01

Trading Yesterday.

 

His thoughts. Your thoughts.

"We have arranged a wedding for you." his dad said even before he met his eyes and stepped inside the house.

I was never in the place to make decisions for myself; and I was never in the place to live my life in a direction where I wanted it. This life ain't mine. It's theirs.

As darkness then again clouded over me- I decided to stick to my neutrality and shrug.

"Ne, abbeoji." He answered formally and bowed down to welcome him. Without further talks, he nodded and went off to his room.

"Eomonim." He bowed once again as he greeted his mom who was just about to enter. With that she gave him a sly smile before walking over to him and patting his back, "How's everything, son?" She asked full of care and concern.

"Everything's..... fine... eomonim." He answered bluntly not quite able to meet his mother's gaze.

"I guess your father already told you?" She queried. He heaved out a sigh as he nodded. She then gave him a loving pat on the head, "It's for the better, okay? I hope you understand."

It has always been 'for the better'. Always.

"I understand eomonim."

 

----

 

“Sebi-ssi… Is it okay for us to arrange your wedding?” Her dad asked in the middle of a meal.

Caught off guard, she dropped her fork and stopped.

“It’s not like you have a suitor or something, do you?” Her mom said sternly, she just shook her head in response.

“See, I told you, it would be fine even if we don’t ask from her permission.” Her mom scoffed before wiping the corners of .

“But still… It’s her life…” Her father defended her.

“Troublesome life…” She heard her mom mutter under her breath.

“Jagi!” Her father exclaimed at her mom’s careless remark.

It’s because in this life I have caused nothing but trouble; t hen I have to pay back in whatever way I can.
This life ain’t mine. It’s theirs.

As the familiar beeping raised inside me- I decided to stick to my smile and look up at them.

“Abeoji, kwenchana.” I said slowly, they stopped bickering at once as my dad gave me the same pitiful look while my mom burned holes through my head.

“Eomonim, I agree with the marriage.” I looked at her and smiled.

“Good. It’s the least you can do to help this family.” She then again said before standing up and leaving both me and my father in silence.

 

--------

 

“I’ll go ahead, you talk to him.” His father said coldly before going out of the house.

“Before marrying, we are giving you a chance to know about each other and talk about things…” His mom told him while fixing his tie and soothing out his coat.

“Arasso.” He replied.

“Are you sure it’s okay? It’s not too late to call it off.” His mom wearily looked at her pained son, he shook his head and smiled a bit, “Aniyo, chinjja kwenchana…”

Hearing his son’s tender words, she pulled him for a warm hug. Him feeling weak, he swallowed it in and chose to stay blank. “Mianhae. Umma’s really sorry.” She squeezed him tighter trying to take away the pain.

“Kamsahamnida.” He replied.

 

---

 

“Before the marriage takes place tomorrow, we are giving you tonight to meet your groom. Don’t you ever think of running away.” Her mom told her as she fumbled with the hem of her dress.

“I’ll talk to her, you go ahead.” Her father in as she marched off to the car.

“Sebi-ssi, you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to… I can talk to her.” Her father strode to her calmly and fixed her hair tucking a loose strand behind her ear.

She smiled sweetly at her father as she felt tie up, “Aniyo abeoji, chinjja kwenchana.” She said, with that his dad heaved out a sigh and pulled her into a hug. “I’m sorry.” He snuggled his hair. As hot tears prickled her eyes, she pulled away.

“Kamsahamnida.”

 

---

 

“We’ll leave you now, okay? Get along each other well.” Mrs. Kim told both of them as they walked out of the fancy restaurant, she stood up and bowed down at them politely, smiling through everything.

“Please drive her home once you’re done. Okay?” Mr. Shin gave out one last fist pump to his daughter before walking off.

“Please be careful on the way home…” Sebi called out after both couples as they waved off and left…

Then- silence-

Sebi was smiling as Myungsoo was in his pokerface stated.

“Annyeonghasseyo, Shin Sebi imnida.” She introduced herself again for formalities.

“I know, you already said that a while ago.” He snapped before taking a sip of his water.

Her smile faltered but she was strong enough to put it back up.

So he’s this type of person. Okay. Makes it more easier for me.

She’s all smiley and smiley, I hate it. I guess it’s gonna be hard.

“Well, let’s just eat.” She exhaled before digging in.

For the record, that was the only conversation they shared for the whole evening.

 

------------------------------------

 

“I now proclaim you husband and wife.” The preacher said happily while the people around them clapped loudly. It wasn’t really a big crowd; Sebi’s parents, Myungsoo’s parents…. And guess the rest…… Business partners, of course.

She smiled politely as the held hands- rather awkwardly, and bowed together.

--------------

“Now now, Myungsoo-ssi, we already prepared your house!” Mrs. Kim exclaimed joyfully as they exited the building where the law wedding took place. “Ne? Eomonim? House?” He replied shocked, “Of course! As a couple you should share a house! You didn’t actually think that you’d still be staying with us, right?” Mr. Shin laughed loudly before escorting the newly wed to their car.

“All you things are there, there’s no need to worry.”
“But appa.” Suddenly she heard the beeping, she tried her best to calm down as she held his father’s hand tightly.
“Umma.” He said as he gave his mom a look.

Both parents did the same thing.

They smiled apologetically to their kids.

 

-----------

 

“Ahh, that was tiring.” She sighed once she set a foot in their new mansion.

“Really tiring.” Myungsoo also sighed and plopped down the sofa while looking around, “the house ain’t that bad.” He said, she arched her eyebrows at him and looked around too.

Weird, did he just start a conversation?

What did I just do?