Chapter 1

Cerulean

 

A loud cry, and then Sunggyu found a piece of paper smacked onto his face. He had been spacing out in his seat in the classroom, since the bell signaling the start of school hadn’t rung yet. Scowling, he ripped the piece of paper off from his face and glared at his best friend, who in turn was giving him a wide grin.

 

“To what do I owe your presence and a smack in the face this early in the morning, Yeol?” Sunggyu managed to grumble out. He was still sleepy because he had stayed up very late trying to finish all his homework. As he was someone who valued his sleep quite a bit, his was also a bit grumpy. Now he regretted playing Starcraft until his mother had come in to yell at him for wasting his time gaming.

 

“Look, Gyu!” Sungyeol shoved the piece of paper in his face again. “Our school decided to have this weird secret penpal letter exchanging thing! It’s supposed to help with our mental well-being and help us lower our stress levels or something but who cares? It’s going to be fun!”

 

Sunggyu snorted. If anyone in the school needed help with their mental well-being, it would be his best friend Lee Sungyeol.

 

“I’m not going to part of this nonsense, Sungyeol.”

 

“Oh, but Sunggyu, it’s mandatory. See, it says so right here!”

 

Sunggyu groaned, letting his forehead hit his desk with a loud thud.

 

Why.

 

----

 

It wasn’t long before the bell rang and the teacher stood at the front of the class, yelling at them to quiet down. 

 

“So, as some of you have probably seen from the various notices put up around the school,” their teacher declared with that booming voice of his, “Kyungnam High School is planning an activity for the whole school population, and yes, it is indeed mandatory. You will be paired up with someone anonymous  in the school and will be writing letters to each other, sort of like a school-wide penpal type thing. You will hand in your letters with the number of your partner written clearly on the envelope to the office, which has a record of all the numbers of the students. They will be handed out at the end of every week. ” With that said, the teacher pulled out a box from under the desk filled with envelopes. 

 

“You are all assigned a number and inside each of these envelopes is the number of your partner and whether or not you will be writing the first letter. You may create a nickname so that you do not need to address each other as simply numbers, but you may not, and I repeat, you may NOT reveal who you are until this activity is over. Do I make myself clear?”

 

There was a chorus of “Yes!” from the class and then the teacher proceeded to hand out the envelopes to everyone in the class. 

 

Sunggyu stared at the white envelope with his name printed neatly at the top right corner, not wanting to open it. Who came up with this stupid idea in the first place anyways? was the only thought going through his head. Sungyeol on the other hand, had already ripped open his own envelope (and messily too), eyes scanning the piece of paper enclosed. 

 

“I GOT NUMBER 2934! I WONDER WHO THAT IS.”

 

The teacher gave Sungyeol a look that clearly told him to shut up, but he didn’t seem to see or care. It would probably be the latter.

 

“OH LOOK, I’M WRITING THE FIRST LETTER!”

 

“Shut. Up. Sungyeol.”

 

----

 


“Sunggyu open your envelope.”

 

“No, Sungyeol, I don’t want to.”

 

“Sunggyu open your envelope.”

 

“Shut up, Dongwoo-- HEY GIVE IT BACK.” Before Sunggyu could stop him, Dongwoo had already snatched the envelope that had been next to Sunggyu’s lunch tray and had started ripping it open. Sunggyu gave up, knowing that he would always lose to the mischievous pair. The three of them were currently eating lunch at their normal table in the cafeteria, where no one would pay attention to them. Sunggyu and his friends were not exactly what you would call “popular” in the school.

 

“Number 1004. Looks like you got an angel, Sunggyu. And the angel’s the one that’s going to write the first letter! Are you excited?” Sunggyu looked up at Dongwoo practically jumping in his seat.

 

“No. No I am not.”

 

“SUNGGYU-HYUNG!”

 

Sunggyu winced at the high-pitched squeal and knew exactly who it was. 

 

“Lee Sungjong, if this is about the stupid letter exchanging thing I will hear none of it,” Sunggyu mumbled, then stuffing his sandwich into his mouth so he could avoid talking to the younger.

 

“But HYUNG, what if you got YOU KNOW WHO,” Sungjong practically screamed in his face, eyes wide and sparkling. Sunggyu simply remained silent and continued munching on his arguably delicious sandwich. The younger boy rolled his eyes, knowing that Sunggyu usually ignores everyone when it comes to you know who

 

However, Sunggyu’s eyes secretly strayed to the table in the middle of the cafeteria, to the boy with dark hair swept over his deep mocha eyes, with a beautiful laugh that could make him swoon any day-- okay, he needs to stop acting like a girl, Sunggyu decides. That, or Nam Woohyun needs to stop being so perfect.

 

----

 

Okay, so this is the first introductory/pilot chapter or whatever you'd like to call it, so that's why it's a bit short. I hoped you liked it ;w; I'll try to write whenever I have time or when I am procrastinating.