Last Flower

Last Flower

“We have a newcomer!” A boy with red beanie yelled in excitement.

“Welcome to Gyosan Children Hospital, new kid. My name is Heechul. Kim Heechul.” A spike-haired boy smiled as he shook the newcomer’s little hand.

The newcomer, smiled sheepishly. Did not know what to react to Heechul’s welcome handshake, but he took it anyway.

“So what’s your name, newcomer?” Heechul asked again as he carefully observed the new kid.

“I’m… I’m Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun.”

Heechul and the red beanie boy smiled in satisfaction, “Well then, welcome, Kyuhyun! My name is Ryeowook. But Wookie is fine though.” Ryeowook, the red beanie boy hugged Kyuhyun tightly.

 

Gyosan Children Hospital is a hospital which specialized to take care of children with a serious illness. And Kyuhyun was one of them. He just found that he has leukemia when he was playing soccer in school. He was sent here by the recommendation of his doctor, Dr. Lee Joo Hyeok. He said that Gyosan would be a perfect place for a 10 years old kid like him.

Not so long after, Kyuhyun found himself enjoying his new ‘home’ with his new friends. He met some friends there; Donghae, Leeteuk, Jongwoon, Hankyung, Kangin, Eunhyuk, and of course Heechul and Ryeowook.

He was playing uno cards with the boys when he saw a little figure standing behind the door outside his room.

“Hey you!” Kyuhyun approached the kid. The kid was stood still on her spot, lowered her head a little bit. “What are you doing there? Come here, let’s play together with us!”

The girl walked toward him slowly, and sat beside Ryeowook, leaving the curious Kyuhyun behind.

“Y-yah! Why are you leaving me behind? I have a question for you.” He approached her seat and reached out his arm. “What is your name?”

The girl looked at him, then stood up and reached his hand with a lovely smile.

“Han Je. My name is Lee Han Je.”

A curve formed on Kyuhyun’s face as he happily shook her hand, “Hello Han Je! I'm Kyuhyun and I hope we can be a good friend!”

 


 

Kyuhyun sat on a bench, remembering his first meeting with her. He laughed, laughed, and laughed until tears started to flowing from his eyes. His charming laugh turned into a roar of despair. His heart ached so much until he can't even think was it because of her of the memories they've spent together.

A moment later, he stared at a girl and a boy whom were play together as a father and mother happily. A single smile appeared on his face.

Yes, it is because of the memories.

 


 

"Honey, I think we need some sugar here.." Han Je yelled from the floral mat under an oak tree while serving an invisible tea from her tea set with orders from Heechul, Leeteuk, and the other were piled up.

Kyuhyun, who was pretend to feed Sungmin with porridge made of mud, sighed in a desperate way. The situation was not so far from chaos with more than 6 chlidren in one place.

"Incoming, honeeeyyy~~" Kyuhyun ran to her as he gave her the fake sugar, earning a bright smile from her. "Thank you, yeobo~ I love youuu." She gave him a quick kiss on his cheek, which made the boy blushed and smile sheepishly.

"I love you too, honey~" He replied.

 


 

Kyu walked home at last, he tighten his jacket so the cold breezes won't make him sick, as he looked up at a wooden signboard with large 'DOUG'S INN' word carved on it. He walked in an soon captivated by its warm athmosphere, with tired men took a gulp of their drink, dancers danced in unison, and some couples danced to the beat of the music which is came from the old 90's jukebox.

He sat on the counter, ordered drink he usually bought everytime he went here, and just enjoying the smooth jazz flowing through the room.

"Just got back?" A blond man with thick, black cashmere jacket approached him as he took a seat beside Kyuhyun and order his drink.

"Yeah. How was your day, Donghae?"

Donghae, the blond man, took a sip of his drink as he smiled softly. "Good, I already proposed her, and she said yes."

Kyuhyun smiled widely and hugged his best pal. "Congratulation, brother. I am happy for you.." They both laughed as Donghae told every single bit of the scenario of his proposal. 

"But Kyuhyun..." 

"Yes?"

"Thank you for being happy for me, but you need to be happy on your own too. I've seen you depressed like this for almost-"

"Yes I know it, Donghae-ah. I'm still looking for a way to overcome with it." Kyu cut Donghae's words, leaving Donghae with his simpathy look for him. Kyuhyun saw his expression and patted his back. "Don't worry, hyung. It's time to celebrate your special day instead of putting on those sick look for me."

 


 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYUHYUN!!!!" Ryeowook screamed on top of his lungs and Jongwoon was dancing to his 'abstract moves' as soon as Kyuhyun walked in his room. He was stucked. Stunned for exact, with ribbons and balloons all over the room and a giant transformer cake at the center. He walked towards the cake with '16' candles on top of it and looked at it in awe. He really likes transformer, especially Bumblebee and Optimus, so when he saw them on his cake, he really can't hide his excitement.

"Thank you guys... I really like it."

"Well, blow the candles now, Kyuhyun-ah. So we can eat the cake faster!" Hankyung , who just speak out his innocent mind, got a smack on the head from Leeteuk, but earning some agreement from the rest of the children.

"Don't forget to make a wish, Kyuhyun-ah!"

Kyuhyun nodded and closed his eyes.

 

I want to get out from this hospital with all my friends.

 

As he spoke the words in his head, he blew the candles off, and smiled with satisfaction. If God grant his wish, he would be the happiest kid on the entire universe.

But one thing he acknowledged not so long after the party, where is Han Je? He kept repeating that question until he was about to go to sleep.

"Sst... Kyuhyun-ah," A soft voice was heard from the dark room. Kyuhyun opened his eyes and found a familiar face right in front of his.

Kyuhyun widened his eyes, opened his mouth, ready to scream his head off when Han Je quickly covered his mouth with her hands.

"Can you please not making any mess in the middle of the night, Kyuhyun-ssi?"

Kyuhyun got up from his bed, still a bit traumatized. "Y-yah! How can I not scream when I suddenly see a face an inch right in front of me in the middle of the night!?" 

Han Je shook her head, "Aish... Well at least I can wake you up. I want to show you something." She said in a misterious tone as she grabbed his hand.

"Yah! We are not suppose to go out at night, right? It's not right for our recovery!" Kyuhyun tried his best to stay on the room, but Han Je was more powerful so she can easily dragged him to a park.

"Where are we?" 

"Welcome, to Lee's Royal Park!" Han Je shouted as she spreaded her arms, acting like a ringleader of a circus.

Kyuhyun sighed, "Tch, what kind of name is that?? If you replace Lee to Cho, it would be a lot better. So anyway, why did you bring me here?" 

When Kyuhyun finished his question, Han Je was already sat on a bench. Kyuhyun noticed that she wore an unusual clothes, unlike the one she used to wear which is only a t-shirt and jeans. Tonight, she wore a cute, broken white satin dress with lacey collar. She looked amusing and Kyuhyun admitted that.

"Kyuhyun-ah..." Han Je called. Kyuhyun approached her and took a seat beside her as he confusely looked at her. "I have a question for you." She continued.

"Go on."

"Do you love me?" She lifted her head, looking into Kyuhyun's eyes. 

Kyuhyun, whom not expecting that kind of question, looking back at Han Je's eyes. Eyes that always gave him a chill feeling.

"Yes, of course I do..."

Han Je smiled as she moved her feet. 

"But... If I die, what would you do?" She asked again in a lower tone this time.

Kyuhyun remain silent for a while, didn't know what to answer, until he saw a sunflower on the bushes. He picked it and gave it to her. "I don't know, but I hope it won't happen to any of us. But for now, I think a flower would make you feel better?"

Han Je smiled brightly as she hugged him, her eyes were wet and Kyuhyun can feel that she was sobbing. He patted her head lightly, and cupped her small face with his hands. With a quick move, he kissed her lips softly only for a minute or so and let his hands off her.

"Yeah, I hope it won't happen to any of us..."

 


 

Donghae's wedding day is today, and he choose Kyuhyun as his best man. He is happy. Donghae finally found his soul mate. He remember those days he has spent with him since they were young, since they were out from the hospital together. He still remember the first word that came out from his best friend's mouth when the doctor said he was fully recovered; "Heck yeah."

Someone knock on the door, Kyuhyun let out a loud 'Come in!' and the door is open, revealing Donghae in his groom suit which makes him looks like a prince, someone he always wanted to be since he was young.

"Ah..." Kyuhyun walk towards him. "My brother will be someone's husband and have children, while I will be here, rot to death with your children who will call me ahjussi..." He punch Donghae's chest lightly, earning a small squeak from the groom.

Donghae give Kyuhyun his usual innocent smile and hugged him tightly. "No, Kyu. You won't be my children's babysitter. You will scare the hell out of them." He said with a trembling voice as tear escape from his eye.

"Yeobo..." Min Jung, Donghae's bride, called. "It's time.."

Donghae let go of his hug from Kyuhyun as he smiles brightly, "It's time."

Kyuhyun smiles back, "Yeah, it's time."

 


 

After the wedding was over, Kyuhyun hurriedly went to a park, grabbed a sunflower, and went to a big oak tree on the hill near his hospital.

"Yah, Han Je-ah! Donghae is a married man now, I envy him sooo much!" Kyuhyun said with an annoyed voice. Pretend to be angry at Donghae.

"You know, if you are here right now, he would be the first who should take care of our children!" 

Kyuhyun laughed at his own words. He laughed and laughed until his stomach hurt. Until tears start to streamed down and the laugh soon changed to a painful sobs.

Then, he got up and placed the sunflower on a tombstone, that reads: 

 

Lee Han Je

1988-2005

This is not a goodbye or a hello.

 

PS: To Kyuhyun, please give me a flower to make me feel better.