Confusion

Clay

 

"Kai I think it’s time for you to start school.” Hyorin says one day, looking at Kai with serious eyes. Mouth agape he drops the half eaten bread roll in his head.

“Why?” he whispers, lips dry. Hyorin sighs.

“Kai, you are so intelligent. You are so young, yet your knowledge of most things is high school level. We will have to work on biology and history a bit, I admit that, but other than those two subjects, you are definitely ready.” Hyorin smiles gently at Kai. “Your mental age matches with your appearance.” Kai frowns.

“But I want to stay home. With you,” He mumbles, head down. Hyorin sighs once again and wraps her arm around Kai’s shoulder. He shivers slightly at her touch.

“I know,” she murmurs sympathetically. “That’s what I want too. But I need to go back to working full time, and you know that.” Kai groans and gently pushes her arm of him. He stands up and starts walking towards his bedroom but as Hyorin grabs his wrist he comes to a halt.

“Kai, please,” she says. And how can he say no?

 

With a smile Hyorin smoothes his navy jacket, readjusts his black tie. Kai looks down at her with sad eyes, still hoping that she would make the last minute decision to not make him go. To his dismay, Hyorin says nothing of the sort.  She just pats him on the cheek before handing him his book bag. “I packed pencils, erasers, notebooks, water and some money for lunch. Is there anything else you need?” Kai shakes his head and Hyorin smiles a somewhat strained smile. “Okay, good. Today I’ll take the bus with you, but let’s work on teaching you how to ride a bike this weekend okay?” She sighs as Kai only  nods in response. “Ready to go?” Without waiting for his response, Hyorin grabs his wrist pulling him with her to the bus station. This bus ride he doesn’t marvel at things or observe the people or sit at the edge of his seat. Rather, he stares blankly out the window as his surroundings zoom past as nothing more but a blur. He’s tired. And upset. And cold. He can’t keep a small trace of a smile of his lips though as Hyorin reassuringly intertwines their hands, giving his a light squeeze. Starting to warm back up a little bit, he leans his head against hers and on the inside Hyorin is sighing in relief. After a short while they step off the bus and Kai ends up staring at the big building in front of him. A sign welcomes him to ISHS, the same letters embroidered on his blazer. He watches in fascination as student after student runs trudges through the gates, their loud chit chat filling the air. Hyorin draws Kai a little closer.

“Kai, I want you to go to the main office and tell them who you are okay? It should be easy to find, but if it isn’t, asks someone.” Scooting even closer she mumbles: “I want you to have fun, okay? Meet some new people, make some friends. Don’t be gloomy all day.” Kai looks down on her, scepticism in his eyes. “Kai.” Hyorin says in an attempt to a threatening voice. “Promise?” Kai nods reluctantly.

“I promise.” Hyorin smiles widely at him.
“Good. Hurry along then. I’ll pick you up after work!” She pushes Kai in the direction of the school and moping a bit, he walks towards it. Occasionally glancing over his shoulder to see if she is still there. The third time he checks she isn’t.

 

Kai is directed to classroom 2- 9 by a plump, talkative lady in the office. She chit-chats with him all the way there and, much to Kai’s relief, doesn’t expect him to answer. He is quickly introduced to the class as his eyes scan over his classmates, some looking at him with peculiar interest, some not caring one bit to even glance at him.
“You can have a seat next to miss Park in the third row,” the teacher says in a friendly tone and Kai obliges, settling himself next to a girl, so engrossed by her book that she at first doesn’t notice his presence. It isn’t until they are about ten minutes into the lesson that she catches him in the corner of her eye. She lets out a small yelp as she sees him, luckily not heard by the teacher. Kai just looks at her, trying to figure her out, and not really succeeding. Not that he has ever succeeded in figuring anything out.

The girl flashes her teeth in an attempt to make up for her previous lack of attention.
“My name’s Hyewon,” she whispers with a smile that makes a dimple appear on her left cheek.

The second thing Kai notices about Hyewon is that she has a nice smile. It probably would be the first thing if it wasn’t for the fact that her hair is an incredibly distracting shade of deep blue. It surrounds her face messily, giving her appearance a sense of carelessness. Kai can see small ink marks on her face, in contrast to her pale skin. She looks at him with curiosity in her eyes. The seconds pass by and impatiently she huffs.

“Well aren’t you going to tell me yours?” she says with a hint of mischief to her voice.

“It’s Kai,” he mumbles, fiddling with his hands. The girl looks at him with no less intensity than before. “Kai what?” she asks. Kai stops to think for a while. Kai what? He doesn’t really know.

“Just Kai,” he says, lacking any other answer. Hyewon chuckles a bit.

“So you’re the mysterious type huh?” she says, but not in a mean, mocking way. She grins and puts her hand forward for him to shake. “Well then, just Kai; you’re in good company.”

 

When the bell rings for lunch, all the students eagerly stream out of the classroom, excited for a short break in their constant learning. Kai walks alone, hands in his pockets, towards the cafeteria. A sudden hand on his shoulder makes him look back. A boy, around his height, who he recognised from English is smiling coolly at him.

“Hey,” he says.

“Um, Hi,” Kai responds, confused.

“You’re Kai right?” he says and then continues before Kai has a chance to open his mouth. “Want to sit with me and my friends for lunch?” As he sees slight hesitation in Kai’s eyes he hurriedly adds: “We don’t do this often you know. Ask people to sit with us I mean. But your face is just the kind of addition we need to our group.” Kai looks at him, now extremely confused. He notices the boy becoming frustrated as he lowers his tone and leans in closer.

“You’re a good looking guy Kai, one of very few at this school. You’re the kind of person that fits with our group’s image. So we want you to sit with us. How does that sound?”

The boy looks at him intensely and Kai starts to feel slightly uncomfortable.

 Meet some new people, make some friends. Don’t be gloomy all day.

Hyorin’s words make the decision for him. “Okay,” he answers, and the boy leans away, relieved. “I’m Sehun by the way,” he says. Kai nods, expecting the boy to keep quiet the rest of the way. Sehun, however, just keeps talking and talking.

“I noticed you sitting by Hyewon today,” he says with a grin that makes Kai feel slightly intimidated. “God she’s such a freak. Always got her nose buried in some stupid book.” Kai frowns. He thought she was nice. Sehun continues. “She has a nice rack though. Pretty much the only thing good about her.” He laughs stupidly at his own comment and Kai laughs along awkwardly. The more he talks to this Sehun guy, the more distaste he feels. His fake ‘ha-ha’s’ makes him feel bad about himself, because Kai cannot honestly understand what is so funny.