The Meeting

The Meaning of Destiny

March 2, 2012

It was the first day of college at Seoul University and I was anticipating it more than anything. For some reason, I felt that soemthing good might happen that day. Sure enough, something did.

I met him.....

As I entered the University, I was welcomed with many students with maps on their hands and a questioning look on their faces walking around trying to find their way around the building. Everything inside was foreign to me. I began to feel overwhelmed by the surroundings. I started to imagine the lifestyle that I will soon be needing to get used to and the new experiences that I'll be facing. It gave me the shivers just thinking about it.

As I stood there, still in wonderland, one person caught my eye. Books in one hand, leaning on the wall and talking on his cellphone with a smile drawn on his face. I dont know what made him different, but he stood out. It seems like there was a connection between us that I couldnt explain. I stared at him for a little bit feeling a bit of comfort with him around. It felt strange so I just shrugged it off. There was no such thing as a "connection" between two strangers. I didnt believe in those mumbo jumbo. I revert my eyes from him and focused on the map i was holding.

To get the books I need for my classes, I started to look for the library. It took me awhile to find it, but I was just glad I arrived. After scanning my student card near the entrance, I opened the door to the huge building. I stared in awe at the stacks, rows and piles of books in shelves everywhere I looked. It was the biggest library I've ever been in and it sure looked like I can find every book known to man inside.

Snapping out of my fascination, I took light steps in, being careful not to make disruptive sounds that may wreck the deafening silence surrounding me. Going straight to the math section, I looked for a textbook called "Mathematics Works," Seeing only one left, I quickedly reached out my hand to take it. As I touched the spine of it, I was stopped by another pair of hands that were also intending to get it. I slowly rose my head to get a glimpse of the other, and to my surprise, he looked familliar. He was the guy I saw earlier this morning. We made eye contact for a second before turning our heads away and letting go of the book at the same time. There was an awkward silence until he spoke.

"Umm..you can have it. I'll just ask the librarian if they have another one. "

He then turned around and walked away. I didnt get to say a word to him because that strange feeling came back. That sense of familliarity with him. It seems like he's someone I should know...or I will know. I wasnt sure what was happening. It's definitely not that I fell love at first sight with him, I know that for sure. My heart doesn't beat fast and I dont get nervous around him.

Maybe it's just because its the first day of University.

I tried hard to convince myself that those reasons were reasonable, but no matter how much I do that, I never believe it.

What kind of first meeting is this?