Letting go

Stay with Me

Donghae rolled in his bed, still not ready to leave the comfort and warmth of the covers. His head was hurting real bad. Just another way of his body to punish him for crying so much last night.

The phone on the bedside table vibrated yet again. It was the fourth time this morning. He knew exactly who it was that was calling without even glancing at the screen. He was sure that Eunhyuk was wide awake and ready for a fight by now after realizing what Donghae had done. He was certain the other had already left a few angry voice mails on his cell. He didn't feel ready to listen to them yet though.

The boy rolled in his bed yet again and buried his face in the pillow. Just thinking about the other made his head hurt twice as bad.

Just as he could feel a new crying fit approaching, there was a soft knock on the door, followed by the clearing of a throat barely audible from the other side of the door.

"Donghae?" he heard the voice of his best friend ask quietly. "Are you still sleeping?"

He didn't answer. Even Kyuhyun couldn't cheer him up right now and he didn't feel like talking any more about it. He felt like he had burdened him with Eunhyuk's bull more than enough.

"Okay. You had a rough night, you earned the right to sleep in a little." The younger boy kept talking but this time it sounded more as if he was talking to himself instead of Donghae. 

"I hoped I'll be able to stay and keep you company today, but I'll have to drop by the university for a few hours." He said louder this time, still hoping for some kind of response from Donghae. "There is food in the fridge in case you're hungry." Still no answer. "Okay... I guess I'll be going then. Call me if you need anything."

Donghae heard shuffling on the other side of the door, followed by Kyuhyun's retreating steps. He felt himself releasing a breath he didn't realise he was holding. A moment later he heard the sound of the front door closing. 

A sigh escaped his lips. He drew a hand through his face, not quite sure what to do now. A million thoughts started flooding through his brain. Donghae didn't want to think about it but truth be told - he needed a plan. He needed to change his life and change himself, he needed a fresh start. He knew Kyuhyun would let him stay in his apartment for as long as he wanted, but he knew he needed to find his own place sooner or later too. It pained him to think the apartment he shared with Eunhyuk for so long wasn't his anymore.

He shook the thought out of his head. This wasn't something he should be thinking about right now. He didn't feel sure he wouldn't change his mind and run back into Eunhyuk's abusive arms again. He still didn't feel strong enough to face his demons.

Which led him to another unpleasant thought. He still needed to go back to work. The club - where he would have to work alongside Eunhyuk every single night.  The thought made him cringe. He felt a new headache starting to form. Should he quit his job? He considered it. It would be hard to find himself a new job, especially since he didn't have a degree. He would end up as a bartender or waiter again, only at a new, probably tier place. At least at the club he had a good boss who was paying good. 

He shook his head. No, if it came to it, Eunhyuk should be the one to quit and not Donghae.

His phone vibrated again. Donghae sighed. He knew Eunhyuk well enough to know that the guy wouldn't give up soon.

He grabbed the phone from the bedside table and turned it off. This way at least he wouldn't have to be reminded of his ex boyfriend's existence every five minutes.

Donghae tried not to think of anything for a little while. He stared at the white ceiling of Kyuhyun's guest room and tried to enjoy the silence. He tried not to think of the fact that he wasn't at his and Eunhyuk's room. He tried to forget the past twenty four hours. He tried to forget the past two years. He tried to fool himself into believing Eunhyuk hadn't happened, that he had just had a really bad dream. But he knew it was ridiculous. He knew it was real - the good and the bad. Donghae realised it was stupid and childish to think he could actually forget.

"I'm an idiot." He murmured to himself and shook his head for his stupidity.

As much as he wanted to stay under the covers the whole day and just do nothing, his stomach had something else in mind. At first Donghae ignored the rumbling, but as a few minutes passed he couldn't take it anymore. 

He groaned and stood in the bed, deciding it's time for breakfast. Err, scratch that. The clock on the wall said it was half past two in the afternoon so it was more like time for lunch. 

Donghae got up and headed to the kitchen. He had stayed at Kyuhyun's place more than enough times to feel at home. The kitchen box was right across the living room where Donghae had gotten drunk last night. He felt embarrassed all of a sudden. His whole face reddened as he thought about how he must have looked to his best friend. 'Poor Donghae who doesn't have the guts to finally dump that piece of of a boyfriend and can't get a grip of his life.'

He cringed. He sure was pathetic. Eunhyuk made him pathetic. But not anymore.

 

The fridge was pretty loaded. Donghae had no idea Kyuhyun could take care of himself so well. He had had his assumptions that the boy was living on chips and fast food, but as it turns out he had been mistaken.

Donghae took out a few eggs, a few veggies and some bacon, deciding to make himself an omelette. There was also a bottle of orange juice on the fridge door so he poured himself a glass before putting it back in.

He was just mixing the eggs when there was a knock on the door. He jumped a little, startled by the sudden noise.

Kyuhyun had probably forgotten to get something. 'That airhead.' Donghae thought as he went to open the door.

 

He was a total idiot. He realised that now. He had to be stupid to open the door without even checking to see it was actually Kyuhyun. Otherwise he wouldn't be in the situation he was in right now.

The color drained out of his face and he could feel himself getting dizzy. It was too soon. He wasn't ready for this.But there he was, on the other side of the door - no other but Eunhyuk himself.

"How did you find me?" Donghae asked with newfound strength.

"Oh, Hae, please, I'm not stupid. It was easy enough to figure out you would go to that nerd's place." Eunhyuk chuckled."You always come here after we have a little misunderstanding." He finished his voice sounding a bit bitter.

Donghae was speechless. He felt himself getting angrier by the second. 

"Misunderstanding?" Donghae's voice was a bit too high pitched for his liking, but he didn't care right now. He was furious."You call what happened yesterday a misunderstanding?" He felt like he could smack Eunhyuk on the face, but he tried to control himself. "Oh my God, Hyukjae, you're dense! You had your tongue down that guy's throat and you were a few minutes away from ing him in the bathroom and you dare call it misunderstanding?" He was shouting now. His hands were trembling and he wasn't sure if it was because of all the anger building up inside him or just because he finally had the guts to talk back to him, but he didn't have time to dwell on it right now. "Are you trying to make me look like the crazy one? You think I've imagined it?"

"Hae, plea-"

"Don't call me that!" 

"Please," Eunhyuk sighed. "It wasn't like that. I'm not saying you are crazy. It just wasn't like that. He meant nothing. Trust me." He looked at Donghae begging him to drop it. " Let's just go back home and we'll talk about it."

"Yeah, just like I mean nothing. To you at least." Donghae couldn't believe he was actually saying this at last. "I can't believe it took me so long to realise you were such an . If I'm not enough for you, then you don't deserve me. I-I won't let you treat me like trash anymore." He finished with all the strength and determination he had left in him and went to close the door in Eunhyuk's face.

The other wasn't planning on giving up that easily though. He put his foot at the door, successfully stopping it from closing and pushed it back open, managing to get inside the apartment in the meantime.

"Please, babe, stop with this nonsense. You know you can't be without me." He went to grab Donghae's arm but he was quick to shake it off.

"Watch me!" Donghae snapped back at him, pushing the other on the chest, wanting nothing more than to get him out of the apartment. He needed to distance himself from Eunhyuk. He still didn't trust himself completely around him. Part of him was scared last night would repeat itself again. And that was something he definitely didn't want.

As if Eunhyuk could sense his weakness he moved closer to him, trying to make Donghae look him in the eyes, he was trying to manipulate him into forgiving him again. No, Donghae couldn't let that happen. 

"Leave, Hyukjae. Just go home and leave me alone. I'm never going back there with you!" Donghae said, hoping he sounded firm. "Your chance to make things right is long gone now." 

"Don't be like that with me. You can't just decide that you don't love me anymore all of a sudden." He was getting angry, Donghae could feel it.

"I didn't just decide I didn't love you anymore. You just didn't stop making ty decisions, Hyukjae. I just finally got tired of tolerating your crap." Donghae sighed. He was tired. He really wasn't ready to have this conversation yet. He just wanted to get this over with and get back to bed where he could cry his eyes out once again. He just had to go through this with a straight face and then he could break apart. "It is your fault Hyukjae. You broke us. You're the one who just couldn't keep it in his pants; you're the one who made me feel like throughout like ninety percent of our relationship and you're the one who you should blame about me leaving. I didn't want this. I didn't fall in love with you. The guy I fell for could make me laugh, he looked at me as if I was the center of his universe. And this guy is gone. Now all I see is this self centered who tries to keep me with him just because he thinks I belong to him, just because he's used to having me around."

"How can you even think that?" Eunhyuk was furious. At least that's the only thing Donghae could think of. He was breathing heavily and he had clenched his fists so hard his knuckles were white. "You think we should break up just because of that one ing guy? Things like that happen. Important thing is that you're the guy I come home to, you're th-" 

Donghae laughed. That shut Eunhyuk up.

"Wow, Hyukjae. You really are stupid. If you wanna sleep with other guys go ahead. I won't be stopping you anymore. Isn't that what you want? Well there, I'm giving it to you. You can go and be with whoever you ing want... Just not with me."

"And if I want to be with you? Then what?" 

"You already had that. And you messed it up many times."

"You just can't be serious. The only thing that I messed up with was the guy from last night. And I admitted it. I said I was sorry. So can't we just skip all the drama and go to where you forgive me and we go back home. Come on we have a few more hours before we have to go to work. We can go grab something to eat, take a walk, whatever you want." Eunhyuk seemed like he couldn't quite grasp how serious things were, how serious Donghae was about leaving him. For a second there Donghae pitied him. And then he remembered all the crying and the pain in his heart from last night so he was quick to gain his composure.

"Stop being so ridiculous, Hyukjae. You don't even hear how stupid you around right now. You can't fix this. You can't fix us. It's over. Get over it. And just leave me alone." He wanted to cry again, but he managed to control himself and even look his now ex boyfriend in the eyes as he said it.

"Like hell it is." Eunhyuk sounded really pissed right now. He wasn't used to not getting what he wanted from Donghae. "You're the one who sounds ridiculous right now. You can't just say it's over and expect me to walk away without even trying to make it work." He then grabbed Donghae by the arm and tried to pull him towards the front door with him.

"Let go of me, you ." Donghae struggled to get out of his hold." I tried to make it work, but I can't waste any more energy on something that obviously can't be fixed."

He wasn't sure what happened next. He was so fixated on getting out of Eunhyuk's grasp that he didn't realise how he hit the other across the face with his free hand before he had already done it. 

Eunhyuk's face contorted into something unreadable even for Donghae who was pretty used to all his facial expressions by now. He let go of Donghae's arm and pushed Donghae away when the other tried to approach him and apologize.

"I-" Donghae started. " I didn't mean to..." He trailed off, not sure what to say. It didn't matter. 

"No. Its fine." Eunhyuk replied quickly with an ice cold voice, a hand reaching to feel his cheek. His face was red, just like when he was mad." Got it. I will be going then." 

And just like that he walked out and slammed the door behind him, leaving Donghae uncertain of how to feel once again.

 

 

-------------

Sorry its not proofread, so if there are a lot of mistakes its not intentional. -.-

I'll try to write another chapter soon.