Street life

Glass dreams and Nightmares

Life on the streets was hard. I had to find food, a place to sleep and protect myself. It was hard, being only 12. But I was lucky, because my parents despised me so much, I was often sent off to wushu training, a form of martial arts. I sent hours there, training until my body bruised and ached. I didn't care, the pain made me feel alive. I also loved it there, it was the only place where I felt loved and safe. My master and peers would always talk to me, care about me and feel concerned about me. But that changed...

 
"Tao, I know you and your parents are moving to Korea, but never forget you have extended family here. We will always care about you"
 
"My little panda buddy, you won't forget me right. Your best friend haha"
 
"I'll never forget the moments we had together" 
 
"We'll email you, keep you updated on things here" 
 
"Tao, keep working hard. Strive to do your best, and don't forget to train!!!"
 
I laughed at these memories, laughed at the innocent 12 year old boy who thought he had finally found somewhere he belonged. Before I believed these things, but not now, not ever. 
 
However I was still thankful to the years of wushu training, it was what kept me alive for seven years. 
 

Weeks have passed since my parents threw me away. I was cold, hungry and was barely scraping by to stay alive. 

I was wandering the streets in search for food. When suddenly a droplet of water hit my face.

"Ah it's starting to rain again" I sighed as I looked around for shelter.

As the rain begun to come down harder, I picked up my pace, running through the streets. My steps became desperate as the cold started to seep through my hole ridden clothes. Taking a left as I dashed along the path, soaking my shoes and spraying water everywhere, as I crossed puddles. I found an alleyway with decent shelter and decided to stop there. 

"Life hates me" I cried

I'm a whiner, a complainer, I knew that. I am a person who felt the world had something against him. A person who was only alive for the entertainment of others. Sighing, I sat myself down between the wet, mouldy cardboard and curled into a ball, trying to maintain as much heat as I could. My jet black hair all wet an tangled, prickling my eyes as I layed my head on my knees. 

All of a sudden, I jerked my head up to the sound of footsteps, shoes splashing in the newly made puddles. As the footsteps came closer, I began to grow nervous. But ignored the danger signals my brain was giving to me and brushed my worries off, reassuring myself it was just passerbys. I slowly drifted off to the slow and weird beat of the rain.

"Hey look what I found" smirked the man

"Hmm this one will do, the boss will be happy." His companion snickered

"Yeah, he looks fierce enough to put up a fight"

"Well, we'll gt to see once we put him in the ring" 

The two mysterious figures looked at each other and smirked.