Chapter One

Pictures

 

“Let’s take a picture together!”

Byun Baekhyun immediately groaned when he heard his girlfriend’s words. He scratched his head and looked at his girlfriend who was sitting right beside her in disbelief.  Meanwhile his girlfriend, who went by the name of Cho Ahreum, was looking at him with her adorable hopeful eyes. Baekhyun then noticed that she was already holding a digital camera, absolutely ready to snap their picture together.

This again?

“But jagi, we already took one on this very same couch just….what? Four days ago? I don’t think our faces change much in such a short time, don’t they? Besides, we’re just watching tv right now like we usually do.”

Baekhyun complained. Don’t get him wrong, it’s not like he didn’t like to take photos with his own girlfriend. He liked it as much as any normal boyfriend would, but he just thought that Ahreum’s liking to take pictures with him was a little bit…strange.

Baekhyun thought it’s normal if  they took couple pictures on special occasions, such as birthdays, dates, anniversaries, or something else along the line. But Ahreum, she made sure that they took pictures literally every single time they were together. Even if they just met for a few hours, or even minutes, which happened a lot, considering his busy job as an idol, she never forgot to take at least one picture.

Ahreum’s facial expression quickly showed disappointment when she heard his boyfriend’s words.

“Come on, Hyunnie, just a picture, I promise, just one picture, this will make me so happy, please?”

She begged him in a pitiful tone that Baekhyun couldn’t stand to hear for long.

“Fine.”

Baekhyun finally sighed in surrender. Though he was always complaining when she wanted to take photos in odd times, in the end he always let her have her way. He loved her, and if taking pictures was what required in order to make her happy, then he’d take as many as she wanted. But that didn’t mean he would stop complaining about it.

Acknowledging Baekhyun’s surrender, Ahreum immediately smiled. She pecked his cheek and then held the camera in front of their faces, getting ready to take their picture together.

“Okay, here we go…1…2….no, smile Hyunnie! Stop looking like I just accidentally used your eyeliner again.”

Ahreum said in a bossy tone when she saw from the corner of her eyes that Baekhyun was pouting his lips. Baekhyun obediently changed his expression and smile his adorable smile in a second.

“Good, now, 1…2…3!”

The camera then elicited a click sound.

“Ah, this one is so cute, thanks Hyunnie!”

Ahreum cheerfully said when she looked at the picture that was just taken. She turned her face to look at Baekhyun and then briefly kissed his lips, making Baekhyun felt a little giddy. This was Baekhyun’s favorite part.  She always kissed him every time after they took pictures together , it’s like she was thankful that he was there to take pictures with her. He found it also strange, but rather endearing. Of course, he never ever complained about this particular strange habit of her.

“Why do you always want to take pictures every time we met?”

Baekhyun asked her curiously. She didn’t like to take couple pictures  this often  at first, but since a point of time that Baekhyun couldn’t exactly remember when, she began to do it. For a split second, Baekhyun thought that he saw something unusual crossed her eyes, but it was gone as quick as it came, until he thought that it must be just his imagination.

Ahreum smiled cheerfully at him.

“I just feel like I want to. It makes me happy that we have so many pictures together, don’t you feel happy?”

“Of course I’m happy, it’s just-“

His words was cut off by the sudden ringing of his phone. He sighed and flipped open his phone to read the new text message that he just received.

“Damn. I’m sorry baby I have to go. The managers suddenly want to brief us on something. I don’t know what, possibly some sudden shooting schedule.”

“It’s all right. I totally understand. Go then.”

She said with a smile, though her face showed her disappointment. Baekhyun felt a familiar feeling of guilt in his heart. This was not the first time his job interrupted their together times that were already rare in the first place.

“I’m really sorry, okay? I’ll see you again as soon as I can.”

Baekhyun said softly in a regretful tone, while cupping her face with his hands and kissed her lips. He could feel her immediately melted into his kiss and he instinctively deepened the kiss, enjoying the sweet taste of her that he loved.

At some point of time, Baekhyun forced himself to broke the kiss, causing a confused expression to appear in Ahreum’s flushed face. Baekhyun chuckled and rose from the couch.

“I really have to go jagi, and I don’t think I’d have the willpower to if I continue what I did even for just one more second.”

He said as he hastily put his shoes on and opened the door. Ahreum immediately followed him to the door.

“I’ll call you, okay? Love you!”

Baekhyun said as he kissed her forehead.

“Love you too, be careful Hyunnie!”

She replied him with a smile. Baekhyun watched as her smile disappeared as she closed her apartment door. He his heels and immediately walked to the elevator. For some reason, he couldn’t get her strange expression when he asked her about her weird habit out of his head.

Ah, I think too much. The lamp light had to play some kind of trick with my eyes.

He tried to dismiss the thought, but still, on his way to the  SM building, he couldn’t help but replay her expression in his head, over and over again, for he really felt that there’s something that wasn’t right, something important that he should have caught in her eyes, but he failed to.