One

Love for the Lie

 

"My little brother ran off with my homework, that’s why I don’t have them here, but I have done them,”
Normal pulse. No fiddling with the hands. A body language that did not stand out from the ordinary.
Lies on such a small level fell naturally, and Chan found himself feeling the excitement of lying instead of concentrating on making the lie convincing. It was almost as if he believed the lie himself.
The excitement asked him elated question if the teacher would see through his lies, or if he’d done it again.
Well, most fell for his charming teenage glory anyway, both female and male at that. A smile teased the corners of his mouth when he thought of it.
The smile settled the case on the teacher’s part. Chan could see it in the eyes of the teacher that he was taken. Not a light in the eyes that died in the face of surrender, but a light that lit in delight.
“Okay,” the teacher only said. He looked at the boy through his lashes, and it could seem as if the teacher attempted something that faintly resembled flirting. Chan smiled once more.

The amazement of his own charm never stopped to catch his attention. Shouldn’t he have gotten used to it by now?
Chan was a least one head taller than the teacher, and he looked down at him. On the inside he looked down at the teacher in both ways of the term, while outside he ran his fingers through the bangs that covered some of his face. He smiled one last time at the teacher before he turned and left.
“Kris, can’t I please come to your house today?”
The voice to the girl talking was pleading.
“But dear you, I told you already that I can’t – Me and my father are going fishing,” Chan answered.
“But Kris ~” the girl complained. “Can’t we do something together before your father comes home? Doesn’t he work late? Please, Kris…”
Everybody called Chan by the name Kris. That’s what they thought his name was. That lie had been so easy for the others to believe – the only problem he sometimes faced was that he occasionally forgot that was his name in front of the others – people sometimes had to repeat themselves.
He looked at the leaves that played in the wind. It was fall outside. The wind was a nip of cold in the air, but it was proved each year that it was by this time of the year the leaves loved to play around the most. They lit up the gray asphalt with their gorgeous autumn colors, and looked like they enjoyed themselves very much.
Chan sighed. He rubbed the back of his neck with one hand and turned for one moment his attention towards the girl. This was the fifth person that had sought him out that day and he felt a little tired.
“I can’t,” he said. He had originally thought to say her name as well for the effect, but he’d forgotten her name.
“Can’t your driver at least drop me off at my home on the way?”
His patience was about to run out.
Remember what will benefit you, Chan, he thought intently.
“The limousine is at the garage workshop, so I’m walking home,”
Normal pulse, no fiddling with the hands, calm body language. No problem.
“Oh! But then we can walk together!”
It was just before a sighed was released from his lips.
“You know we don’t live by each other, Sarah,” Chan had remembered her name.
“No, I don’t – you’ve never told me where your mansion is..”
“Which way do you live then?”
Chan could only hope for the best.
“That way,” The girl pointed in one direction.
Chan sighed inwardly. Hope didn’t always work, it seemed. He would have to take a long detour.

Chan took long steps.
He didn’t really need to focus especially much on it, but sometimes it was fun to do so. Today he only focused on it so that he wouldn’t feel the cold the wind sent him. He didn’t wear right clothes to walk home in the cold, that’s why he increased his speed so that his body would create heat itself a little quicker.
His walk was still a little boring thing to think of after a while. He took a glance at his bare arms. The fine, almost muscular arms he had. Why had he only worn a short-sleeved shirt?
Pale, slim limbs. The goosebumps rose up and ahead by the cold.
In the land where he originally came from they would call his skin color milky white – a color that was highly valued. In America you didn’t want to be milky white skinned, you wanted to be a glowing chocolate brown. Everybody wanted what they couldn’t have, but Chan was satisfied with the color he had. He just wished others would realize that it was perfect.
It didn’t take a long time before he’d gone empty of things to think of. The cold got its way and became what the thoughts were forced to crawl around.
“Isn’t it cold?”
A voice sounded just beside him. He hadn’t noticed someone coming, and looked to his side in surprise. There was a girl.
How a human could have such beauty, Chan was unsure of. She was slim – a teenager just like him, without the full forms a full grown woman would have, and had long chestnut colored hair that Chan knew the autumn wind loved to play with where it followed her in happy waves.
“Annyeong,” Chan smiled.
He said hello in his native tongue, and she was the only one he’d met where he lived that understood it. The reason was because she was from the same place.
Chanyeol-ah,” The girl smiled.
Chan sighed happily when she voiced his birth name. The –ah was a sign of familiarity where they came from – a sign that you had a close relationship.
Heeyun-ah,” Chan said.
Heeyun smiled – a smile that made her face glow. Her eyes were big, and looked nothing like what an ordinary Asian’s eyes would look like. Another feature they shared. There was a reason few people could understand where Chan came from. He was pale, tall, had big eyes and chestnut hair. They knew he was exotic and exciting, but nothing more. Chan liked to keep it that way.
He looked at the girl as she spoke again.
“Aren’t you cold, I asked,”
Chan thought about it.
Only say what you can take advantage of. 
“Why would I be cold?”
“Because it’s fall and it’s windy outside, and you’re only wearing a shirt,”
Chan studied the girl in his peripheral vision. She had her dark eyes on him, with a gaze that made him want to shiver in excitement. He did not give in to the temptation; he was too annoyed at the moment.
“Have I told you that I love your eyes?” she suddenly said.
“What?”
“You know you should only stop your annoyance of the people at school,”
“Hm?”
“I can understand why they’re doing it,”
“You can understand what?” Chan stopped. Heeyun kept walking, which led Chan to eventually follow.
“Their giving you attention because they like you. Because you’re tall, handsome and attractive,”
Chan didn’t say a word. Suddenly he wasn’t that cold anymore.
“I know,” he said in the end.
They walked for a while in silence, where only the silence could be heard, before Heeyun spoke again.
“Have you ever heard about someone named Narcissus?”
Chan shook his head.
“He was a young boy from the old Greece.”
“Okay?”
“A mind-blowingly handsome guy that eventually saw his own reflection in a small lake and fell in love with it,”
“He fell in love with himself?”
“Yes – it led to him not being able to leave the lake because he was so infatuated with himself, and he died,”
“Huh,”
“That’s where the word narcissism come from – you know: a conceited person – someone who enjoys himself, his own qualities and abilities, his own success..”
Chan didn’t keep up with the conversation anymore. They had come to a crossroad. He looked around in a little of a panic, he was suddenly worried.
“Heeyun, you’re not going this way,”
“Am I not, now?”
“No..” Chan let the word hang there. He avoided looking at her, and it seemed like he was searching for something special.
“Fine, then I’ll get going,”
Chan jerked. “What? No, wait!”
He looked around himself, but not a trace was left after her.
Heeyun was already gone.

 


 

A/N: this ain't going to be especially long. There will only be one part more. Comments and critique on this story is even greater than love. 

//kooricha