Yield

Yield

 

     The bouquet felt light in Taemin’s hands. He put them along the row with the others, arranging them so that it would look pleasant.

The boy stopped what he was doing once the phone rang. Running over, Taemin maneuvered around the counter and picked up the phone, “Hello, Tae’s Bouquet Banquet, what may I do for you?”

A deep voice from the other line responded, “Hi, yes, I was wondering if I could order a bouquet of orchids for my farm.”

“What size sir?” Taemin asked while getting out a piece of paper and pen, writing down the address.

“Medium would be fine. My address is 1953 Gaego Street. The name of the farm is Choi’s Applefarm.” The voice went on to say as Taemin jotted down everything.

“Is that everything?” Taemin asks after repeating the address to make sure he got it right.

“Yes.”

“I’ll have it delivered there in about 25 minutes. See you soon.” Taemin said, and hung up after the man said his goodbye.

Taemin then goes into his mini garden of the shop, where all the flowers were blooming. Taemin got some flowers from the orchid section, snipping off each flower carefully by the stem, and arranging them in bouquet format.

After getting all the flowers, Taemin brings it back to the checkout counter where he wraps the bouquet, tying it snugly with a purple ribbon, as well as a little card containing facts about the flower in a nutshell.

Taemin brings the bouquet outside, where his bike was parked. He places it on the basket sitting in front of the handles, and hops onto the seat, pedaling to the direction he was to go. The address paper fluttered in Taemin’s hand as he glanced down at it every once in a while, turning corners whenever he needed to.

The wind felt nice in his hair. Whatever the weather, Taemin always loved to deliver using his bike, and by himself. It was only him running the shop anyway. Apart from his father paying for some of the flowers to sell, Taemin ran the shop all by himself.

 

     After a few minutes, Taemin arrives in front of an orchard. Mini trees were sprouting from all around, tints of red hidden in the bushes and some peeking out from the tall grass.

Taemin hopped off his bike and carried the bouquet to the front gate, “Excuse me?” He calls, peering around for a presence of sorts.

“Coming!”

Out from the forest of apple trees came a man, no, a boy. With a wide forehead and a somewhat pointy chin. His dark brown eyes met with Taemin’s as it curved slightly from his smile. His body stood out the most. With its lean structure, and slightly tanned skin. His height was no joke, as Taemin had to raise his head up slightly once the other got closer. The boy rolled up the right sleeve of his plaid jacket, arm veins appearing for a slight moment before fading back in. His neat black hair, which fell down to his eyebrows, stopped bouncing once he stopped in front of Taemin.

“The orchid flowers, I’m presuming?” The boy’s incredibly deep voice rumbled out. Taemin blinked slightly before nodding and handing it to the other.

The boy takes them and pushes it gently against his face, lips and nose brushing against the soft pedals as he takes a long whiff.

Taemin ran his tongue across his lower lip, cheeks suddenly feeling warm.

“Thank you. And how much will that be?” The boy asks once he pulls the flowers back.

“2,000 won, please.” Taemin lets out in a quiet voice.

The boy digs his free hand into the back pocket of his skin-tight jeans, and pulls out some paper cash, before handing it to Taemin. Taemin counts the money carefully, and was about to reach into his own pocket, until the boy said, “Keep the change.”

“Really?” Taemin asks, looking at the 4,000 won in rarity.

“Yup. Take care now.” The boy said, and ran back in the direction he came from.

When Taemin looked up, the boy was already gone.

 

     The apples shone behind the thick leaves, as if begging to be picked.

“You’re here again?”

Yes, Taemin was, in fact, here again. He had his arms rested on top of the wooden fence, while his head was angled upward, gazing up at the luscious looking apples.

When he finally decides to pay heed to the voice, he comes face-to-face with the boy from yesterday.

“You’re here again?” The boy repeats, though his expression was more than pleased.

Taemin smiled back and nodded, straightening up, “Do you work alone?”

The boy nods in response and turns to the field of trees, widening his arms proudly, “This whole feed is mine. I take care of it and everything.”

Taemin pursed his lips in awe while nodding subtly,

“But…It does look like you need some help. Lots of them are still unpicked.” Taemin states after, pointing to some examples nearby.

The boy chuckles in response, “Well, would you like to help me then?”

Taemin grins before turning and getting out a bouquet of daffodils, and handing them to the boy, “Here.”

“Gosh, thank you so much.” The boy breathed out, and gave a cheeky grin, “How much will it be?”

“Free…If you let me taste some of those apples.” Taemin replied, giving a smile of his own.

The boy lets out a hearty laugh before transferring the bouquet carefully to one arm, “Shall we go inside first?”

 

     “My name is Minho by the way, Choi Minho.” The boy replies while pushing a basket of apples across the table, to Taemin.

“Taemin.” Taemin answers, and picks out a shiny apple from the pile before biting in.

Sweet.

“Would you like some apple juice as well? Freshly squeezed.” Minho offers, though he was already getting out the juice machine.

“Sure, I need more Vitamin C in my body anyway.” Taemin said with a smile, before biting into the apple again.

Minho grabs an apple from the basket and begins to peel it skillfully with a paring knife, cutting it into slices and throwing them into the hole of the juicer, forcing it down whenever he needed to. Foamy apple juice rushed out from the spout, going down into the glass cup underneath until it was filled to the brim. Once it was, Minho pushed it to Taemin.

Taking the cup, the younger male takes a small sip, humming happily at the smoothness, along with the foam at the top. It was like an apple smoothie.

 

     “Can you bring that basket closer?” Minho requested while he picked out a ripe apple from a tree.

Taemin picked up the basket, which was halfway full of apples already, and brought it closer to Minho, where he gently dropped it down.

“So are you going to visit me every day now?” Minho asked as he shifted back to free another apple from the tree.

“If I get the time.” Taemin shrugged, and stepped sideways in order to catch another flying apple.

“I’d like it if you did. I like your flowers, and your company.” Minho said while reaching deeper through the branches.

Taemin felt himself smile at this, but he quickly hid it once the other turned back towards him, “Well…I’ll see what I can do.”

“Really?” Minho asked, stopping his work to give another sunny smile of his.

Taemin nods in response before picking out an apple from the basket full and biting into it.

This one was sweet as well.

 



 

**NOTES**

-What is this fic. What is this ending. What.
-I like my Minho extra dorky.
-I at coming up with store/orchard names OTL
-Wanted to experiment with shorter scenes.
-Leave your comments, questions, rants down below, and maybe I’ll reply to some of them.

-AngelicJoker