Chapter 4

Which Jonghyun?

“Here.” said Kyuhyun, as he handed Sungmi a helmet.  It was a motorcycle helmet with a dark windshield, covering the face.  He was holding one as well.

                “You ride a motorcycle?” asked Sungmi, with a smile.

                “Of course.” answered Kyuhyun, with a smile mirroring hers.  “Gosh, you’re so cute with that petticoat!”  He gave her a little pinch on the cheek.

                Mrs. Kim was observing the pair with huge excited eyes.  Meanwhile, Jonghyun just kept on rolling his eyes and almost seemed to be sulking.  Mrs. Kim looked at her younger son with a smile.  “If you wanted to, why won’t you just tell Kyuhyun that you want to take your wife home?” she asked, casually.

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes again.  “Mom, that’s not it!” he said.  “This is just ridiculous!  I can’t believe that Kyuhyun knows her!”

                “Sweetie…  Where have you been all these years?  Her family and ours go to the same church.” said Mrs. Kim.

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes.  “I know, Mom.  Kyuhyun has been saying that ever since I came back…  Geesh.” he said.

                “Kim Jonghyun.” said Mrs. Kim, with a angry tone.  “Do not give me that tone.”

                “What tone?” he asked, defensively.

                “Mrs. Kim, Kyuhyun is going to take me home now.” said Sungmi, as she approached her and Jonghyun on the couch.

                Mrs. Kim’s smile grew wider, if possible.  “Sungmi, before you leave I want you to do me a favor.  Call me Mommy.” she said.

                “M-Mommy?” said Sungmi, unsure.  She looked over at Jonghyun, it looked like he was holding in a laugh.

                “I can tell that you are uncomfortable…  How about what you call your mom?” asked Mrs. Kim.

                “Mother.” said Sungmi, with a more reassuring tone.  “Mother, Kyuhyun will be taking me home now.”

                Mrs. Kim laughed, cheerfully.  “That sure made my day, Sungmi.  Thank you, lovely and be safe you two.” she said.

                Sungmi looked down at Jonghyun as he glared up at her.  It seemed like she was about to say something to him.  He quickly stood up and went into his room.  Mrs. Kim glared at his bedroom door.  She turned to Sungmi with a warm smile.

                “I’m sorry, sweetie.  Jonghyun’s a bit strange tonight.  Maybe he’s jealous.” said Mrs. Kim, with a wink.  Sungmi just smiled at her mother-in-law politely.

 

 

                Jonghyun and Sungmi already sent their pictures at their designated time to send them for Mrs. Kim.  He was glad that they were able to send them on time since he was stressing the most about not sending them on time.  He plugged in his ear buds into his ear as music pumped through his body. 

                In a way, Jonghyun was mad that his mom had assumed earlier that he was jealous at Sungmi and Kyuhyun.  He opened his mouth, as if he was gagging.  Disgusting…  He knew that he would never be jealous of Sungmi.  Why should he be?  She’s not even attractive at all.  Either Kyuhyun has gone completely blind because of his video games or he’s just -kissing for the night.  Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

                “Why is everyone being so nice tonight to that chick?” he asked, aloud.  “And, how is she too good for me?  She’s only rank 3…  Geesh…  Only Number 3!!  Not even Number 1!  If Number 1 was a girl I would totally date him!  Not only that, he would be pretty!  Unlike that Jung Sungmi!  Ugly, fat, and only rank 3!!  Useless woman…”

                Jonghyun went on his computer to surf the web.  There seemed to be nothing.  What to do?, he thought.  There’s nothing to do tonight.  I wonder if Shin and the others are up for karaoke tonight?

                All the sudden, he received an IM from Shin.  Shinny653: What are you doing?  PLAYER#1: Just finished dinner…  U?  Shinny653: Just came home from my wife’s place!!  It was so FUN!!  Jonghyun looked at his friend’s response horrified.

                “You’ve got to be kidding me!” said Jonghyun, aloud. He quickly responded.  PLAYER#1: You enjoy this STUPID project?!!!  Y?  Shinny653: I actually like this a lot.  Mihye is such a good cook!!  Y?  It’s because it’s nice to step out of the group for once.

                Jonghyun just stared at Shin’s answer.  It’s good to step out of the group for once?!!  Jonghyun wanted to scream.  How could that be possible?!!  People would die to get into him and his friends’ social circle!  They were the popular and cool kids, the kingkas and queenkas!!!  What did Mihye do to Shin?!  Did she brainwash him?!  Is Sungmi and Mihye in on this so they can ruin Shin and his social life?!!  Jonghyun shook his head, trying to focus on the chat.

                PLAYER#1: What do you mean?  Shinny653: It’s nice for change, u know.  Don’t you think it’s nice to meet new people and make new friends?  PLAYER#1: Well, yeah…  It’s good to meet new people and all, but why Mihye?  Shinny653: She’s nice and doesn’t judge people.  I’m sure Sungmi is sweet and kind as well as long as you’re nice to her.  PLAYER#1: Hell NO!!  I would never do that!!  She deserves to be suffering from my remarks!!  Shinny653: Stop being so stubborn, Jonghyun.  PLAYER#1: Dude, you’re not my MOM!!

                There was a knock at Jonghyun’s door.  “Kim Jonghyun.  Why don’t you come out here?  Let’s have a talk.” said Mrs. Kim.  Jonghyun prayed silently, knowing well of her wrath.  “Hurry up or I’ll tear down your door.”  Sweat beaded on his forehead as turned off his computer and then got up from the chair by his desk.  Jonghyun gulped down his pride as he slowly treaded to the door.  Why was he so afraid of this woman? 

 

 

                Sungmi looked down at cell phone.  It was Jonghyun’s regular text in the morning ever since she ate dinner at his place.  Msg: I hate you!!  I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!  I HATE YOU!!! –Jonghyun  Sungmi rolled her eyes.  She was actually going to reply.  Since that day was the Sunday that Mrs. Jung had wanted Jonghyun to come over to their place to eat dinner, she decided to remind him.  Sungmi already knew that Mrs. Jung will make her ask him at church.  The last thing Sungmi wanted was to conversate with the guy anyways.  She hitted off good with Kyuhyun ever since they were introduced last year; thus she’s going to keep that way.

                Sungmi sent her message: It’s nice to know that you think about me every day, Jonghyun ;)  kekeke  Remember that my mom asked you to eat dinner at my place tonight!  Are you going to be at church today? –Sungmi.  She rolled her eyes, after she already sent the message.  Why would she ask if he would be there?  Of course, Jonghyun will be there.  He’s a part of the church choir and always sings the solo parts...  He will be there for his lime light.  Jonghyun texted back.  Msg: FYI, I don’t think about you every day!!!  I just wanted to send you a wakeup call that I detest you!!  And, what the hell have you been drinking?  I always go to church!! –Jonghyun

                Sungmi rolled her eyes.  Great, she thought.  I have to see Mr. Dog Face AIDs Carrier…

 

 

                “Jonghyun, you sang so beautifully today.” smiled Eunchan.  She’s a very pretty girl that from one the families that attend his church.

                He smiled, confidently.  “Thank you, Eunchan.  You look so beautiful with that red ribbon in your hair.  I noticed it while I was on stage.”

                The girl blushed.  “Thank you, Jonghyun.  You’re so sweet.”

                Jonghyun was about to put his arm around her shoulders and whisk her off away to somewhere more private, but his mother called for him.  He looked at his parents talking to Sungmi’s parents and Kyuhyun chatting with Sungmi.  He didn’t want to go them.  He wanted to be alone with Eunchan.  Knowing that his mother will kill him when he gets home if he didn’t go over to them, he smiled apologetically.

                “Sorry, I have to go.” said Jonghyun.

                Eunchan pouted her juicy red lips cutely. “It’s OK, Jonghyun.  We can talk another time.” she said.

                “Bye.” he said, and left the girl hanging.

                As Jonghyun approached his group, his mother threw out a remark.  “What a player you are?!!” she said.  “You’re already married and you’re still fooling around!!  Oh, what sufferings I will go through if you do get married in real life?!!”

                “Mom, it’s only a stupid project!” retorted Jonghyun, embarrassed.  It was a good thing her voice was low because if Eunchan heard her remark, he knew well that she would probably never talk to him again.

                “Stupid project?  As if!!  This project isn’t just solely for you and your classmates to become closer, it’s also about the commitment you put into a real marriage as well.” said Mrs. Kim, angry.  “Isn’t one of the rules that you can’t have a relationship at all during the process of project?”

                Jonghyun didn’t answer.  “Really?” asked Sungmi, unaware of the rule.

                “Mrs. Kim said so.  She told me to especially keep a close eye on Jonghyun because he’s such a womanizer.” said Mrs. Kim.

                Sungmi took out her phone and texted her friend.  “I’ll double check with my friend if it applies to only us because ours is a special case or everyone.” she said, as she texted.

                “What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Jonghyun, offended.  “So, because of me, we are considered a special case.”

                “Of course!  Knowing you, you and Eunchan were just about to run off somewhere where you two are alone.” said Sungmi, with a disgusted face.  “That’s just disgusting.  You should be ashamed of yourself!  I can’t believe that you were actually going to do something like that under the House of God.”

Kyuhyun bursted into a fit of laughter as Jonghyun gritted his teeth.

                “Sungmi!!” said Mrs. Jung, disapprovingly.  “Don’t say such-”

                “Mrs. Jung, it’s alright.  My son is like what Sungmi says.” said Mrs. Kim, taking her side.  “Jonghyun is not the one to care of consequences at all.  And, since he’s such a player, he breaks girls’ hearts daily.  You should not worry though; I’ll make sure he doesn’t do any harm to your lovely Sungmi.” 

                Mrs. Jung looked at Jonghyun.  He could tell that there was disappointment.  He was not as great as she had assumed since Mrs. Kim had only talked mostly about Kyuhyun.  Jonghyun was mentioned in their conversations at times when Kyuhyun was brought up, but Mrs. Kim would never discuss to another woman about his son being a player.  Only if it was necessary as it was now.  It was too shameful for her.  Besides Jonghyun’s major flaw, Mrs. Kim loves him greatly.  Perhaps even more than Kyuhyun since he is her youngest.

                Mr. Kim and Mr. Jung had completely been oblivious to what was going on around them.  They were discussing about the down fall of the economy, the dangerous falls and rise within stocks, the inflation rate, and etc.  The two were so engrossed into their conversations that they had completely forgotten about their family.

                Jonghyun glared at Sungmi, as she looked at her phone.  “Mihye said that this rule has been especially made only for you.” she smiled.  “It’s for you, not me.”

                Jonghyun glared at her.  “Thank you for making sure.” he said, through his gritted teeth.

                “You’re welcome!” smiled Sungmi.

                “Jonghyun, you are coming for dinner later, correct?” asked Mrs. Jung, with a warm smile.

                “Of course.” he answered, with a nod.  Mrs. Jung and Mrs. Kim began a side conversation, leaving the kids with themselves.

                “Hey, Sungmi.” said Kyuhyun.  “Do you want to go for a ride after this?”

                “In a petticoat and a dress?” laughed Sungmi.

                Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders, as if an innocent child.  “Of course.” he said.

                “You didn’t even ride drive your motorcycle here.” said Jonghyun, bursting Kyuhyun’s bubble.

                The older brother looked at the younger one and smiled, telling him to back off.  Jonghyun just smiled back.  “We can go to my place first and then get on my motorcycle.” suggested Kyuhyun, looking back at Sungmi.

                “I have to go Christmas shopping with my friend.  I’m sorry.” she said.  Jonghyun let out a laugh and Kyuhyun glared at him. 

                “Aren’t you supposed to go with your wife for Christmas shopping?” asked Kyuhyun.

                Before Jonghyun could answer, Sungmi did for him.  “He’s busy.” she answered.  Jonghyun flashed a confused look.  Was she actually being nice to him by answering the question?  “It’s OK.”

                Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders.  “At long as you’re fine with it.” he said, with a smile.  “You look so cute today.”

                 Jonghyun almost gagged.  He looked at Sungmi.  She had on a brown blended wool, cotton, and nylon dress with a small scoop neckline.  She had on a small white belt, creating an empire waist for the dress.  The dress came to her knee.  Due to the cold weather, Sungmi had on stockings on along with another cardigan under the warm petticoat.  She had a pair of plain flats on.  Jonghyun rolled his eyes.  It wasn’t even fashionable, at least not to Jonghyun.  Sungmi could have at least accessorized since her wardrobe was so plain, it would add a more of punch to the outfit.

                “We’re going now, Sungmi.” said Mrs. Jung.

                Sungmi looked at her mother, then back at Kyuhyun.  She smiled.  “I’ll see you soon.” she said.  She, then, look at Jonghyun.  “I’ll see you later.”  He didn’t say anything to her for the 2 seconds that she was waiting for him to say something.  She simply took it that he won’t bid her goodbye.  “Bye.” she continued, as she looked at Kyuhyun.  “Good bye, Mr. and Mrs. Kim.”

                “Good bye.” chimed Kyuhyun, Mr. and Mrs. Kim, as the Jung family left.

                Mrs. Kim turned to Jonghyun with anger in her eyes.  “You still act like this even after we had our talk?” she hissed, venomously.  She yanked out her cell phone from her purse and speed dialed a number.  “Hello, Mrs. Kim?” Jonghyun’s face dropped.

                No, thought Jonghyun.  Why did I have to do this to myself?!!!

                “Hello, Mrs.Kim.  I am Kim Jonghyun’s mother.” smiled Jonghyun’s mother.  “Well, Jonghyun, has been so cold to Sungmi lately.  Please tell him to be kind and treat her well.  And, please explain to him why you have that special rule for him.”  Jonghyun’s mother handed him the phone.

                The young man took the phone with regret, as he Kyuhyun laughed in the background.  “Mrs. Kim.” said Jonghyun.  “I-”

                “Jonghyun!!” said Mrs. Kim, on the other end.  “How dare you treat Sungmi unfairly?!!  You are to do your job as a good husband to treat her well!!!  Jonghyun, the reason why I gave only you that special rule is because I know what kind of men you are!!  And, you’re not going to fool around on this project!!  Do you understand?  Do not make you get only half credit out of this project, Jonghyun?  You know how easy this project is and you’re letting your opportunities down the drain young man!”

                “Mrs. Kim, I understand.” said Jonghyun, obediently.  “I will take care of Jung Sungmi and treat her well, miss.”

                “Thank you, Jonghyun.” said Mrs. Kim.  “Good bye.”

                “Bye.” he said, as he hung up.  He handed the phone back to his mother, as Kyuhyun continued to laugh.

 

 

 

                Shin had decided to tag along with Mihye and Sungmi on their Christmas shopping trip.  He thought that it would be nice to take a chance to hang out with Sungmi since he hasn’t done so.  Shin still doesn’t understand why Jonghyun has to be such an to this girl.  She seems to be just as calm, bright, and kind like Mihye.  The trio was in a toy shop because Mihye and Shin are both trying to get Mihye’s younger brother a present.

                “Mihye, hold my hand.” suggested Shin, as he held out his hand to her.

                “No.” she said, shyly.

                Shin smiled and took it, even though Mihye complained.  “We’re married now.  Why are you so shy?” he asked.

                “It’s only a project, Shin.  You don’t need to take it seriously!” answered Mihye.  She tried to tug her hand away from his, but he held on tightly.

                “I’m not letting you go!” said Shin, with a huge grin.

                “Geesh, you two!” said Sungmi, interrupting them.  “If I knew that you guys were just going to be like that, I would have just asked Kyuhyun to come with me instead.”

                “Why not Jonghyun?” blinked Shin.  “Why Kyuhyun instead?”

                “Jonghyun is busy chasing after girls.  I don’t need someone useless like that.  I’d much rather go shopping with Kyuhyun instead because he’s helpful and is actually attentive, unlike Jonghyun.” answered Sungmi.

                “Speaking of the devil, there he is.” said Mihye, as she pointed out the window into the crowd.

                Shin and Sungmi looked out the window to where Mihye pointed her finger.  It was crowded out there, but they were still able to distinguish Jonghyun within a sea of people.  He had a huge grin plastered on his face as he looked down at the girl next to him.  They were holding hands.  The girl was pretty with her pink glossly lips and light brown dyed hair. 

                “I thought that he wasn’t supposed to be flirting with other girls while we were still doing this project?” asked Shin, as he turned to Sungmi.

                She was smiling wickedly, as she took pictures away on her hand held camera.  “Ha ha ha!!” laughed Sungmi.  “I am going to use this for blackmail!!”  Since there were a lot of people, the couple was moving slowly.  Sungmi took the advantage and continued to take pictures.

                “This isn’t right.” said Shin, as he looked Mihye.  “Mihye, I would never do anything like this to you…  I promise you that, alright?”

                “Sure, sure.” answered the girl, waving her hand, half listening.

                “Mihye, I mean it!!” said Shin, as he looked into the girl’s face.  “I will never do anything like that to you!  And, this is wrong!  Jonghyun knows better not to be like this!!  I’m going to stop him!”

                “Shin!” said Mihye, as she grabbed onto his jacket sleeve.  “What if he gets mad at you?”

                “Then, let him.” answered Shin, as loosened the girl’s grip on his jacket.  He plunged into the crowd.  He was able to quickly made his way to Jonghyun and the girl.  “Jonghyun!”

                The blond haired boy looked at his friend with a smile.  “Hey Shin!” he said.

                “What are you doing?” he asked, seriously.  He approached the pair and stopped them.

                “What do you mean?” asked Jonghyun, confused.

                “Who is she?” asked Shin, gesturing to the girl Jonghyun was holding hands with.

                The young man smiled.  “My girlfriend.” he said.

                “What about Sungmi?” asked Shin.

                “What about her?” asked Jonghyun, not caring.

                “Who is she, Jonghyun?” asked the girl.

                “She’s here.” said Shin, as he looked towards the toy store window.  Sungmi was looking at him and Jonghyun talking.  She seemed to be perfectly fine.

                “I don’t care.” Shin could hear Jonghyun say.

                Shin looked at his friend, angry.  Jonghyun was shock at his expression.  Shin looked down at Jonghyun’s girlfriend.  “Jonghyun’s got a girlfriend, missy.” he heard himself say.  “His girlfriend is-”

                “Here.” interrupted Sungmi.  The three of them looked at her, startled.  Amazingly, she made through the crowd quickly.  She latched her arm onto Jonghyun’s other arm.  “How could you Jonghyun?!!  Why?!!”  Her eyes became teary and she began to cry.  “Why, Oppa, why?!!  I thought that you said you’ll only love me!!”  Sungmi began to cry loudly, causing people to stare.

                Jonghyun looked down at her as if she was crazy.  He tried to pull his arm free from her grip, but it was no use.  “W-What the hell?” asked the other girl.  “You said that you were single!!”

                “I am!!” yelled Jonghyun, through Sungmi’s cries and wails.

                “Oppa!!!!  Why?!!  I love you so much!!!” screamed Sungmi, as tears fell down one by one.  Shin was just gawking at her, surprised that she was hiding all these feelings from Jonghyun along.  “I gave you my whole heart and what do I get in return?  Nothing!!!  Nothing!!!!”

                “What the hell are you talking about?” asked Jonghyun, as he pushed Sungmi hard.  He pushed her so hard that Sungmi loosened the grip on his jacket sleeve.  Jonghyun got his arm out of her grip and pushed her again.  “Go away, Sungmi!  Stop acting like that!!” 

                “Oh, NO WAY!!  I am not going to put with this kind of relationship again!!” said the other girl, as she let go of Jonghyun’s hand.

                “Hyunjin!!  Wait!!” said Jonghyun. 

                “Go to hell!!!” screamed the girl, as she stomped away. 

                Jonghyun was going to go catch up to the girl, but Shin stopped him.  “Stop it Jonghyun.” said the friend.  “Do you want to fail Literature next school year?”

                “I obviously don’t care!” answered Jonghyun, as he looked at his friend and then at Sungmi.  She was still crying.  “What the hell?!”  Sungmi’s cries became laughters.  “What the hell?!!!  I hate you, Jung Sungmi!!  I hate you!!!  Why did you do that, huh?”

                Sungmi continued to laugh like a crazy witch.  She held up her phone and Jonghyun saw the text.  It was Activity 2.  “We’re getting rings, sweetie, in the next 20 minutes!!” she said.

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes.  Shin was still staring at Sungmi.  “So…  You were acting?” he asked.

                “Well, yeah!!” answered Sungmi.  “Jonghyun will never say that he loves me and I will never give him my whole heart.”

                “That was…  Amazing.” said Shin, still mesmerized by Sungmi’s acting skills.   “It was so believable!!  When Sungmi suddenly burst out crying like that, I really did thought that something had happened between you two!!”

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes.  “It will never happen, Shin.  Besides, what is wrong with you?  I would never fall in love with something that ugly, fat, and annoying!!!” he said, as he pointed to Sungmi.  She just rolls her eyes.

                Shin smiled at Sungmi.  “You guys, never say never.” he said.  “You don’t know what Fate has in mind for you.”

 

 

**NOTE: I hope you all enjoy this chapter as much as I did writing it!!  I am so sorry for the typos and grammar problems.  Hmmm....  For some reason, I can tottallly see Key in Shin.  Very strange.  Sorry, none of the Shinee band members are going to be appearing in this fanfic, ONLY JONGHYUN.  Sorry!