First Step Forward

He Belongs to Me

---March 12, 2012 (1:00pm) ---

Chaerin glanced down at the slip of paper between her fingers then back towards the boarded up house in front of her. Tentatively she knocked on the door after a moment of pause she pounded on it harder in hope's that those inside simply did not hear. Once she realized there was no one answering she decided to circle around the house to look for a way in.

Every window was sealed shut the boards and walls covered in tags from many of the local gangs some of them she recognized some were unfamiliar. Yong Guk had told taught her that you can learn a lot about a gang from something like grafitti by looking at ones that covered other gangs you could tell which groups had rivalries. You could determine what territories belonged to who or which ones were still being feuded over which was arguably the most important bit of information when hoping to travel these streets safely.

Gangs with more power and influence tend to have bigger art with little to no overlapping. Behind the house was an alley a large wall stood opposite the house Chaerin felt a chill creep up her spine and spread through her skull as she stood staring at the massive letters emboldened in black and gold across the length of the concrete.

Looking away quickly she stood on her toes peering through the boards only able to see slivers of the empty rooms. She rocked back on her heels pulling her cell from her packet and dialing the ten digits she now knew by heart.

By the second ring Himchan’s voice greeted her on the other end. “Hey Chaerin, what’s up?”

“I was calling about the address you gave me.”

“The one for Zelo? I can give you directions.”

“No. I’m here, it’s just that uh,” She scratched the back of her neck. “He isn’t. This house is abandoned are you sure this is the right place?”

“I’m sure. At least I am sure it is the one he gave me.” He sounded perplexed, “I will try and call him –”

“No, don’t worry about it I will call him myself.” She checked her watch making sure she had time, “Hey, when was the last time you were in down town?”

He in air through his teeth, “Uh, Almost a year and a half actually the only one I know that lives there anymore is Zelo and he comes to see me. Why?”

She frowned as she looked back at the alley wall, “No reason.”

 

--- (4:00pm) ---

Chaerin gave a quick nod to the girl behind the counter before takin taking her tray of food to a table. She groaned as she took a bite of her burger, searching for him had been busy work especially since she had rarely come to this part of town after what happened with his brother. She had no idea where he usually hung out at though she had checked all the typical places like the arcade, park, mall, and subway to no avail.

She had been hoping to spot Jay as he made his usual rounds around town but she hadn’t got that lucky. Sipping her Dr. Pepper her gaze drifted out towards the street a young mother pushed a stroller down the sidewalk hollering at her toddler to stay beside her, a beggar sat with a sign and can for spare change, while droves of people marched on by to their destinations oblivious to everything surrounding them.

Then she saw him, she supposed it would be hard to miss his six foot frame and bubble gum pink hair. Abandoning her food she tore out of the restaurant darting down the street opposite him struggling to keep up as he glided on his skate board.

“Zelo! Zelo! Jun Hong!” She hollered after him, but he did not respond and she let out a frustrated growl when she noticed the oversized headphones covering his ears.

When she finally reached a crossing she ran after him as he turned the corner going downhill while she couldn’t keep up she saw the building he had entered and slowed her pace to try and catch her breath.

It was a restaurant titled Big Mama’s and as she stood just outside the door she noticed a couple of brutish looking men who stood out front smoking. She walked up slowly giving them a slight nod which they returned going back to their conversation, as she pushed open the door.

Immediately she was greeted by a young woman with a bright smile her name tag read “Ji Hyun”. “Welcome. Table for how many?”

“One.”

Ji Hyun tilted her head slightly her practiced smile stayed in place as she nodded. “Okay, right this way.”

“Actually,” Chaerin leaned slightly to look around her spotting the boy. “Table for two.”

The girl turned noticing her gaze she gave the blonde a wink. “Oh Zelo! He is a cutie and he loves his noona’s.”

“Uh-huh,” Chaerin smiled tightly and nodded as the girl guided her to a table then called out to him.

When he turned CL waved at him, his eyes widened and he jumped to his feet and in a few quick strides he was sitting across from her grinning from ear to ear. “Noona you came to visit me.”

“Yeah.” She smile reaching across the table to pat his hand. “I’m sorry Zelo.”

“For what?” His brow raised curiously.

“Are you ready to order?” A short girl who looked about Zelo’s age asked in a clipped tone eyeing Chaerin suspiciously.

“Oh, right.” She glanced at the menu pointing at a random dish, “This one here and a Dr. Pepper.”

“The usual Lee Hi.” He winked at waitress making her grin from ear to ear as she nodded.

When she was gone Chaerin chuckled, “She likes you a lot.”

“Yeah, she’s alright.” He shrugged.

Letting out a breath she stared at him in silence for a short while until they had their drinks. “I’m sorry I haven’t been here for you.”

He sipped his drink still eyeing her puzzled. “I don’t follow.”

“All this time and I never once came out here to see you or make sure you were alright.” She stirred her drink absently, “You were the most important person in his life and after he passed I was so caught up in taking care of Dara I forgot about you.”

“It’s okay –”

“No it’s not!” She replied a little too sharply making him jolt upright. “You were so young and I should have been there – hell I didn’t even know where you were living before today. I thought you were still with your grandma and just wrote it off.”

“I told myself that you would be fine that you didn’t need me or that one of the others would look out for you, but it was all bull.” She inhaled looking up at him with a sad smile, “We used to be so close you, me, and him. We would do everything together and I abandoned you.”

“I could never admit to myself that being around you was just too damn hard. You are so much like him, you know that don’t you?” He turned away staring at a picture across the aisle to avoid her gaze. “I was weak and so I fed myself excuse after excuse of why I didn’t need to worry about you and put all my energy in to taking care of Dara.”

“It was easier to pretend that I was actually helping someone but in truth I just ended up screwing everything up beyond all recognition.”

“You’re too hard on yourself noona.”  He sniffed wiping at his eyes, “You’re not responsible for taking care of everyone.”

“Not everyone, but you are family.” He sat quiet for a moment as he chewed on his lip. “It is absolutely ridiculous that it took a near death experience for me to finally get my together.”

“Huh?” His eyes were wide his mouth agape.

“No one told you?”

“Told me what?”

“Here’s your food!” Lee Hi chirped setting down their plates before them and Zelo waved her off quickly ignoring her wounded glare.

Chaerin explained the events that unfolding the day of the accident which felt like years ago as she sat here now. Watching as the boys reactions as his face pulled into a scowl over the dress shop incident, concern of her getting ill, wide eyed at Dara’s ranting and angry when she mentioned the part about his brother.

“I can’t believe that accused Himchan of that!” He hissed stabbing at the steak on his plate. “What is her damage?”

Finishing her tale of them speeding down the bridge and the crash itself and how Himchan came to the rescue the shock was clear on his face his hand frozen in midair before he took the next bite. She paused an took a deep breath she didn’t know why but she suddenly felt her chest tighten as she remembered the horrid sound of the glass shattering beneath her feet and the frigid waters that had swallowed her up.

“Noona?” She jerked up as he rested his hand on her shoulder, “Are you okay?”

Realizing she had been clenching her cup so tightly her knuckles began turning white she loosed her hold slowly. “Fine, it’s just still a little hard to think about.”

“How about we take this stuff to go and I will tell you all about it on the way to your place?”

He nodded, and waved his hand to get Lee Hi’s attention.

--- (6:00pm) ---

 

 

They walked for a while before stopping in front of an apartment building, it was about three stories and it was in far better condition than the house she hand stopped by first in search of him.

"This is my new place." He jerked his head toward it, "I got a job and I am friends with the people who own the building so my rent is pretty cheap."

"No kidding? You might need to hook me up with a place."   Chaerin gave him a playful wink. "I'll let you go then."

"Kay, I'll see ya Noona." He gave a wave he started up the steps when she called out to him. "Hm?"

“I know that after all this... I have no right to though I would really like to be a part of your life again.” She shuffled in place giving him a small smile. “I miss you Jun Hong.”

"You don't even have to ask, of course you can." He wrapped his arms around her in a warm embrace, "I missed you too."

Rocking back on his heels he grabbed up his skateboard tucking it under one arm and buried his other hand in his pocket. Giving her a nod and a grin he trotted up the steps and disappeared inside the building. Chaerin let out a breath and gazed heavenward before making her way down the street as sun began to set.