Final

Laughter

 

Hyukjae walks into the university’s cafeteria and walks straight towards one of the empty tables at the corner. He’s not in the mood to eat as he can hear people around him whispering quite loudly. They are whispering about him. More like gossiping around.  

                Hyukjae sighs softly and rolled his eyes in annoyance. He buried his face on the table; trying to ignore the not so faint voices. It has only been the second week since he entered this university; and this is not the first time he is forced to face this kind of situation. However, the hurt he feels is always the same.

                He is the university’s director’s son. Even so, he did not get into the university because of his father.  It was based on his own merit during the entrance exam. He is indeed an intelligent person. However, who would want to believe in him. Not especially when he brings in a bad boy image.

                “Look at him. Who does he think he is?”

                “I bet he is the most spoiled brat in this whole university.”

                “What on earth is he wearing??”

                Hyukjae really did try his best in ignoring those comments. But when he hears one particular comment, “I wonder how his parents managed to keep up with him this whole while.”

                And that did it.

                Hyukjae stands up abruptly; slamming the table and quickly head towards the cafeteria’s entrance. He needs to be somewhere quiet. Once he is outside the cafeteria, he starts walking slowly, not really knowing his direction.

                He keeps on walking until he reached a park inside the university compound. He is shocked as he never knows there is a park in this university. He strolls around the park and finds a tall shady tree. It seems like it is the only tree in the park. He walks towards the tree and sit under it. He sighs. He tries to count on how many times have he had smiled a genuine smile since the term started. There was none. Let alone has he let out a laugh? Again, Hyukjae sighs and closes his eyes; wanting to escape from this world for a while.

                After a while, Hyukjae hears some shuffling sound, approaching him. However, he feels too tired to open his eyes. That does not last though as someone starts talking to him.

                “Excuse me, are you alright?”

                Hyukjae peeks an eye at the stranger. “I’m fine” is his reply before he closes his eye and leans his back against the tree; totally ignoring the guy, probably around his age, who is still standing beside him.

                Hyukjae scrunched his nose a bit as he feels his gaze on him. He slowly opens his eyes just to find the guy, now sitting comfortably beside him while watching him intently. He widens his eyes and backs away a bit; quite surprised as he does not realize since when the guy has sat next to him.

                The guy chuckled and smiles at his reaction.

                “I am Donghae and you can call me..umm...Donghae! xD”

                Hyukjae eyes the guy beside him before nodding once; muttering his name towards the still smiling guy beside him.

                “I know.” Donghae’s smile widens; showing his perfect rows of teeth.

                “I saw that little scene in the cafeteria. Mind telling me what happened?” Donghae asks; his eyes showing that he is concern.

                Hyukjae let out another soft sigh, closing back his eyes, muttering a “Nothing much” softly, but loud enough for the guy beside him to hear him.

                Donghae pouted a bit before smiling widely back. “You know…” he starts, trying to get Hyukjae's attention, which works.

                “Not everyone in this university thinks badly of you.” he says, keeping the smile on his face.

                Hyukjae looks at Donghae, not really wanting to say anything.

                “Why don’t you open up a little? If you do, you will find out that there are a lot of people here who wants to befriend with you, but never really get the chance to do so.” he purses his lips a little at the end of his words.

                This made Hyukjae’s lips twitch at the corners before breaking into a smile.

                “Really? Thanks” he says, showing his gummy smile.

                Donghae’s smile goes wider than before, if that is even possible.

                “Well, if you haven’t notice, I have the same class as you do after this and we are already late by…” he pauses, looking at his wrist watch “… 10 minutes” he says, keeping the wide smile on his face.

                Hyukjae’s eyes widen and he quickly sits up. “Why didn’t you say that earlier???”

                Donghae simply chuckeled and follows Hyukjae.

                “Well then, what are you waiting for? Let’s run for it!” and then he started running while laughing with Hyukjae trailing behind him, also laughing.

                Hyukjae feels the boulders on his shoulder gone as he keeps on running and laughing with Donghae. That is the first laughter he lets in the past two weeks. The happy sound echoes throughout the hallway cheering everyone around.  And, to say that ‘laughter is the best medicine’ is an understatement.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well....this is a short story...VEEEERRRYYYY short..ihihih..