Ingress of Suffering

Answer Keys (If He Loves You Back Part 2)

My phone vibrates and I ignore it. It continues to vibrate and giving up, I look at it. It’s Sehun; he’s calling me for the first time. It must be his Hanna Lee issue. I stand up and go out my room. Myungsoo’s asleep on the floor and he didn’t flinch or anything. He must be really tired.

“Yoboseo? Sehun, mohae?” I ask him.
“Nae-rin, sorry for calling you at this time,” I look at the clock and it’s half-pass 11, “It’s just that, I can’t sleep . . . Unless until I tell her. Will you help me?”
“Sehun . . .” I whisper. It’s too late for anything.
“Please, Nae-rin. I will . . ,” I cut him off.
“So, what’s your plan?”
“I’m not really sure. Any suggestion?” Oh, that just made the situation worse.
“I don’t know.  It should be your effort. Everything should be yours and I’ll just be your back up if things won’t fall to place. I’ll probably have something up my sleeve to save your Class Ball.”
“Nae-rin, koma . . . Wait! I have something, but I’m hoping we can do it now.”
“What? At this time?” Then I remember, once again, Myungsoo’s confession. That was an inapt time, like at a school, at the start of the day when everyone’s just wants to go back to sleep. I wonder how that went well. I guess it’s the risk I took when our heartbeats synchronized.
There is silence at the other end of the phone. I guess what I said degraded him. Who am I to crush someone’s happiness? “Sehun? Are you sure you can do it? Because I will really take on your situation as if your life will depend on it. And I’m dead serious.” Dead serious that I know what Hanna Lee will answer if he asks her out.
“I guess so. I think I’m ready.”
“I guess? I think? What’s all that? Where’s the Sehun we all know? Where’s the fighter? This will go really well, I promise you. Now, tell me what’s on your mind.”
“Well, there’s a small event at midnight and I know that she’ll come. I just need to make out the right words and effort to push this through. I want you to be there, appear as if one of the crowd and I’ll just think of something.”
“I’m not being doubtful, but how will you . . . propose?”
“I’ll be a part of the event. I’ll sing for the crowd. I’ll ask her up onstage, and then I’ll make my attempt.”

    Ending the conversation, I run to my room and shake Myungsoo awake.
He groans loudly and he doesn’t want being waked up at this time.
“Nae-rin, what is it? It’s,” he opens one of his eyes open and closes them again, “It’s almost twelve. What is it now?”
“Sehun’s going to propose to Hanna Lee tonight . . . today, I mean. At twelve midnight there will be an event and they both will be there. He’ll propose to her in front of the crowd,” I say, probably too happily.
“What?! What kind of time . . . Argh! It won’t work!” I hold him tighter around his arm.
“Won’t work?” He stops resisting and starts to think.
“Why wouldn’t it work? We know her answer. I’m sorry, I forgot all about it. So what’s our part?”
“Somebody’s.”
“Somebody’s? What is somebody’s?”
“Just someone in the crowd, we’ve got no role.”
“So, why should we be there?”
“To witness it.”
“Fine.”
“Yeah!” I shout as if really happy with all these. Thinking of it, I really am.

 

“Excuse me. Excuse me, coming though. Please make way, we’re Sehun’s friend,” Myungsoo keeps on saying as we push through the crowd and he’s holding my hand really tight as if I’m going to get lost in this sea of people. Finally, we’re in front and everything will look so clear in front.
“A moment of silence please, my music family,” a man in stylish clothing says and the crowds noise shushes down. “My music people . . . make some noise!” Okay, that’s bipolar. Everyone suddenly goes wild, screaming, jumping and singing together with the song.  Animalistic, I thought. Myungsoo squeezes my hand and he looks at me in a sad way, I think. I give him an assuring smile saying I’m fine with all these hedonists.
“Sorry everyone, but I’m going to ruin your party mood,” Sehun appears and the crowd laughs.
“I’ll sing to you a song that I hope will help you, guys, realize that there’s someone out there who might just confess or propose.” Boom! There goes the head start!      
   He starts singing Something Flutters by Ra. D. Even this song can make me really fall in love. Hanna Lee will really feel that something is fluttering and I hope that it’s not anymore butterflies, but her very heart. Jeez, if Myungsoo can hear me say this, he would probably be laughing at me. But what can he do, I’m a girl. For us, everything a guy does that is sweet seems like a confession of love. Or hope that it is.
“After he confesses to her, let’s go home, okay?” Myungsoo says as his voice bounces over Sehun’s song.
“Why the hurry? We can stay here for a while. School is really stressful, you know?” I ask.
“But . . . I want to hear you.”
“Hear me? Hear me what? Snore? Do I snore? Ommo~na! Mianhae.”
“No, it’s not that. Your . . . Night talks. I keep hearing them and . . . they’re pretty.” So, he finally found and heard my night talks.
“I guess you . . .”
“Yes, remembered what you said. So you talk about me in them before? That’s why your omma knew of me before actually seeing me. Komawo, night talks. I didn’t know they’re such blessings.”
“Myungsoo . . .” I giggle too suddenly. “I’m embarrassed that you’re talking about that thing with me. It is awkward.” I lift my face to meet his with a smile. He stares at me blankly and then smiles.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to embarrass you or anything. It’s just that, they sound poetic. I can stay up all night just to hear you talk about fantasy and love. Everything sounds dreamy as if you and I are the only people existing in this world, or so I think so.” Flattered! Whaha!! I’m rejoicing in my head. Screaming out of butterflies would seem irrational, considering this moment we are in.

“Gakkeumeun apeugo jogeumeun eosaekhaedo hangeoreumssik sijakhae mallon motal eotteon seolleimeuro, (Though it hurts sometimes and it’s a bit awkward. Let’s start step by step, with a heart fluttering feeling that can’t be expressed with words)” Sehun sings, ending the song. The crowd claps and I can see some couple holding hands already and others giving another a quick or even a sly peck on their partner’s lips. I can’t help but smile, this is too dreamy.

“Chogeeyo, yeorobeun (Excuse me, everyone). I would want to call someone up the stage,” he says and his hands are shaking. I think no one sees it but I or I just think I’m the only one thinking of it that way. I look around trying to spot Hanna Lee somewhere in the crowd.  I’m getting worried, I can’t see her anywhere. With Myungsoo’s hand still intertwined with mine, he squeezes it to which I hurriedly look at him. He tilts his head towards the stage. Sehun’s hand is outstretched toward the crowd when a hand grabs it and a familiar bracelet tells me that this is it. Hanna Lee emerges on the stage and she stands beside Sehun, probably her blood starting to drain. Okay, that’s plain exaggeration.

“I see you in school more often than not and I know that you’re my batch mate, but I don’t really know your name. So, what is it?” he asks, lying eventually, to get his act on. Okay, I just hope he’ll play his part without any mistakes.
“Hanna Lee … or Lee Hanna, if you prefer it,” she says smiling.
“You what Hanna Lee, I’m going to propose to someone. And she’s somewhere in the crowd.” The crowd howls and some girls shriek with glee hearing ‘propose’.
“You see that girl over there?” he asks, pointing somewhere right in front of her. Hanna Lee nods with a grim smile on her face. She expected it was her. I thought it was her. What is he doing?
“Do you really see that girl in front of you? Do you really see her?” he asks again and again, still pointing at the girl in the crowd who’s obviously blood and flesh. Where is he going with all these? Did he change plan? What a player! I should’ve kno . . .
“I’m going to propose to the girl in front of her.” The crowd claps and there were fits of laughter. Hanna Lee’s forehead creases with question. She looks down at the stage floor then to the girl in front of her. She points a finger at the girl, makes an invisible line between her and the girl and there’s no one in front of the girl except well, herself.
“Are you proposing to me Sehun?” I hear Hanna Lee say faintly.
“I guess. Well, I am. Will you be my date for the Class Ball? And maybe, just maybe, will you be my girlfriend?” he asks her. The microphone he’s holding is away from his mouth but I can actually make out what he’s saying. Answer, the answer. What will she say? I used to know what she will say, but by the risky strategy he devised is well, too risky to be answered with a yes.
She gasps, probably having a hard time to let what he said register. She looks at the crowd with eyes big, probably finding someone who may seem suspicious and think of this as a set up. She looks beyond me and Myungsoo, so I guess we’re safe.
“I . . . I guess . . . I have to say ‘yes’ and another ‘yes’. Sehun, I will be your date for the Class Ball. And yes, I would like to be your girlfriend.” She says then twirls around out of shyness, maybe.
“You heard that guys? The song worked!” he says and laughs. Hanna Lee moves toward him and slap him on his arm. She seems a bit cautious when it comes to affection. Sehun pouts and then grabs Hanna Lee by the arm, gets her hand and intertwines his hand with hers. As they both walk ‘out’ the stage, Sehun mouths at me ‘kamsamnida’ and I just nod, acknowledging his happiness with what has come with me doing nothing. Probably a little encouragement.