sorry and don't cry! I should be the one crying, god damn it!"

"Why are you guys shouting?! The neighbors will hear us!"

And the quarrel went on and on.

They abused Ryein whenever they get the chance to, and Jiho would protect her when he's at home.

 

"Jung Ryein-sshi?"

She slowly opened her eyes.

"Can you hear me?"

A unfamiliar voice was calling her, and she slowly nodded.

"You're in the hospital now."

When her eyes were opened, she looked to her left hand that was stuck to a drip.

"Your neighbors found you fainted in your home."

"Where are my parents now?"

"They're at the police station. We've called for your care person, Sister Julia. She's on her way now."

Then, Sister Julia ran into the room.

"Oh god, Ryein."

 

---------

 

1st November 2006.

"Come on. There's someone you'll want to see."

Sister Julia grabbed Ryein's hand and pulled her into the familiar room.

A boy had his back facing her.

"She's here.", the lady that was sitting stood up and tidied her attire.

The boy then turned over and smiled before opening his arms wide.

Ryein ran to him and started crying on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I took this long.", he her hair.

"I'm just glad you're here now."

"My aunt took care of me when I ran away, and she said she'll take care of you too. We can finally be one family again."

Ryein nodded her head and hugged Jiho tighter.

When she pulled away from Jiho, his aunt, no their aunt was now standing there with her arms opened wide.

"Come here."

Ryein went into her arms, she felt her new aunt hugging her tight.

And that feeling right then was what she has been longing for, home.

 

---------

 

22nd February 2007.

"I'll be back for dinner, Aunt!"

"Jiho! Aren't you going to bring Ryein with you?"

"Yes, oppa. Bring me with you!"

"But I'm going to play soccer."

"I can play too! I can learn, can't I?"

"Come on, Jiho. Bring her."

Jiho hesitated a while before nodding his head and putting his hand out for Ryein to hold on.

"Be careful now, don't get hurt. And look after her, Jiho."

"Yes, Aunt. We'll be back before dinner!"

They each gave their aunt a hug before heading out.

 

"Is this your little sister you've been telling us about?"

More boys that looked like they were Jiho's age came over.

"Yup. She says she wants to play with us, is it okay?"

"Of course it's fine! Minsoo's bringing some kids along today too, and I think they're around your little sister's age. I'm Park Kyung.", the boy who was talking stretched out his hand and Ryein shook it.

"Ryein. Jung Ryein."

"Nice meeting you, Ryein. Jiho has been telling us a lot about you."

"He told me a lot about you guys too. I've been waiting for this day for too long."

"Who knows, she might be our new star player."

"Sorry I'm late!"

Ryein turned her attention to a group of boys who were skating towards the bench.

"Yah, Minsoo. When are you ever on time?"

"Sorry, man. Our mom didn't want to let us go. Anyway, let me introduce to you."

Minsoo pulled a few kids over, "Byunghun, Niel and Changjo."

The three boys bowed and one named caught Ryein's attention, "Byunghun?"

That particular boy lifted his head immediately and looked at the girl.

"Rye?"

She ran to him and hugged him, "I thought I lost you."

"Minsoo-hyung's family came and adopt me that day and you were sleeping, I didn't want to wake you up."

"Wait, am I missing something here?"

Jiho came over and Ryein introduced them to each other.

"Hey guys, we can talk later but for now, are we kicking balls or not?"

"Bring it on."

 

------

 

Just in case you're confused, this chapter is basically about how Ryein met Byunghun and Jiho.

Yup :)