The Breakup

Tortuous Words: Two-Shot

Choi Haneul bit her lip, trying to suppress the amount of tears that were forming in her eyes.

Her boyfriend, of only eight months looked back at her with both hurt and sorrow reflected in his gaze.

"Jonghyun..." Haneul managed to choke out before her tears spilled over.

What had happened to the two of them?

He had been so sweet in wooing her and they were so happy in the beginning; what many would call puppy love.

But when had things started to get so bad, as to the two only seemed to be hurting each other.

Haneul blankly stared into space as she recounted the "good times":

"Well, hello. You must be Miss Choi Haneul?"

Haneul's thoughts were interrupted by a man with medium brown hair and kind eyes.

"Eh? Kim Jonghyun?" She asked back in confusion.

Her childhood friend, Kim Kibum had set her up on a blind date with one of his fellow SHINee members.

"It'll be good for you to date!" He had scoffed at her.

"You need someone anyway."

That was how they met...And where they started.

"Thank you for taking me out tonight. Are you sure you won't be bothered by reporters and paprazzi?" Haneul gave a smile as she and Jonghyun parted after their third date.

"Don't worry about me," he reassured her.

Jonghyun surprised Haneul then by taking her hand in his and putting it to his face.

"So warm," he complimented and gave Haneul a puppy smile.

"Before we separate. May I ask you a question?"

"Anything," Haneul could feel her heartbeat speed up.

"Will you be mine?" Jonghyun softly spoke before pressing his lips gently on the back of her hand.

Haneul blushed at the gesture and shyly nodded in response.

"You know I love you."

The words interrupted Haneul's trip down memory lane, but they seemed icy and cold.

"And I love you," she softly replied, almost reluctant to say it back.

"What are you doing?" Haneul smiled and talked into her phone to Jonghyun on the other end.

"Nothing much," came the response.

It sounded a bit empty though.

"Really...nothing?" Haneul asked again.

"Yeah. A bit tired for SHINee activities, talking to you on the phone, and chatting with Sekyung over instant messanger."

'Shin Sekyung? His ex?'

Haneul felt a bit uncomfortable but she dared not to push or pry.

"Look, I gotta go, but I'll call you tomorrow okay?" Jonghyun sounded eager to end the conversation.

"Of course, sleep well. Goodnight. And don't forget, our 3 month anniversary is coming up soon!" Haneul smiled and clicked 'end call.'

An hour later, after failing to fall asleep, Haneul signed on to her instant messanger account.

Jonghyun was still online...

The now-distant couple was silent as they continued their solemn staring contest.

"I think..." Jonghyun began, "we shouldn't stay together."

Haneul allowed herself to release all the tears she had in her at that time.

"You bastard," she breathed between her sobs.

All she did was love him, fully.

And what had he done?

He had stomped on her feelings, discarded her to the side, and cheated.

He'd lied and he had abused her, mentally.

"Jonghyun! I'm back!" Haneul excitedly shouted into the phone as she exited the airport.

"You're back from the United States?" He replied in back with the same enthusiasim as her.

"Neh! I just got in a cab. I'm heading over to your place okay?"

"Sure! See you soon, love."

Haneul took a short nap on the ride to Jonghyun's place.

"Miss, we're here," the cab driver gently shook her awake as soon as they had reached the desired destination.

"Thank you," Haneul paid the driver and headed up the steps towards Jonghyun's apartment.

"Jonghyun!" She smiled brightly as she unlocked the door, only for a woman to be staring back at her on the opposite end.

"Excuse me? Who are you?" The woman blinked in confusion.

"Haneul?" Jonghyun came to the door as well, wrapped in only a towel.

"....What....happened here?" Haneul whispered as her eyes widened.

"No use in hiding it now I guess," Jonghyun sighed and raked his hands through his hair.

"You were gone for too long, Haneul. I'm a male...I needed...."

"DON'T!" Haneul screamed and shoved him back.

"I can't believe it, you cheated on me while I was in the U.S.? I was only there for 3 weeks you !"

Even though Haneul knew the real reason for the proposed break up, she still felt her heartstrings tug at her.

She loved him.

Even despite the times he'd seem more occupied with other women, she'd brushed it aside.

Even though he'd lie to her and sometimes scream at her for things she'd never done, she was always the one to say 'sorry' first.

She was always the one picking up the pieces of a shattering relationship, and piecing them back together to save what was left of them.

She just wanted things to be back to how they originally were.

"Okay," she agreed finally.

"Let's break up. But I want to ask something out of you."

"Anything," Jonghyun half-heartingly replied.

"Don't call me, instant message, or text me. Delete all my contact information that you have. I don't want you to come near me again."

"Haneul," Jonghyun's eyes widened and he stood.

"Don't do that to me. You know I can't live without you. Can't we just be friends?"

"No," Haneul could feel her eyes fill with tears again.

"I don't want....to be around when you get together with someone else. I thought we were going to have a future, Jonghyun. But you crushed those dreams a long time ago."

"I'll still check up on you..." Jonghyun walked towards the door.

"Don't. Just leave me be," Haneul's eyes followed Jonghyun's figure as it opened the door and he slipped outside.

That was it.

The break up.

They were over...

"Haneul?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you love me?"

"Of course I love you, Jonghyun!"

"How much?"

"So so very much."

"I love you too."

"Will we have a future, Jonghyun?"

"I can't imagine a future without you, my love."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

I'm not sure if this is at the level where it would move people to tears, but I'm glad I did my best.

The second part of this two-shot will be posted tomorrow, so if you liked the first chapter, then stick around ^.^

Thank you for dropping by to read :3