The Names

ASSASSINS

 

Boa folds the newspaper she just read into two after seeing the name of all the guests to their birthday party on the headline, and seeing the pictures of themselves and their friends on the missing list. Changmin look at Boa and hold onto her hand, unlike the strong and stubborn Changmin yesterday, Changmin seems like the normal boy who leans onto his sister while going through all these scary events. The taxi stopped and they try to walk as fast as they can to the White Café in Incheon but truthfully, what kind of energy do they still have after seeing what they saw yesterday. They see their parents die right in front of their eyes after seeing people around them being killed, and on top of that, they learn that their parents might have been the cause why all of this is happening though they try so hard to give themselves reason to believe that their parents had no choice.

 

Boa sits at the very far end of the White Café together with Changmin, both wearing sunglasses and cap to cover up their faces since their face are published on the newspaper as missing person. They believed that their sunglasses and cap are enough to cover themselves up but everyone’s attention is still on them because they see two young teenagers enters the café alone by themselves when news about mass murders just got out.

 

“Finally found you!” They look up and see a familiar face standing right in front of them, smiling happily to them. They never met him before but they’ve been staring at pictures of the ‘trusted’ lists given by their parents for the whole day when they arrived at the Empire Hotel that was booked under a weird name, ‘Alice Kim’ and everything had been paid in advance before they arrive. They don’t know how many people have been following them since they leave the house but they can feel it.

 

“So, what’s the name your parents told you with this face?” The guy in front of them asks them.

 

“Tristan, and that you’re the only one we can trust,” Boa said to the guy their parents introduced as Achilles.

 

“Do you trust me then?” He asks.

 

“No. What if you’re in alliances with the one who killed everyone at our house?” Boa asks.

 

“If that’s so, why are you here?” Tristan asked them and smile as he stand up again to take his coffee. Tristan then placed two hot chocolate in front of them and took a sip of their drink.

 

“I’ve drunk it and I’m not dying yet, so I didn’t put any poison in it, just drink it. I believe Alice Jung’s hotel booking will end today and you guys don’t have any ID yet to extend your booking, so what are you going to do?” Tristan asks.

 

“Who’s Alice Kim?” Boa asks.

 

“Alice Kim is you, Boa-yang. Your mother made new IDs for the two of you and your name is Alice Kim while Changmin-gun right here is Andrew Kim. In your ID, you’re older than your real age, and that makes it possible for the hotel booking,” Tristan said to them.

 

“How come mom didn’t tell any of this in the envelope?” Boa asks while Tristan stares at Changmin who did nothing since Tristan arrived but glare at him for the whole time.

 

“Alice-yang, I was told that you’re a clever girl? Someone just came into your house to kill everyone there and you expect your mom to explain every single thing in an envelope kept in a cabinet under the television? Why do you think your mom died there in front of the cabinet instead of outside? She was trying to make sure no one find the envelope because it’s really easy for ‘them’ to find the envelope but she can’t keep it at other secret places as well, as it would be hard for you to find it,” Tristan said while his eyes still look at Changmin’s eyes.

 

“What about dad?” Boa asks.

 

“Your brother is a fun kid! Your father died there protecting the envelope as well. Alice-yang, ‘we’ saw everything that happens in your home. Your mother though told us not to show it to you until you’re 18, so 4 more years to go before you see the clip.” Tristan said to Boa.

 

“Who is ‘we’? And who is ‘them’? If all of you saw what happen, how come no one came to help us?” Boa asked angrily, trying so hard at keeping her voice low.

 

“Well, ‘we’ is the organization your parents and I are in, and ‘them’ is the organization those who came last night are in. I won’t tell you which side is the good side because honestly in my opinion, both are bad. Do you know how old I am, Andrew?” Tristan asks while staring at Changmin. Changmin blinked at his sudden question.

 

“30?” Changmin asks. Tristan then put his hands up and makes a circular motion with his fingers and they see the manager of the café locked the door and all of them walk closer to them.

 

“Andrew, this is the first time you really talk to me. You must have thought that I’m the same as those people who kill your friends, right? Well, I am and same goes to your father, and some of the guest. Your parents weren’t the only agent kill that day; some of our best agent was killed as well,” Tristan said to the two of them. Boa and Changmin’s focus is no longer on Tristan, but rather on the people around them who keep on walking closer to them.

 

“Your parents, well to be exact, your dad had been a target for a long time. That’s why other agents were there as well. Do you know who I am?” A guy asked the two of them. Boas looks at him and try to remember the name of that person which was also written in the envelope given.

 

“Colin, you’re Colin,” Boa said and somehow Tristan slightly laughs at the name.

 

“Colin it is then. These person, they are our agents, and sure, their children are your friends, but just like you, they’re just kids who knows nothing about what their parents do. It’s such a waste that Hyungseok died because he was supposed to enter the school together with you.” Colin said. Boa and Changmin can’t hide how surprised they were to see pictures of their teacher and neighbors being one of the agents mentioned. Then, was everything a lie from the beginning?

 

“There’s a reason why they call me Tristan, and that’s because they trust me. That’s not my real name but how am I to know that you guys are trustable enough as well to tell you my name? Colin here is call Colin because he’s cold. Your father keep on telling me that it’s not only Boa, even Changmin is a clever kid, so use your clever head to try and figure out why they named us Tristan and Colin. The mission given to me was to bring you to school. They didn’t tell me anything about hiding their identity, so even if you’re too young to know about what’s going on, I don’t care at all,” Tristan said.

 

“And I thought you’re supposed to be Tristan instead of Colin?” Changmin said.

 

“Well, that’s something new because he’s usually Tristan and I’m usually Colin. I’m not interested in being a William or Fred either, so finish up your hot chocolate and I’ll bring you right to school afterwards.” Tristan said to the two of them.

 

“Who’s William? And Who’s Fred?” Colin asks, taking a seat in front of them. Changmin then point his hand to the staff who’s behind the counter who’s still smiling warmly to others and tell Colin that that person is William. Boa on the other hand point towards the person who’s in front of the counter talking with William who keep on laughing at William, gesturing that that person is Fred.

 

“So have you figured out why are they William and Fred?” Tristan asks.

 

“Who’s William and who’s Fred?” William asks.

 

“The usual,” Colin answer.

 

“How come you get to change and we don’t?” Fred asks.

 

“Your name begin with the letter that describes your personality according to my father’s observation. Tristan is the trusted one, Colin is the cold one, William is the warm one and Fred is the fun one, am I right?” Changmin asks.

 

“You’re really a clever kid then!” William said and ruffles his hair.

 

“My father always tell me to use code names when we play. He always told me that Boa unnie is Clarice because she’s clever and I’m always Andrew because he can’t find a name that begins with ‘N’ but Andrew sounded like it starts with, ‘N’, which is because I’m naughty. But why is my sister’s name suddenly Alice?” Changmin asks.

 

“Because your mother was the one who changed her name, your mother wants her to be like Alice in Alice in the Wonderland. Your mother really thinks that your sister personality is like Alice,” William said to Changmin.

 

“Let’s not waste our time to talk and just go to the school now!” Tristan said.

 

“I really think you should be a Colin instead!” Boa said angrily.


“And you’re supposed to be a Tina for having a lot of temper!” Tristan said.

 

“Tristan, you do realize that you’re a 35 year old man fighting with a 14 year old kid, right? So childish!” Fred said to Tristan.

 

“Shut up!” Tristan said.

 

“There’s a Tina in you too!” Fred said teasingly. The four of them then walk out together with Boa and Changmin to bring them to the school.