i see you

Love Is Four letters And So Is Idiot


It's an ordinary day in Yixing's pretty much ordinary life. The skies are blue, the sun is bright and the birds are chirping happily all around him. But even if the skies are overcast he really can't avoid the chirps, the squawks and twitters because everywhere he looks there's bound to be a bird somewhere. And he loves it.

Yixing is the proud owner of Paradise for almost two years now and he doesn't see himself doing anything different in the near future. Paradise is a small bird shop located along the main street of a friendly neighborhood, flanked by a tiny bookstore and a flower shop. Inside, the walls are white, the cacophony of feathered creatures and the large potted plants painting the place in almost every color imaginable. A large fiberglass window occupies the majority of the shop's front so passersby and potential customers can see the variety of birds from the outside. The wooden framed glass door is always open as Yixing is fond of standing at the entrance and greeting the familiar faces that pass by his shop every day.

The retiree Cho couple will jog past him at 7AM. Mr. Jung, the old dog-walker, will wave a cheery good morning at 8AM while he gets dragged by the energetic canines he's walking. The cute little Lee boys he fondly calls the triplets will shout out a "Good morning, Xingxing-ahjussi!" before they continue on their way to school. He will get all sorts of waves, nods and hellos because no one can resist Yixing's wholesome good looks and the two deep dimples that appear whenever he smiles a greeting.

Lu Han, a working college student, will arrive at 9AM to help feed the birds and prepare the shop for the day. Then half an hour later, a bored looking teen will walk by, give Yixing a small nod and will sneak a peek through the glass window before going on his way. Yixing has seen the boy walk past his shop almost every day but the sandy-blonde male never did show interest until four months ago when he hired Lu Han as an assistant. He wonders when the boy will finally have the balls to say hi. He sighs, young love.

But the moment he awaits the most is at about six in the evening, just before his shop closes. A slightly built, dark-haired guy in a suit will walk past him with nary a hello nor a nod of greeting and Yixing's eyes will follow him as he disappears down the street. Then Yixing will face palm and will swear that tomorrow he'll finally have the balls to say hi (which really never happens). He sighs again, not-so-young love.

The guy appeared almost at the same time as Lu Han's admirer, about a year now. Yixing doesn't even know his name but there is something about the guy that draws him in. It's not just the flawless complexion, the cute chin nor the chiseled cheekbones although he finds him really beautiful. It's more of the way he walks with confident strides and the way he... totally ignores the shop owner. It's as if the man doesn't have a second to spare for even a small glance which keeps Yixing more than a little intrigued. So yes, he stands there every day, waiting for those brown eyes to look his way.

He never expects he'll get his wish today. Sort of.

"Sorry for being late," the tall delivery guy in a green jumper says. "We had an engine problem a few miles back."

"That's okay. Although I hope the birds didn't get affected by the delay." Yixing answers as he takes the last of the bird cages from the guy. "They look kind of agitated." He observes the plump robin he's holding while the bird sings his little birdie heart out.

"That's probably because of being locked up in the truck for longer than expected."

"At least this one looks well-fed." Yixing nods. "Tell Baek I'll drop by the farm sometime soon."

"Okey dokes!" The guy leaves with a hearty wave.

"That's one creepy looking delivery guy," Lu Han says from the doorway.

Yixing laughs. "I thought you'd be used to Chanyeol by now. We better hurry up with arranging these new ones so we can close the shop soon."

He has to pay Lu Han for overtime today but he doesn't mind. The blonde boy, although impertinent at times, is an efficient assistant and it will be a shame when he graduates early next year and leave the shop to pursue a career in teaching.

He's following Lu Han inside when the latch of the cage he's holding suddenly gives and the robin flies out. "No!"

Good thing the robin is heavy enough so it can't carry itself too high. He lets go of the cage and runs after the bird with his arms stretched high above his head. "Here, birdie!"

He takes several hurried steps, his eyes focused on the runaway bird, and then Yixing suddenly falls forward as he collides hard with a warm body. He instinctively cups his hand behind the head of the person to break the other’s fall. He winces as they hit the pavement, knowing too well that the person under him is carrying his weight. He opens his eyes only to have his jaw drop in surprise when he finds out who he has crashed into. It's the guy. The guy he wants to say hello to, to get to know and probably go out with. But he thinks the chance of that happening is turning slim when he sees him with a pained expression.

"I'm sorry!" Yixing blurts out and scrambles to his feet to help the other up. He holds out his hand and the guy's smaller one accepts it. Somewhere at the back of his mind, he thinks that the guy has a really soft hand but he shakes the thought off since there are more important matters to take care of like apologizing, introducing himself, getting the guy's name and catching... ", the bird!"

"What?" the guy asks.

Yixing surveys the area, hoping the bird has not gone too far. "I'm sorry. A robin got away and I was chasing after it," he says as his eyes dart here and there trying to locate the wayward bird.

"Oh, does it have brown and gray feathers?"

"Yes," he answers distractedly.

"And, um, round?"

"Yes, why?"

"Oh, because I see one behind you?" Yixing immediately turns and there it is, the plump robin perching on top of a water hydrant just a few meters away from them. He runs towards it but slows down a few feet away so as not to startle the bird. He bends down and reaches out carefully, making as little noise as possible. Just a bit more, he thinks as his hands hover around the singing bird.

He was about to close his hands over it when the robin flies away again. Great.

He hears an oh behind him and he turns to see the feathered creature fly over the other guy's head. The guy reaches up and almost catches it but the wily bird flies just a little out of reach. With a burst of speed, Yixing runs and jumps just in time for his hands to close around the robin.

Finally.

"Here, boss," Lu Han comes closer, carrying the empty cage and handing it to Yixing. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to help, I was too busy laughing."

"Lu Han."

Yixing returns the bird inside the cage and locks it with a loud click. Remembering he had yet to thank his unexpected savior, he turns around only to find the guy already walking away. "Oh, wait!"

The man pauses and looks back.

"T-thank you and, uh, I'm, uh, so sorry." Congrats on the newly acquired speech deficiency, Yixing.

The guy smiles. "It's okay."

Goo. Just like that his insides turn to goo. His mouth opens but no words come out. With a small nod, the man continues on his way down the street.

"Real smooth, boss." With a chuckle, Lu Han goes inside the shop, leaving Yixing still dazed.

The guy looked and even smiled at him. He still doesn't know his name but Yixing thinks he's in love.

Well, not exactly but really close enough.





Junmyeon plops down on the sofa--rumpled suit, briefcase and exhausted droopy eyes--and groans when his back hit the cushions. He leans his head on the backrest and closes his eyes completely. He never wants to get up from there anymore. Screw the suit. He's so tired; he can't even push the briefcase from his lap.

Adding to his woes is the bruise he feels forming on his lower back. This was a really great day, he thinks with a sigh. The thing is, minus the bruise, his days are always as ‘great’ as today. He's always exhausted and stressed. Junmyeon thinks that he'll probably die before his next birthday which is a measly eight months away. Yippee.

He didn't expect everything to turn out like this when he entered the accounting firm he's working for. He was a twenty-one year old fresh graduate full of youthful enthusiasm for his job. Two years and an exceptional performance later, he was promoted to a higher position which drove him to work harder.

And harder. Now at only twenty-five, he's already up for a senior position in the firm which Junmyeon totally deserves after the long hours he's been keeping and the workload he even takes home. He knows working too much is unhealthy but he's been doing it for so long now that the concept of relaxation and rest is pretty much foreign to him.

"They could hear you groan all the way to Antarctica," Sehun says before he drops down beside Junmyeon, earning another groan from the elder.

"Thanks a lot." Junmyeon winces and looks at his younger cousin. "Weren't you blonde this morning?"

"Military service takes 21 months. Silver is cool."

After a year of living with Sehun, Junmyeon certainly knows trying to understand how his brain works is a futile endeavor so he leaves the topic of Sehun's new hair color at that. "Okay."

"Mom called earlier and asked me if I wanted to transfer to an in-campus dorm. She said she doesn't want to impose on you." Sehun looks at him, face as blank as ever.

"You're not imposing. Besides I really don't want to live alone here. But do you want to move out?"

"I told her I help with the chores and I love staying here. And walking to school is fun," Sehun says.

"Okay, then." Junmyeon reluctantly straightens from his position. "You can stay here for as long as you like."

Sehun smiles one of his rare smiles at him. "Junmyeon is eight letters and so is awesome."

"Awesome only has seven letters," Junmyeon says, his mood lifting a bit at his cousin's randomness.

"Close enough." Sehun shrugs and stands up. "Come on, old man. I'm starving."

Junmyeon rolls his eyes at the boy and loosens his tie. "You go, I'll just change first."

Sehun salutes before walking away. Junmyeon heaves himself up and the bruise makes it presence known once again. Tomorrow, he'll probably wake up sore. If it's any consolation, seeing the guy run after the bird earlier is kind of funny. He remembers the way the man jumped and how big his smile was as he finally caught the bird. He thinks the guy's deep dimples is kind of cute, too. He shakes his head. No time for that, Junmyeon.





Lu Han rubs his hand against his nape to ease the stiffness from poring over his assignments all night. Night classes are a headache but thank god he'll finish his studies soon. Thank god for Yixing, too, who gave him this job so he could afford the added expenses for this semester. Being his assistant is quite easy since his boss does most of the job anyway.

Business is unusually slow that Tuesday afternoon. Yixing is out on delivery. Lu Han believes majority of the reason the bird shop does so well is because of Yixing himself. Whenever he's around there is bound to be a customer (admirer, ahem) or two loitering about. Lu Han really can't fault them. The shop owner is boyishly charming even at twenty-five.

Lu Han finishes with checking up and feeding all the birds. He stops in front of the myna bird's cage and, with nothing else to do, tries to teach the talking bird his name. "Birdie, say my name. Lu Han."

"Come on, come on, wernk!" the bird says.

"That's... good. Now, say Lu Han. You can do it, birdie," Luhan coos.

The myna tilts its white head. "Get your cray on, wernk."

Impressive. "Uh, that's great birdie but say Lu Han."

"Lu Han?"

The assistant's eyes widen at how clear the bird's voice became. "Yes! Perfect! Now, say it again," Lu Han claps excitedly. Teaching birds isn't so hard. He leans his face closer to the cage. "Lu Han."

"Lu Han."

"Very good, birdie!" He didn't realize birds can also speak without opening their beaks.

He almost jumps a mile though, when he feels a tap on his shoulder. "Excuse me?"

He twirls around quickly, his hand over his heart, to find a silver-haired boy looking questioningly at him. "Lu Han?"

The shop assistant wants to laugh and cry in embarrassment. "Oh, it was you. Yes, I am. Lu Han." He peers closer at the boy's face. "You look familiar."

Smooth, Lu Han. Real smooth.

The boy looks a little surprised. Oh, right. He always sees him pass by the shop but this is the first time the boy actually went inside.

"Uh, I'm Oh Sehun. I just live a few blocks away and I walk to university so." The boy smiles a bit awkwardly and Lu Han thinks he's adorable. Oh.

"But you used to be blonde." Good job. Lu Han feels an urge to crawl under a rock and maybe never come out.

"Uh, yes."

"Silver looks, um, cool."

"Thanks."

There's an awkward silence as Lu Han thinks of what to say next. If this was a date, they'd be doomed. Why is he even thinking about that? Lu Han you are here for a reason. Your job, remember your job. "Oh, sorry, what can I do for you?"

The pale-skinned teen blushes deeper. Curious. Seriously, he should stop ogling the boy.

"Um, yes. I... I'm looking for... a bird?"

"Of course!" Lu Han claps his hands. "We have, um, lots of birds because this is a bird shop."

The urge to crawl under a rock resurfaces. He is never good with sales talk but he doesn't know why he feels more tongue-tied than usual.

"I noticed." Sehun looks like he wanted to laugh at him and, surprisingly, that made Lu Han relax.

"Yeah. So, um, are you looking for any bird in particular?"

"I was planning on looking first."

"Okay, no problem." Lu Han shows Sehun around, their conversation thankfully flowing easier as time passes.

"Maybe you can tell me what you want in your bird, so I can help you choose what to get," Lu Han says after they’ve looked over all the feathered creatures available in the shop.

"Actually, it won't be for me. My cousin told me he wants to buy one as a pet."

"Oh. It will be better though if he comes here himself so we can help him choose."

"Yes. We plan on coming here together on Friday after his work hours. He's just so busy so he asked me to look over the choices first." Sehun flashes him a smile and it takes awhile for Lu Han to recover. This is bad.

"Um, okay. Um, yeah."

"It's a bit late so I have to go. But I'll see you, Friday?" The boy looks kind of hopeful.

Lu Han can't wait for Friday to come. "Yeah, okay."

The boy walks away but pauses and turns back. "Lu Han, two words for you: See you later!"

Sehun waves and quickly disappears through the door. Lu Han's lips split into a wide grin. That's three words but who cares?

"Swag, wernk!"





"You need a pet."

Junmyeon sighs and looks up from the paper he's working on. "For the hundredth time, Sehun. I don't need a pet."

"I read that birds make the best pets," the younger boy continues as if he hasn’t spoken. Sehun pulls a chair and sits across the dining table from him.

"I'm busy. Have you done your homework?" he asks, hoping to get Sehun away from him. His cousin has been bugging him to get a pet since he came home last Tuesday. He's tired and has to finish the report for tomorrow afternoon's meeting. He doesn't need Sehun distracting him with useless stuff.

"Yep, all done. They say birds are low maintenance."

Junmyeon closes his laptop and promptly drops his head on top of it. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"Just imagine yourself waking up to the melodious tweeting of birds."

"That sounds horrible, honestly." Junmyeon straightens. "Sehun, I'm already stressed enough as it is."

"Exactly! You're stressed so you need to buy a bird."

Junmyeon knows he'll regret asking but this time he needs to somehow understand the connection between pet birds and stress because his cousin has never been persistent like this before. "Okay, five minutes to explain why."

Sehun leans over the table eagerly. "I'm worried about you, old man. I mean, your bones are more crotchety than grandma's old rocking chair. And you always come home tired. The lady who lives across the street even looks evil. And I've read that birds can really help relieve stress."

He doesn't get how the lady across the street factors into the discussion but Junmyeon thinks Sehun has a point. He can feel his resolve wavering and he doesn't even know how his cousin was able to do it.

"As I said, birds are cheap and low maintenance. You won't even have to do one bit. I can take care of everything and all you have to do is enjoy the benefits." Sehun gives him a confident nod.

"Fine. Okay. I'll give you the money tomorrow morning and--"

"No, no. You have to come with me to the bird shop tomorrow."

"But you said you'll take care of everything."

"Uh, it's gonna be your bird. So you have to choose which one. The future hangs in the balance here. I don't want to end up like an amoeba."

Junmyeon feels a headache coming. "Okay. Okay. Please go away now."

Sehun beams at him and gives him a thumbs up. "Don't forget. I'll pick you up at the station so we can go together. You won't regret it. Junmyeon is eight letters--"

"Oh. Se. Hun."

The boy raises his palms up placatingly. "And so is amazing!" Sehun says before quickly running upstairs.

"That's only seven letters," Junmyeon mutters as he opens his laptop again. Okay, Junmyeon, back to work.





"Hey, Lu Han. Who's Sehun?" Yixing asks his assistant as he was checking the sales for the day. He's surprised to see the younger boy's face turn red as the cardinal he's feeding.

"Um, he's a customer."

"I don't think I know him."

"He, um, actually came here last Tuesday. And you know him. He's the boy who passes by the shop in the morning. Blonde, I mean its silver now but, um, tall, cute." Lu Han's face turns a shade redder. His assistant clears his throat. "Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. It's just his name seems to be the only thing the myna bird can say now."

As if on cue, the said bird talks. "Cute Sehun, wernk."

"Oh, I wouldn't know anything about that."

"Are you sure? Because--"

"Of course," Lu Han says before turning his back on Yixing. "Uh, I'll go check the front."

He hastily walks away and Yixing laughs quietly. He's never seen his assistant this flustered before.

So the blank-faced boy finally grew his balls.

His smile dims. Zhang Yixing, when will you grow yours he asks himself dejectedly. Really, how tough can it be to say hello instead of smiling like an idiot when the guy walks by? He can do it with the others easily enough. He knows almost everybody in the neighborhood.

Except him.

Yixing glances at the cuckoo clock on the wall. It's nearing six. Who knows? Maybe he'll get to say hi today.

He hears Lu Han talking excitedly and Yixing peeks from behind the wall of bird cages separating the counter from the shop front. He sees him leading Cute Sehun inside. Yixing walks out, about to greet the boy (and maybe fluster Lu Han some more) when the door chimes tinkle and he thinks he may very well suffer from palpitations when the object of his hopeless affections enters his shop.

He's here.

Inside his shop.

Yes.

Run! 

No, don't.

Say hi.

Oh, but breathe first.

There's suddenly an arm going around his shoulders and Yixing looks at Lu Han whose smile spells pay back in big glowing colors. "Hey, boss. This here's Oh Sehun and his cousin."

He feels himself being shoved unceremoniously towards the cousin who holds out his hands to him.

"Hi, I'm Kim Junmyeon. We kind of met the other day."

Take the hand, Yixing. And for pete's sake, breathe. "Uh, yes. Yes, we did. Nice to meet you, Mr. Kim. I'm Zhang Yixing, owner of Paradise. And please, just call me Yixing."

Good job, you finally know his name.

"Nice to meet you, Yixing. Just please call me Junmyeon, too. Sehun says I need a bird and I don't understand the youth of today but here we are." Junmyeon laughs a little awkwardly.

You're the most adorable thing I've ever seen. "Yes, the youth."

Junmyeon laughs a bit more and Yixing's brain literally blanks out. Yixing's sure he's the one Junmyeon is laughing at and somewhere there he realizes he looks like an idiot but how does one react to something as beautiful as that laugh?

"Boss, this is the part where we offer our assistance." Lu Han nudges at his side.

"Oh, yes. Of course." He shakes his head a little to clear it. "Lu Han, maybe you can show Sehun the talking birds, especially the myna one and I'll show Junmyeon the rest."

Lu Han chokes but obediently guides Sehun to the other part of the shop.

"I'm sorry it's kind of late and I think you're about to close. I just came from work but Sehun insists we have to go today."

"Oh, it's no problem. Really. So, uh, do you already have a bird in mind?" Yixing smiles his best smile so Junmyeon won’t notice how nervous he actually is.

"I really have no idea what I should buy. Probably something not too expensive and easy to take care of?"

"Almost every bird here is easy to take care of. We just have to find out what suits you the best. What do you do?" Yixing tries hard not sound too eager to know more about Junmyeon.

"I work for an accounting firm."

"That's uh--"

"Not too exciting and a whole lot of stressful," Junmyeon chuckles. "So I guess I need one of those chirpy birds that can relieve stress but aren't too loud so I can still do work at home."

Yixing mentally goes through the catalogue of birds he has. He can't give him any of the talking birds because they'll be too loud. He can give him a cardinal or a robin but they'll probably be too chirpy and hyper. A dove or a pigeon, on the other hand, will be too bland. Junmyeon needs something more special.

His gaze travels across the bird cages and catches on the two boys huddled close together, making googly eyes at each other in front of the myna bird.

Yixing smiles. He has exactly what Junmyeon needs.

"I know of the perfect pet for you," he says excitedly.

"Can I see it?"

"Unfortunately, I don't have it in the shop right now."

"Oh, okay. Maybe I'll just return another time, then? It may take a while though because I'm going to be busy next week and then I have an out of town conference the week after." Junmyeon bites his lower lip and Yixing can feel his heart beat all sorts of crazy.

"I, uh, don't worry! I mean, I can just deliver it to your house tomorrow and if you like it then I'll help you set it up and then I'll give you pointers and then we'll, uh, we'll--"

"We'll all breathe!" Lu Han gives him a strong pat against his back.

Yixing's torn between giving Lu Han a raise and firing him out. How did he get beside him so fast anyway? He returns his gaze on Junmyeon who is currently looking at them expectantly.

"Okay, then. Here's my card," Junmyeon hands Yixing the plain white calling card with his details. Breathe.

"Yes, okay. I'll call on you tomorrow. I mean, deliver, I'll deliver the bird tomorrow."

Their handshake is almost anti-climactic after the excitement of the fifteen minutes that Junmyeon and Sehun spent in the shop.

Sehun turns to Lu Han before following his cousin out. "Four words for you: See you soon!"

Lu Han preens and blushes while he waves goodbye to the younger boy. Yixing doesn't notice, though. They are left there grinning stupidly; both too dazed to mind that see you soon has three words.





Junmyeon can't help but smile as he watches the two lovebirds nuzzle each other on top of their perch at the corner of his living room. Their lime green feathers and peach-hued faces blend nicely with the room's cream walls and wooden furnishings.

He finds his eyes drawn to them when his take home work gets too tiring or when he just wants to relax. It's been a lovely four days since Yixing arrived on his doorstep carrying a bag of supplies and not one, but two birds. Junmyeon can say he was instantly charmed. Of the birds, he reminds himself. It's the birds who charmed him and not Yixing's warm smile nor the shop owner's perfectly handsome face.

Junmyeon remembers how the guy patiently gave him pointers and tips on how to take care of his new pets. There were curious pauses where Yixing looked at him blankly as if trapped in his own world but Junmyeon didn’t mind, not at all. Not when he himself wanted to get lost in his own little world, preferably with Yixing.

Stick to the charming birds, Junmyeon.

Okay, yes. Back to the birds. These lovebirds are a couple, Yixing tells him. He says that lovebirds are like that. They only survive if they are with their partners. They are protective and caring. Sometimes they're possessive, too, but they make up for it through being loving to their pair. Junmyeon loves going down to breakfast and hearing their soft cooing voices and gentle chirps.

There are times, like now, when Junmyeon feels a little envious of the little feathered creatures. Sometimes, he wants to have someone he can nuzzle with, too. Someone who will hold him when the nights get cold and someone who'll greet him with a good morning kiss. But he's so busy these days, there's never time to find that someone. Always never enough time.

He promises himself that once he gets the promotion in a month, he'll file for a short leave. Maybe then he'll have the much needed time off for himself.

"Hey, old man. I'm off to buy food for Tweety and Sylvester. Do you want me to get you anything on the way?" Sehun sits on the sofa's backrest.

"Who's Tweety and Sylvester?"

"Those two." Sehun points at the lovebirds.

"Tweety? And Sylvester? How did you ever come up with those names?"

Sehun shrugs. "Look at them."

Junmyeon looks. And looks some more. The birds are neither yellow nor black. They aren't noisy nor do they chase each other and fight. Junmyeon looks confusedly at his cousin. "I don't get it."

The younger boy laughs. "Love is four letters and so is idiot."

Junmyeon gives up. "I don't even know what to say."

"Later, gramps." Sehun waves and walks out the door.

Junmyeon thinks he should get Sehun a dictionary for Christmas.





Yixing hands over the bag of bird food to Sehun whose eyes seem to be glued to his assistant whose eyes seem to also be glued to the silver-haired boy. Too much sticky glue to be honest.

"How are the birds?" he asks. How's Junmyeon? 

Sehun finally looks at him. "They're fine. My cousin's also fine. The neighbor just fixed their drainpipes."

Yixing nods. He doesn't understand about the drainpipes but Junmyeon's fine so, "That's good to hear."

"Yeah. I want to thank you, actually. The birds really help my cousin relax. He has been through a lot of stress lately. Junmyeon-hyung's aiming for a higher position by next month so he's been working doubly hard and even taking home extra work. He doesn't need it but, you know, old people." Sehun rolls his eyes.

"I'm glad I helped." Though Yixing is kind of worried about Junmyeon. No one should sacrifice his health for his job.

"Also, since I promised hyung that I would take care of the birds, I searched online and I found out that those type of lovebirds are sort of rare in these parts and I wanted to ask--"

"What type of lovebirds?" Lu Han walks over to them and exchanges more gluey looks with Sehun.

"Peach-faced lovebirds."

"Peach-faced lovebirds? Peach-faced. Boss, aren't your own--?"

"We're going to the bird farm this weekend!" Yixing interrupts Lu Han's question.

"I already know that," Lu Han says. "Now those lovebirds--"

"It's going to be fun!" Yixing interrupts again.

"Well, yeah. I've been there before, boss. So as I was saying those love--"

"Let's invite Junmyeon and Sehun this time." He breathes in relief as he sees Lu Han eyes go round and he gets distracted.

"Oh, that's great. Come with us, Sehunnie!" Lu Han beams at the younger.

Since when did Sehunnie happen? So Kim Junmyeon... Can I call him Junmyeonnie? Zhang Yixing, control yourself.

"Yes. Please invite your cousin, too. It's a great place to relax and enjoy."

Sehun smiles down at Lu Han. "So it's like a date?"

"If you want it to be," his assistant answers shyly.

Somewhere along the gluey looks and his bid for distractions, the four of them (including the absent Junmyeon) somehow end up in a double date this coming Saturday at his friend's bird farm.

And he has to ask, since when is Lu Han shy?

Sehun departs with his signature I have n words for you but Yixing barely notices as Lu Han faces him with a knowing smirk. "So boss, those lovebirds--"

The youth these days, Yixing thinks with a groan.





Junmyeon still can't believe he's inside a bird farm instead of at home finishing an important accounting report due on Monday. He blames it on Sehun. The kid isn't really good with words. It's just that his are so confusing that all you can do is nod at whatever he's saying and hope for the best.

"This place is amazing, right?" Yixing asks from beside him.

Maybe he hopes enough because Yixing bathed by the sunlight with a backdrop of trees is certainly the best.

He nods and Yixing flashes him a bedimpled smile. Knees, don't give out on me please.

They walk along rows of huge net-covered domes. Yixing explains that each dome houses a specific type of bird. He invites Junmyeon to enter one occupied by pretty blue-feathered birds. Junmyeon looks up in awe at the animals flying freely above him and round the huge tree in the middle of the dome.

"This aviary has been around for as long as I could remember. The owner's a family friend. I spent most of my childhood running around here and I grew up surrounded by these birds. They've always fascinated me. The pattern and the color of their feathers, their homing instincts and of course their ability to fly."

It's nice hearing Yixing speak about something he loves. His eyes light up in the most amazing of ways, his expressions more animated than usual.

"Oh, have you always dreamed of becoming a bird shop owner?"

Yixing laughs and Junmyeon looks down briefly at his knees. No, my dears. Don't.

"Actually, no." Yixing raises a hand up, index finger outstretched, and a small bluebird perches itself on top of it. "I took up Mechanical Engineering and practiced it for two years but I realized it wasn't for me so I resigned and started my own business."

"That's cool." Junmyeon flushes at the thought that he sounds like a teenager. He thinks he's suffering from acute incoherence whenever he is with Yixing.

The dimples peek out again. Yixing leans closer to him and teasingly presents the bird as if it was a gift. "You know what's cooler?"

Junmyeon holds out his hand and the bird jumps into his palm. He gently runs his finger down its silky back, grinning when the bird doesn’t fly away. He looks up at Yixing. To share a small moment like this with him is wonderful. "What is?"

"So beautiful," the shop owner murmurs.

His mouth opens a little in surprise and his breath catches when he realizes how close their faces are. He is caught up in Yixing's eyes and he can't look away. The other guy doesn't look away, either. He feels his heart beating a hundred miles a minute. Honestly, Junmyeon doesn't know what to do. He's never felt like this. It's like he's free falling. Or flying.

The moment's broken though when the bluebird flies away, startling the both of them and making them take a step back from each other. Yixing rubs his hand against his nape in what Junmyeon will soon learn is a nervous habit. Junmyeon clears his throat and starts to speak to fill the awkward silence. "Yes, you were saying?"

Yixing gives him a puzzled glance before a slight flush covers his cheeks, making him look like an adorable boy. Junmyeon relaxes, relieved that he isn't the only one feeling unsure and shy.

"Yes, uh. I was going to tell you how much cooler birds are." Yixing visibly relaxes, too, since they're back to the topic he's most comfortable with. "Did you know that a bird can be used to symbolize different things?"

Yixing points at a bluebird flying close over their heads. "A bluebird is actually the symbol for spiritual joy and contentedness. It has also been thought that with bluebirds comes the arrival of spring."

"That is cool," Junmyeon says with a nod.

"Come on." Yixing motions for them to go out the dome. They walk together once again along the outside fence and the shop owner continues with his impromptu lecture.

"Now, see those blue-backed birds with yellow chest feathers? They're kingfishers. They have always represented beauty and serenity. On the dome next to them are the hummingbirds. Do you hear them?"

"Yes. They sound really sweet."

Yixing pauses and beams at him. "Yes, they sing pretty. Not only that. Hummingbirds mean devotion. They're actually a popular gift for newlyweds."

They walk through a number of dome cages with Junmyeon learning that canaries mean happiness while sparrows symbolize companionship. He learns that a nightingale's song speaks of love and of longing. He slides a glance to the man beside him and Junmyeon thinks he can relate a bit. Just a teeny, tiny bit.

"What do you think so far?"

"Amazing, really." You're amazing.

"By the end of our trip, you wouldn't want to leave."

"I would want to leave because I still have my house and my job," he replies and Junmyeon sees Yixing's disappointed expression. "But I would want to return, again and again."

Yixing's eyes light up once more.

I'd return again and again if it's with you, he thinks and he can feel his smile drop because this is too fast. This is just a lazy afternoon in an aviary but why does he feel that it's more than that?

"Is there something wrong?"

Yes, he wants to answer. Yes, because I'm Kim Junmyeon and I really have no time for this but here I am wishing there is.

"Nothing," he answers. Yixing nods but he can see he isn't entirely convinced.





They are near a set of smaller domes and Yixing tells him it’s for the rarer birds. Junmyeon peeks into the trees inside, catching sight of exotic looking breeds. He is about to ask the name of a red-colored one when a guy, not much taller than him, appears beside them. He is in a green uniform with Byun Bird Farm embroidered on his chest pocket. The guy's eyes are kind and there's a wide welcoming smile on his lips.

"Baekhyun!" Yixing greets the newcomer before turning to Junmyeon. "Junmyeon, this is Byun Baekhyun, my childhood friend and son of the owner of this farm. Baek, this is Kim Junmyeon, my friend."

Junmyeon accepts Baekhyun's handshake with a smile of his own, feeling warm inside when he hears Yixing call him his friend instead of just his customer. "Nice to meet you!"

"It's nice to meet you, too. You're Oh Sehun's cousin, right? I already met him when he was walking down the food prep area with Lu Han and Chanyeol."

"Yes, he's my cousin."

"I'm sorry I would have welcomed you sooner but I was quite busy earlier and Yixing didn't tell me they were going to bring dates, who would even bring their dates on a bird farm? Even if the setting is quite romantic with all the pretty birds and the trees and--" Baekhyun goes on and on.

Yixing gives Junmyeon an apologetic look to which he just smiles. He is still caught up with Yixing not denying that this is a date. Junmyeon knows Sehun and Lu Han treat this as one but he is just here to chaperone. Not now, Knees, please.

"--need repairs on some parts, too. Gosh, Yixing, why didn't you stop me? I'll bore Junmyeon-ssi to death with my prattle and I almost forgot. Dad asks for a quick word with you, something about new breeds. Don't worry about Jummyeon-ssi, I'll look after him while you're away." Baekhyun waves Yixing off.

"You never change, Baekhyun." Yixing shakes his head at his friend. "Junmyeon, can I leave you here for a quick second?"

"Sure. Take your time." He watches as Yixing disappears down the path. He turns to see Baekhyun smiling prettily at him.

"How long have you two been going out?" Baekhyun asks as he starts walking at the opposite direction.

Junmyeon follows him. "Oh, no. We're not going out. Yixing just invited me because... um, I am his customer?" he finishes lamely.

Baekhyun looks curiously at him but doesn't say anything. The guy points to a dome where the the cardinals are. "Pretty aren't they?"

"Yes. Yixing told me that these birds are the rare ones."

"We have about ten smaller cages for rare birds. Starting from here to there." Baekhyun stops in front of a seemingly empty dome. "This is one of the rarest we have. We hoped to breed more but we only got twelve of them hatched last year."

Junmyeon squints, wanting to see the said birds.

"We only have two pairs left here, three pairs were already sold and one pair was given to Yixing since he was the one who helped in breeding them. They're really so rare that they sell for $350."

He looks closer and somewhere in the middle branches of a tree he sees four light green feathered birds with peach colored faces. Wait, they look exactly like his lovebirds. "$350?"

He got Tweety and Sylvester for only $25 and they already came with the perch and three days' supply of feeds.

"Yup. But you always have to sell lovebirds in pairs or they'll get terribly lonely so in truth you have to shell out $700," Baekhyun explains, oblivious to Junmyeon's shocked expression. "Yixing keeps his pair as pets even though they can sell for more since they are already domesticated."

Baekhyun invites him to walk further, stopping from time to time to point out to a group of birds rarer and more expensive than the last but Junmyeon's only half-listening as he continues to puzzle over the case of his lovebirds.

Yixing can't have given him his own pair, right? Junmyeon practically got the birds for free. If they are Yixing's, then why? Why did Yixing give them to him?

"Oh, there's the slowpoke," Baekhyun says as he sees Yixing over Junmyeon's shoulder. "It was great talking with you, Junmyeon-ssi. Please bear with Yixing, he's really slow most of the time but he always means well."

He has no time to reply, curious as he is about what Baekhyun meant, because Yixing is coming closer and Junmyeon still hasn't figured out how he should feel after knowing about the lovebirds.

"I'm back to rescue you from Baekhyun now." Yixing playfully punches Baekhyun's shoulder before grinning back at Junmyeon

He can feel his stomach flutter. Yes, but who will save me from you? 

To Junmyeon's relief, Sehun and Lu Han join them not long after Baekhyun leaves. He can't help but notice how happy Sehun looks with Lu Han and he also doesn't miss how the two are holding hands while they're walking a few feet ahead. He steals a glance at Yixing's pale hand between them and wonders briefly how it will feel entwined with his.

It's the first time he feels something like this. He is a bit guilty because he knows he doesn't have the time for any kind of relationship. But when the right moment comes, he's pretty sure he knows who he wants to have it with.





The drive back to Junmyeon's townhouse is mostly uneventful, which is totally fine after the excitement of the day. They stop at a small pizza place for dinner at the insistence of Sehun who complains that Junmyeon never lets anything greasy inside the house and that his young body needs it to function properly. They all laugh except for Junmyeon who insists that they atleast have to order the vegetarian one, as if that contains less cholesterol.

They drop Lu Han off at his dorm. Yixing and Junmyeon wait in the car as Sehun walks Lu Han to his door. Junmyeon thinks Sehun is taking too long so he peeks outside the passenger seat only to pull back when he sees his cousin lean down to kiss Lu Han goodnight. He can feel his face warm up. He knows he's too old to react this way but he's just coming to terms to the fact that indeed his little cousin isn't so little anymore.

That and he feels a little embarrassed because he can't deny wanting to do the same to a certain person who is now peering curiously at him.

"What is it?" Yixing asks.

He is spared from answering when Sehun jumps into the backseat with the widest smile Junmyeon has seen on his cousin's face. This gets Junmyeon wishing that everything is as easy for him.

"Thank you, Yixing-ssi. We really had a great day," Junmyeon says. He is standing in the doorway with Yixing. He can hear Sehun's footsteps as the teen runs upstairs.

"I had a great time, too. It was nice spending it with you, uh, I mean with the both of you." Yixing rubs his nape again.

There's a comfortable silence while they smile at each other. The light evening breeze ruffles Yixing's dark wavy hair which makes him more impossibly handsome. Junmyeon is aware they can't stand there for longer even if he wants to so he holds out his hand for a handshake. "Goodnight."

Yixing accepts it and it feels warm where they touch. Junmyeon finds himself blurting out, "Let's have dinner next weekend?"

Yixing looks startled and Junmyeon opens his lips again to say something, to maybe laugh the invitation off, but he realizes he really wants to have that dinner even if he just told himself earlier that he doesn't have the time. So he waits and there is a second of panic when it takes Yixing quite a few moments to answer. But it's a yes so Junmyeon breathes a sigh of relief and that's when he notices their hands are still linked.

He takes a step back, letting go of Yixing's hand, and he's about to say goodnight again when he feels soft lips brush against his cheek. He hears a mumbled goodnight and then Yixing's gone. Junmyeon enters the house and leans on the door, quite unsure of what happened. He touches the spot where Yixing kissed him and he looks down.

Okay, knees, you can give out now.





"So boss, how's your Junmyeonnie?"

Yixing looks over his shoulder from his position by the shop doorway. Lu Han is leaning against a rack of bird feeds, wearing a mischievous smile on his face. "What 'your Junmyeonnie' ?"

"You know. Sehun's cousin--dark hair, pretty eyes, prettier smile. That Junmyeonnie."

"He's not my Junmyeonnie," he mutters. He stops his hand from scratching at the back of his neck lest the enemy thinks he's nervous. Because he's really not. Nope.

"Oh, he isn't? Sorry, I just thought he is because--"

"Yixing's Junymeonnie, wernk!"

Lu Han points at the myna bird, obviously trying hard not to laugh. Yixing feels a blush crawl up his neck and suffusing his cheeks with an embarrassed heat. He thinks this myna bird should be sold soon. It's too smart.

"Junmyeon's fine," he says. No use denying anything now. "The resort hosting the conference is great but he says it's cold there and he has to ask for extra heat pads and blankets from the hotel." Yixing smiles as he remembers his conversation with the accountant late Monday afternoon.

It took him a lot of pacing and tearing his hair out before he mustered enough courage to call Junmyeon after their trip to the aviary and Yixing's impulsive kiss on his cheek. He just wasn't able to stop himself, not when Junmyeon looked up at him like that--framed by the soft glow of the porch lights, eyes forming half moons and a smile gracing his lips.

It was a nervous four rings before Junmyeon picked up and about three seconds more before Yixing was able to say hello. His grip on the receiver was tight all throughout the call. It was nerve wracking but it was also nice. It felt good hearing Junmyeon laugh at times during the conversation although Yixing thought he sounded better in person. There was a promise from Yixing to check on the lovebirds while he was gone and a reminder from Junmyeon regarding the weekend dinner at his house. The call ended with gentle goodnights and Yixing couldn't be happier. Progress.

Yixing is so lost in his recollections that it takes a while for him to notice Lu Han waving his hand in front of his face. "Yoohoo, boss?"

"What?"

"I was asking when the big date was."

"It's not a big date."

"Then when's the not big date."

"Saturday at seven. Why are you even asking?" Yixing raises an eyebrow.

"Because I'm the good employee who will take Sehun out so you can have your date in peace."

Yeah, right. "Of course. Thank you for sacrificing yourself for me."

"Anything for you boss," Lu Han says with a chuckle.





Junmyeon stretches himself on his large bed, happy to wake up at home. The hotel he stayed in was great but it's nothing compared to the comfort of his own bedroom. The mattress dips as he rolls to his side, eyes still closed while he listens to Tweety and Sylvester's song. He took them upstairs with him last night because he misses them and partly because they remind him of Yixing.

And he admits he misses him, too.

Lately, the young shop owner is always on his mind. Things aren't the same since Baekhyun told him about the lovebirds and he has since been puzzling over why Yixing gave them to him. He can't seem to forget the kiss, too, and it's really embarrassing to be so caught up in what is in fact just an innocent goodnight peck on the cheek.

Junmyeon, really, get yourself together.

He has to because tonight is his dinner with Yixing. He's so looking forward to it, it's ridiculous. He tells himself over and over that he doesn't have time but Yixing sorely tempts him to change his mind.

He's not really sure if Yixing feels the same although the lovebirds... the lovebirds seem so quiet. He opens an eye to peek at the birds and he sees one (Tweety or Sylvester, he's not really sure) flying over the perch. Only one.

He sits up, eyes sweeping his room and coming back to rest on the empty chain beside the other lovebird before bouncing to the... open window.

He runs to it and sticks his head out. There's no sign of the other bird.

"Sehun, oh my god!" he calls out.

There's a rush of footsteps and the bedroom door opens. "What is it, hyung?"

"Tweety... Sylvester... Tweety..." Junmyeon gestures weakly to the perch. "The other's missing."

"Okay, I'll go out and look for it. I'll call Lu Han and Yixing-hyung maybe they--"

"No, don't!" He can't let Yixing know. He doesn't want to think how Yixing will be disappointed in him if he loses the precious bird.

He looks up the wall clock. He has ten hours before their dinner. He has to find the bird.





He's changed into a dozen outfits before settling on the blue-green long sleeved shirt and simple black slacks for his date... er, dinner with Junmyeon. Yixing studies his reflection on the floor-length mirror, making sure everything's in order. He really wants to make a good impression because a good impression means more progress. He smiles and imagines the perfect dinner they will have, the cup of coffee after and then it will be his turn to ask Junmyeon out on a proper date. Maybe if he's lucky, he'll get another goodnight kiss and... He can feel himself melt.

Zhang Yixing. Again. Control. Yourself.

He can't help being excited though. After a year and more than three hundred longing glances, he's kind of, sort of, maybe going out with Kim Junmyeon.

Yixing's Junmyeonnie, he giggles. In a manly way, of course.

There is a movement in the corner of his eyes and Yixing looks to find a lime green feathered bird. It's a peach-faced lovebird perched on his open window.

"Hey, buddy. What are you doing here?" he asks, confused. He recognizes the feather pattern and he's sure this is one of the pair he gave Junmyeon. He scoops up the bird in his hand. "Why did you run, uh, fly away? Your partner's not gonna be happy with you when you get back."

The bird just tweets at him. It's not surprising that the bird found its way back to his apartment. He's been taking care of them since they were birdlings. He wasn't planning on selling them but then he meets Junmyeon and well, everything changes.

"Come on, buddy. Let's get you home."





Lu Han pats his windblown hair in place before he knocks on the door. He's feeling jumpy but in a good way. It's his and Sehun's first official date. It's a simple one and it involves a lot of walking because Sehun told him that he likes taking strolls at night. He also tells him it's because he likes to eat his mom's home baked brownies. Lu Han doesn't completely understand him but it is part of Sehun's charm.

He happily waves when Junmyeon opens the door but his smile drops when he sees the elder's worried expression. "Oh, hyung, is there something wrong?"

Jummyeon smiles sadly at him. "I lost it."

"What did you lose?"

"He lost one of the lovebirds," Sehun says. He walks beside Junmyeon and gives his cousin a comforting squeeze on the shoulder.

"Oh." Lu Han offers to help look for the bird now but Junmyeon politely refuses.

"I don't want to trouble you. Sehun and I already looked for it all afternoon. We'll just try to look again tomorrow." Junmyeon sounds so sad and Lu Han pats his shoulder.

"Don't worry too much. We'll find it. Does boss already know?"

"No. I haven't told him yet. That's also why I'm worried. I know he's too nice to get angry but he'd be so disappointed in me. Those birds were special to him. What if he... What if he doesn't want to be friends anymore?"

"That will never happen! I know boss. He'll understand. And you're friends now. He won't give that up because of a bird." Lu Han can see Junmyeon’s eyes become hopeful. "Also remember, Yixing has six letters and so is fated."

Sehun beams at him while Junmyeon pauses before laughing softly. "You hang out too much with Sehun."

Lu Han and Sehun say their goodbyes with Sehun promising to come home before midnight. The two of them reach the sidewalk. It's a little chilly and Lu Han shivers. His hands tremble a bit but he soon feels a warm hand enveloping his. He looks up at Sehun's smiling face and he feels lost and found at the same time.

"Lu Han, I have three words for you.” Sehun leans closer to him. "I like you."

His first thought is that, indeed, those are three words. The second, he blurts out. "I like you, too."

They grin at each other really dorkily before they continue their walk to the restaurant, their linked hands swaying happily between them.





He's sure the carpet is now quite worn as he keeps on pacing back and forth in front of the door. Junmyeon asks himself how to tell Yixing that Tweety... Sylvester... Tweety (god, he still doesn't know which one) is missing.

There's a knock and Junmyeon bites his lower lip. He's here.

He breathes deeply and opens the door. "Yixing, I'm sorry I--" He stops and his eyes round when he sees Yixing holding a small cage with a peach-faced lovebird inside. "Tweety! Sylvester! Tweety! Sylvester!"

"Yixing!" Yixing says with a grin.

Junmyeon throws himself at Yixing and hugs him in relief. He can feel Yixing tense for a bit before he wraps his arms lightly around Junmyeon, too.

"Hey," Yixing says softly against his hair.

"Thank you and... I'm sorry," he answers before pulling away shyly. "I was just so happy to see you. I mean, to see you and the lovebird."

Junmyeon motions Yixing inside the house, towards the living room where the other lovebird stands forlornly on its perch. Yixing lets out the other lovebird from the cage and chains its foot back to the perch. Junmyeon hears the lovebirds tweet enthusiastically. Well, it sounds like one is scolding the other for running away while the other one replies with sweet apologies to his mate. Junmyeon finally understands why Sehun calls them Tweety and Sylvester. He thinks. But it's really good to see them back together.

"Where did you find it?" Junmyeon asks.

"Oh, the bird was, um, on my windowsill." Yixing rubs his nape. "About them. Actually, I--"

"You own them. They're not for sale and you practically gave them to me for free. I know," he says with a grin. "Your friend, Baekhyun, told me."

He can hear Yixing groan a little before muttering, "That blabbermouth."

"But may I ask why?" Junmyeon laughs nervously.

He can see Yixing hesitate a bit before answering. "Do you remember back at the farm when I was telling you about the meaning of birds? I wasn't able to tell you about lovebirds. These birds… They are known as Die Unzertrennlichen. The inseparables. Because finding their pair is an essential part of their life. That's why lovebirds symbolize falling in love, courtship, and permanence."

"I... I have wanted to meet you a long time ago. Please don't get weirded out, but I actually see you pass by my shop everyday for the past year. And out of all the people who do, you were the only one who didn't even smile at me. I was curious and the more I learned about you... I wanted to know more."

Junmyeon feels like flying all over again, this time with toes curled. He doesn't know what to say. Is Yixing telling him—?

"I like you, Junmyeon."

Junmyeon is actually surprised to see that he is still standing on his living room and not floating off to somewhere. "I--"

"I'm sorry. You don't really have to answer so soon. I just.. I know I had to say it because I really do. Like you, that is." Yixing steps closer. "Sehun says you’re busy and you probably don't have time for any of this right now and he says you're up for promotion in a month but I can wait for you for one month. No, I mean I can wait for your answer even if it takes many, many months and... And..."

He smiles at Yixing and he closes the distance between them, putting his arms around the other's neck just like earlier because Junmyeon feels it's actually where they belong. "And then we breathe," he jokes.

But the soft kiss he places against Yixing's lips is no joke at all. And so are his next words. "I like you, too. So much actually. It's kind of crazy. It's like having arthritis on the knees to be honest."

Yixing grins. "Uh, that's a good thing, right?"

"Yes. It's the greatest." Junmyeon nods and holds him tighter. "And you're right. I'm busy and I don't have enough time but I want to do this. So if you can wait for another two weeks--?"

The shop owner leans his forehead against Junmyeon's. "I've already managed to wait for a year, what's two weeks?"

"So it's true. You really are a slowpoke."

Yixing groans again. "What else did Baekhyun tell you?"

Junmyeon kisses the side of his beautiful mouth, just because he can. "Nothing else. I found out that you're incredible all on my own."

"Junmyeon is eight letters and so is perfect." Yixing's dimples deepen as he grins.

"Seriously, you people hang out too much with my cousin," he pauses and rolls his eyes. Then with a mischievous smirk, he looks into Yixing eyes. "Hey, Yixing. Three words for you: Let's have that dinner!"

That's four words but really, at this point, who even cares?




EPILOGUE


"No one who care about me, wernk!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AN: ill be updating TCY soon.. orz
and thanks to all who read A Thousand Years! :D
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS \o/