Love at First Impact?

Onew Sangtae Caught Me

I really disliked going grocery shopping alone. But because the refrigerator is full of banana milk and other snacks, I needed to go buy real food for the dorm. I tend to always go and buy food. At least the grocery was not too far away here in Seoul. 

"Minho-ah, come with me," I asked. 

“No, hyung. Jonghyun and I are going out to exercise. Just go. You know Taemin won’t because he’s playing his videogames and Key hyung is busy shopping online,” said Minho. 

I didn't really enjoy going out alone, but it was necessary and with being the leader I have to do what's best for my members; which means I have to get food. 

"Ok, I'm heading out. See you guys later," I said. I put on my hat and walked out the door. On the elevator down, I kept thinking what I should get. Definitely getting some chicken and more chicken. As the elevator doors open, I walked out and tripped I was too distracted by the thought of chicken. Chicken, why do you do this to me? Besides getting chicken, some rice, vegetables and fruit would be nice too. 


I walked for about a block on the streets of Seoul to the nearest grocery. I walked by a bookstore and decided to enter and browse for cooking books. Why not, right? I didn't enjoy cooking, but when I'm hungry there's no other option. 

I came across a fun fact book. Omo, I love these things! I open the book to a random page and the title says, "Facts about Love Continued". One read, "A man who kisses his wife in the morning tends to live longer". I laughed. These were obviously not true but I guess that's the fun part about it. No matter how many of these you read, the thought of them being true or not makes you ponder. The human mind loves to fantasize about these kinds of things.  I flipped to the next page and it read "It takes only 8 seconds of eye contact for love at first sight to happen". This amused me. I believed in love at first sight, that the human mind can stimulate the feeling of love with a significant other by a mere sight. But only 8 seconds? I shrugged at the thought and placed the book back on the shelf. In placing the book back, the entire shelf fell! It made a loud bang and booms as all the books collapsed onto the floor. I smiled awkwardly and slowly walked out. "Joesonghabnida," I said and bowed as I left. Me and my stupid sangtae

I kept thinking about love at first sight. Can it really exist? Or does it only exist in books and movies? I tried not to think about it too much and thought more about chicken. 

I arrived at the grocery store. Now i needed chicken, chicken, and...oh, that's right chicken. Before I went inside, something caught my eye. These juicy red apples caught my attention. I noticed there was another girl admiring them. I waited beside her till she finished picking them out. She grabbed a bag and I noticed there was a hole in the bag. Before I could say anything, she placed one apple in and it immediately fell out. I went and reached for it. My head hit her head with such force that she fell backwards. It hurt me as well but I've fallen so many times, I've gotten used to the pain in my head.

I went to her. She was staring up at the sky. I kept talking to her, asking her if she was ok but she didn't respond. People began to gather around us talking, asking what had happened. I really hoped she was okay. I kept asking her but she didn't speak. She was just staring and wouldn't move. She finally raised her hand to me. Spontaneously, I grabbed it and held on to it with both my hands in comfort. She looked at me but she looked confused and startled. Since Korean wasn't working I decided to speak to her in English.

"I'm sorry. It happened so fast, no time to act," I said.

She propped herself on her elbow and I helped her up so she could sit. She looked at me. Her face went from confused to surprised to complete shock. I stared back at her and smiled. Her eyes were a deep brown that consumed me. My heart started beating really fast and I heard bells in my head. I realized that more than 8 second had passed of us just looking at each other. Could this really be happening?