The Aparition

Light Shade

 

My dreams are plagued with nightmares. The house, screaming, an apparition that haunts the corridors of our apartment.

I play the role well, but sometimes I think people can see through me. Kai, especially. I am not as I was before, I am not as he was.

He keeps me close, he doesn’t let me out of his sight. I know he knows what happened that night, so many years ago, but he still says nothing.

Suho and Kris are sleeping in the other room, and Kai has an arm draped over me. It’s almost midnight, and the moon is high up in the sky. Not at all a full moon; a waning crescent. In a few days, it will be new once again, and the sky will fall into darkness.

A figure walks towards me, a soft light flittering through the window. It takes a place by my bedside, letting its hand wander over Kai’s sleeping form. It takes a lock of his hair in its fingers, it lightly.

“You’re persistent,” I tell the spirit.

“How long are you going to chase me? You know that form won’t last long.”

I hear a groan.

The spirit can barely speak anymore, its voice rough and gravelly. It growls at me, and I see Kai shuffle in his spot.

He’s having the nightmares too.

I press a finger to his neck and he stills, back into a peaceful slumber.

“You gave it to me in the first place. Why should I have to give it back?”

Wide eyes, a tuft of unruly hair. The spirit stands up, holding its hand out towards me in pain, staring with grief-stricken eyes.

“Give it back,” it whispers.

“You felt so sorry for me. I couldn’t even move from my bed, not very well at least.” I tell it.

“Just for a day,” it groans, lips chapped. I see part of its lower half fade, and I smile sweetly at it.

“Just for a day, I guess I did say that.”

Every night the figure follows me to my rest, though it fades and flickers in and out of this world with the cycles of the moon. Like the moon’s waning, the spirit wanes also.

“I was surprised you could trap me with my own power… but, to no avail.” I tell it.

The figure lets out a resigned sigh, and we sit together, both staring at the moon for hours, watching as it starts its descent to the horizon.

“You’ve got no one to fix this, you brought it upon yourself.”

A white, translucent substance falls from the figure’s eyes, fading as it hits the bleached sheets. It holds a hand out and I take it, holding it in mine. I my long fingers up and down the spirit’s arm, and it shivers. Not from the cold, but from the touch.

“No one can help you now.”

The figure groans again, and this time Kai awakens from his slumber. He’s breathing heavily, his voice raspy and hoarse. He stares across at me, noticing immediately that there is a third occupant in the room.

His eyes widen in shock and surprise, his hands flailing under the quilt cover as he desperately tries to push as much space as he can between us.

“Kai,” the figure says, its final words, before sun dances over the horizon. As soon as its rays hit the curtains, he’s gone. Just a ghost, lost in the wind.

Kai’s breathing becomes erratic, and he looks at me with horror-filled eyes. I give him a smirk, pulling him close to me. He struggles in my grip, eyes wide, panting.

“But that was…” he chokes out.

I give him a smile.








“Kyungsoo.”

 

 

 

 


Interpret the ending how you will.

I hope I gave you chills at least once whilst writing this! I had a lot of fun making all the scary happen! >:D

Thanks to those who subscribed, upvoted, and commented! I really appreciate every single thing you guys have written to me, it gives me a reason to persevere and keep writing stories like this!

 

Thank you all, and I hope you enjoyed~

 

EDIT: OK SO PEOPLE ARE HAVING TROUBLE! D': There are several interpretations, so here I'll go, trying to explain them!

1.

How I wrote it, I heavily implied that Kyungsoo's a ghost now, right? Let me explain. Kai brought a spell back, and it was heavily foreshadowed that Kyungsoo should be more careful of those he trusted.  When he said the spell to free Kai, Kai returned to his original body but the wizard had nowhere to go. He took control of Kyungsoo's body and is now in charge of Kyungsoo, though the real Kyungsoo still haunts him. The part for you to interpret is whether or not Kai knew that in freeing him, Kyungsoo was giving himself away; Kai is quick to dismiss where the wizard's spirit will go once the switch happens, and the wizard tells Kyungsoo he should think more carefully about who he trusts. If we assume that the real Kyungsoo only appears to the wizard in his body and Kai, we can assume that Kyungsoo is actually haunting them.

2.

Kyungsoo knew what he was doing the whole time, as the wizard says, Kyungsoo actually willingly gave his body to him "just for a day", but the wizard didn't keep this promise. This implies that Kyungsoo felt sorry for the lonliness and pain the wizard must have felt and his charitable side gave in, so he gave the wizard his body willingly, though the wizard didn't keep his side of the bargain, which is why Kyungsoo follows him whereever he goes as a spirit. In this version, Kai still was transformed into a cat and back into a human, but the transformation back into a human is at the cost of Kyungsoo, who is actually in the wizard's body, whilst the wizard is already in his.

3. 

The final interpretation, and perhaps my favourite, is that everything that occurs in the house is Kyungsoo's way of coping with losing his body. He gives the body away to the wizard "just for a day", like the one above, however he never gets it back. Kyungsoo imagines the whole thing in his head for a way to cope with his being tricked, and he imagines an alternate reality in which Kai tries to help him, because the wizard has his body and Kyungsoo has actually fallen in love with the human Kai that the wizard has started a relationship with. Kai doesn't know that nothing is as it seems until he sees Kyungsoo's spirit one day. Although it doesn't explain how Kai seems to think something's off with Kyungsoo (the wizard), it explains why he's so surprised to see Kyungsoo's spirit haunting them.

 

 

Well, there we go... just trying to flesh it out a little. Pick the ending you like best; all are a little different and I think in understanding all, you're getting a more varied picture of the story.