Why So Serious?

Something Needed But Never Given

Nobody. Nobody would bother him here.

 

And despite the fact that there was limited room, Youngbae decided it was better than nothing. After all, to have space to dance at all was a treasure, a prize, a gift worth coveting. And he wanted that space - so he'd come here looking for it. Surely, it would work out.

 

After all, who would bother him the bathroom?

 

Earphones nestled in his ears, loudly playing the beat to one of their new songs, Youngbae began to move. His feet began, and the rest of his body followed, fluidly making blurs of limbs in the mirror.

 

This was how it was supposed to be, he thought happily. He was finally able to practice, to dance, to fix the mistakes he had, to improve what he had so long wanted to improve. The bathroom, although limited in physical space, was his stage now. He had -

 

"Why so serious."

 

Youngbae froze, one hand in the air and the other extended towards his right foot.

 

Why.

 

Jiyong, hair half red, half black, nodded at him, making the hand gesture to "carry on". But how could he?

 

Jiyong stood in front of the sink, washing his hair and horribly blocking the mirror.

 

Youngbae grumbled, but what could he do? Jiyong had to finish dying and washing his hair - he couldn't keep him from that. So he stepped to the side - thank goodness it was a long mirror - and began dancing again, letting the music wrap itself around him, enveloping him, pulling him into a rhythmic world of -

 

"GET YOUR CRAYON."

 

Youngbae stopped and looked at Jiyong, face painted with an expression of uttermost surprise and detest.

 

He had to be kidding.

 

Either Jiyong didn't notice or didn't care, because he continued to sing as he wiped his hair wih a towel. "Boomshakalaka." He sang, trying to imitate Seunghyun's deep voice. Youngbae stared at him.

 

Then the boy whipped out his phone and sat on the sink counter, flipping through images unseen to Youngbae and still singing loudly.

 

Youngbae's head hurt. He leaned his head against one of the walls in the bathroom, watching Jiyong to see if he intended to leave anytime soon. But still, Jiyong didn't move.

 

"Beautiful ohh, hangover! Hangover!"

 

It may as well have been a hangover, for how much Youngbae's head hurt. Was Jiyong really not going to move?

 

It certainly seemed that way.

 

The thought of using the bathroom went down the drain.

 

Youngbae waved a hand goodbye to Jiyong, pulling out his earphones as he turned to leave. Jiyong didn't seem to notice.

 

As he was leaving, he heaved a heavy sigh.

 

"Why so serious?"

 

Why, indeed.