1

Broken Watch

 

It is a sweltering day, maybe even hot enough to fry an egg on the side walk. Despite the weather, Jessica sits on the floor of her apartment, frowning at her hands, frozen stiff with apathy. The temperature outside hasn't warmed her at all. It is still cold, and it's always going to be cold without her. Something has been missing, the warmth that could set fire to an igloo, the heat that used to shroud Jessica's apartment with contentment. Jessica hasn't forgotten how it felt, how it felt to be cherished. She can't forget how warm it felt, how abrupt the change was when she left. Now Jessica sits, regretting the day she ever threw away the watch that just wouldn't, couldn't tick for her. 

On a cold day, one of the coldest days in South Korea, a young girl sat alone. She was scrawny, and oddly blonde, considering her Korean heritage. Her history was unknown, misunderstood by others around her. They assumed she was just some tourist's child from America. She hid her face in her hands, who could have possibly known she was actually Korean? A brunette from across the street took notice of her blonde locks, squealing happily, dragging her pink shopping bags along as she plopped down beside the girl. 

"AMERICAN GURL!" Jessica's body shook with spasms on the floor after she collapsed from shock. She pulled herself up, barely at the height of the brunette's neck when standing. An accusative finger flung itself at the obnoxiously loud woman. 

"You! You scared the crab out of me!" The foreign woman grinned joyously, ruffling Jessica's hair kindly. The girl swatted the hand away, only to be picked up and pressed into a soft body. Jessica scowled petulantly, squirming in her embrace. She looked up curiously, wanting to take in the full view of this boisterous woman. Wondrous crescent eyes flooded her vision. Jessica's cheeks flushed with color. This woman . . . was beautiful, and . . . warm, and soft, and just . . . so fantastically unusual. She had something about her that reeled Jessica in, pulled her closer to the woman. Her head nestled on the eye-smiling lady's horrifyingly pink, puffy jacket. The outside of it was freezing, bits of frozen ice stuck to Jessica's cheek. Did she mind? No, not all, for she was too fascinated by the steady beat of a most definitely, fabulously, pink heart. It was strange to be so trusting of this woman, however Jessica found herself at a loss for suspicion. A sudden vibration shook her out of her stupor. The most wonderful chuckle that has ever graced her ears, brushed across her forehead. 

"Were you even listening?" Jessica had been listening, just not to her voice. She had been listening to something so much more . . . quiet. The soft thudding of her heartbeat, it was probably the only part of the woman that wasn't extremely loud.  She wasn't about to tell this magnificently odd woman that, of course. 

"You're pretty." She wasn't supposed to say that, either. It had a very desirable effect, though. The woman smiled again, peppering kisses onto Jessica's cheeks. The chill of the wind sweeping by paid no mind to Jessica's scorching hot body, her face burned red with embarrassment. 

"I guess I'm not scaring the seafood out of you anymore?" Jessica listened closely, her eyes widened with realization. 

"You can speak English?" The one being questioned narrowed her eyes, as if to say, "Duh." 

"Now I know you weren't listening. I asked you like, five times what your name was." She leaned closer, examining the girl's face with rapture. Her voice was teasing, laced with impish fun. 

"You're Korean? Aw, poo. I wanted an American Gurl!" Jessica shifted her pointed elbow, jabbing the brunette in the ribs. She took notice of how the word, "girl" was pronounced with a strange Californian accent. 

"I am an Amercian, gurl." Jessica beamed with triumph upon seeing the frazzled expression the older female held. The woman soon regained her focus, smiling down at the girl.

"Well, gurl, I think you're too adorable for me to not know your name." Jessica reddened visibly, clearing and straightening her back to appear older. 

"My name is Sooyeon Jung. You can just call me Jessica."  The older woman grinned, curling her arms around Sooyeon's neck loosely. It was a sort of symbolization; her arms were what bonded them from then on, a way of initiating their friendship. 

"Well, Jessie, you can call me Tiffany." 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This took an ungodly amount of time to write. I've come to the conclusion that it must be because I procrastinate more than a cucumber planted in Winter. Wait, I don't think they would grow at all. So, it isn't really procrastination because they aren't putting growing off, they just won't. This is getting off topic. Speaking, or typing, of getting off topic, you should leave a comment. I like 'em . . . maybe even more than SNSD. No, just no. That was a lie. Comments are pretty up there, though. Know what else is up there? Sunny's pink hair. That stuff is awesome.