Perhaps Start Over?

Tortuous Words: Two-Shot

Haneul gently blew on her hot chocolate in the cafe in an attempt to mask a small sigh.

"I saw that," her friend, Minah narrowed her eyes at the action.

"Excuse me?" Haneul played dumb.

"Don't think I didn't notice you stifling a sigh. It's pretty obvious, you're STILL not over him, huh?"

It's been about a year and three months since the breakup.

As promised, Jonghyun stayed away without any contact except for the occasional attempt of a text here and there to check up on her.

Unfortunately, the last time that happened (four months ago to be exact) the two HAD almost gotten back together.

But Haneul, being careful of her heart told him she needed to take things slow since she was not convinced by any behavior changes.

As a result, Jonghyun had remained the same and within three days had gotten himself a girlfriend before he and Haneul even really reconciled.

This left her, once again, brokenhearted and without purpose; she went back to the 'start' of the healing process of forgetting Kim Jonghyun.

It also didn't help, being that Haneul adores SHINee and her childhood friend Kim Kibum, that she kept seeing Jonghyun's flawless face everywhere.

"I swear," Minah slammed her cup onto the table as she noticed her dazed friend, "if that jerk comes around asking for 'another chance' like last time, I'll kick his sorry to somewhere so far, he'll never be able to reach you again."

"Bit harsh don't you think?" Haneul bluntly replied as her attention was caught onto the television program that was relaying on the flat screen above the two girls' heads; a SHINee special.

"What NO!" Minah puffed her cheeks out, as she always did when she got extremely frustrated, "do you remember all the he put you through? You're so strong, Haneul. I'm suprised you even stayed WITH the jerk for so long."

"It was eight months, it's not like we went out for two years," Haneul sighed and tore her eyes away from the television screen.

"Trust me, girl. If it was me that dated him, which god forbid would have NEVER happened in the first place, I wouldn't have put up with his crap for more than a few weeks!"

"Mm..." came the nonchalant reply.

Suddenly the tinkle of a bell could be heard; an indication someone had either entered, or exited the cafe.

Both girls turned passively to momentarily catch a glimpse as to whom had disturbed their conversation.

"Ayo, Hannie!" A slightly high pitch voice called out to her.

"Bummie?" Haneul's face lit up as she was greeted by a familar face she'd known since she was two.

Somehow, SHINee had decided to drop by a cafe and grab some coffee before running to their next schedule.

Just as fast as Haneul's smiled appeared did it fade away as well.

'Jonghyun...' she swallowed.

It was so much more different seeing him in person than just on television.

At least on television there were no worries for her to try and be brave and to be judged for it.

"Hey, Bummie, I'm sorry. I know you probably want to chat for a bit, but you're busy and I got to run as well," Haneul began to pull on Minah's sleeve, signaling that they should leave.

"Ah, okays, I understand," Key shifted his foxy eyes from her to who stood behind him. "I'll call you later?"

"Neh," Haneul desperately tugged at Minah as her friend had not budged one inch.

"KIM JONGHYUN!" She finally spoke, yelling and pointed her finger rudely at him.

"ME?!?!?" Jonghyun raised an eyebrow, startled by the volume of Minah's voice.

"DON'T YOU ING DARE HURT HANEUL EVER AGAIN! YOU STAY AWAY AND STAY AWAY FOREVER, YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!? I don't know if you already know, but I'm good friends with Tao from EXO and I'll have him ing wushu your far far far away!"

"Okay...cool," Jonghyun brushed off the threat.

"MWOH??!?!? YOU DOUCHE! LISTEN TO ME!" Minah threw up her hands and began to make her way to him.

"Minah, not now!" Haneul pleaded and bowed repeatedly to a now, really pissed off cafe manager and his customers.

"YOU!" Minah stopped lunging for Jonghyun and lashed out at her friend now. "How can you just let him get away with all he's done to you?!?! HUH?!?!?"

Haneul shook her head.

"It's...not worth it. It was so long ago," she whispered.

"FINE!" Minah growled and reversed the situation from earlier, as it was her pulling Haneul out the door now. "We're leaving."

"Haneul," Jonghyun finally spoke and gently caught Haneul by the wrist as her friend was dragging her away.

"MWOH?!?!? GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF HER!" Minah shot daggers.

Although Haneul knew she should probably have demanded him to let her go, she felt something inside her tell her not to.

His touch against her skin was still all too familar and warm.

'Why....you hurt me so much but why do I still love you?' She pondered as she finally dared to look up at Jonghyun and his adorable puppy eyes that she fell for.

Expecting him to say something more, Haneul was disappointed when he didn't and let go only for Minah to yank her friend away from the monster.

The two girls walked in silence afterward, not because they were angry with each other, but there was nothing to be said.

Haneul's phone went off with a soft "DING" indicating that she had receieved a text.

Haneul, my sweet dear...(Do I even have the right to call you that anymore?)

There are some unsaid words I have wanted to tell you, but now is not a good time as SHINee is headed for a recording and your friend is not too much a fan of me I presume.

Will you meet me back at the cafe this evening?

~Jonghyun the dino

Haneul giggled at bit at Jonghyun's default signature.

Hesitantly she shifted her eyes to her friend, who was now preoccupied with doing some window shopping, before texting back.

Alright...I'll hear you out just this once.

But let me make one thing clear; this is the only chance you have to explain yourself.

Don't get any ideas or plot anything.

~Haneul *\>.*

"Minah," Haneul tapped her friend's shoulder, "I have some errands to run for the rest of the day. Do you mind if we split up here? I'll call you to hang out soon alright?"

"Sure thing, I was wanting to do some private shopping anyway," Minah smiled before giving Haneul a hug.

"Stay strong," She whispered before pulling away, "don't let that stinking dino get what he wants right away, neh?"

"Eh? How did you..."

"You obviously didn't see me hovering over your shoulder as you texted back. You were too blinded, silly girl," Minah laughed and gave Haneul's cheek a hard poke.

"I thought you really hated him? What happened to having 'Tao ing wushu his far far far away'?" Haneul quoted.

"Look, if he can prove to you and you only that he's worthy of having another chance, if that's what he's hoping to gain out of this conversation. Then I say go for it. I don't necessarily approve quite yet. But if you're sure he's going to make you happy, then I would be happy for you. That's doesn't excuse the 'wushuing far far far away' part though. If he DARES to it up again, I won't even give him a warning. It's going to happen."

"Thanks Minah," Haneul smiled and the two parted ways.

~Later that night~

Haneul opened the cafe door and quietly slipped inside.

This cafe was, strangely, always open.

But being that it was nighttime, no one was around.

"Haneul?" A man's voice came from behind her, sending shivers down her spine.

"Jonghyun," she greeted back warily.

"Please, sit," he formally pulled out a chair for her and she graciously took it.

"So...."

"......"

The two were caught in an awkward phase, as neither knew how to begin.

"You were the one who requested to talk to me," Haneul finally broke the ice, "so, what's up?"

Jonghyun took a deep breath as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck with a free hand.

"Look, I can't excuse or defend any of the things I did to you before. I've been an immature person. I wasn't a 'man' like I thought I was, but merely a child; a 'boy.' I never really knew what I wanted. I wasn't sure if we were right for each other. I've never felt anything like I had with you with anyone else I tried to be with, but I wasn't quite sure if you were...'the one.' I had, at one point, even convinced myself that you WEREN'T the one and so...I don't know where I'm going with this. What I'm trying to say is..."

Jonghyun got out of his seat and kneeled before Haneul on both knees.

"Yah, Kim Jonghyun...what are," Haneul spluttered, embarrassed by the situation.

"Choi Haneul, I love you. With all my heart. I've hurt you many more times than I deserve to be forgiven for and I would respect your decision if you walked out the door this instant and never returned. But, I wanted to say: you are the love of my life and I can't believe I was so stupid to let you go once. Will you please love me again? This bastard of a dino has been empty ever since we broke up and has been missing something; that something is you. Do you think you could give us another chance?"

"No," Haneul responded and Jonghyun's face fell.

"Ahh, yeah. Sorry. I should have known that would have been your answer," he glumly slumped back into his heels.

"No as in, 'I'm not getting into a relationship again with you right this instant'," Haneul finished her sentence.

"I really appreciate you facing yourself and noticing what you've done. That's very big of you; to admit your mistakes. That right there, is enough for me to give you at least a chance to prove to me you want us to start over," Haneul elaborated.

"I'm not ready for a relationship with anyone though now. I still have some scars that I have to work on myself and heal from. But I wouldn't mind, if you were there next to me. When I'm ready to move on, perhaps, if you still love me, we can give us another shot?"

"I'd wait for you forever. It seems like you've done most of the waiting thus far, so now, I will wait for you," Jonghyun replied, a goofy smile had appeared out of nowhere.

"Corny," Haneul laughed and sat back in her seat.

"You love it," Jonghyun finally got up and sat back down in his own seat.

The two spent many more hours, discussing little things here and there, catching up on life and what had happened in each other's absence.

And very late that night, it was reported that SHINee's Kim Jonghyun was spotted with a girl in a coffee shop, their hands entwined, both with love in their eyes and smiles.

"Jonghyun, what happens if we ever separate?"

"We won't."

"But what if we do? There's no guarantee."

"Perhaps not, but the one guarantee I have, is that I will always love you, Choi Haneul. If we separate, I will find you again and pursue you."

"What if I said no?"

"You know me, the stubborn dino. I won't give up until you say yes!"

"Corny."

"You love it."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

It may seem a bit cliche...okay, no, it IS cliche that there is a happy ending but there's a purpose in it.

The events here in this story are a bit exaggerated and twisted from the truth, but the whole idea was based on a similar relationship I went through myself.

If you've read my fanfic 'But I'm Too Young To Be Married!' then you probably remember I took many 1-2 week hiatuses due to problems arising in a relationship I had been in.

It did result in a break up, but the two of us have worked things out and are now back together and very happy.

SO YAY FOR HAPPY ENDINGS!