Growing and still counting

White Christmas Anniversary

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She woke up too early to prepare. She dressed comfortably. She nagged her two best friends, Yuri and Sooyoung, to help her. She listed everything she needed, from the decorations to the ingredients and even to the little corny things she wanted to put. She wanted all of these to be perfect, she wanted things to go along with her plans. Because it had always been him who does the surprising. Now, she thinks she must do something.

All her life, she has always been busy with her ballet studio. She has always been precise with her movements and expressions. She never did something unplanned. He was always the one who reaches after her. It’s not that it’s a one-sided love. It’s just; she’s this close into reaching her dreams in becoming a renowned ballerina. She loves him so much that she’s willing to sacrifice everything for him. It’s just that someone’s stopping her to do so — her mother whose now long gone.

It was once her mom’s dream. Now, it became hers to fulfil. Her father told her she should have time for herself at least. Her boyfriend agreed. But no, she thought the different way.

It was only now that she realized she must do something instead of someone doing something for her. She checked her watch, 7:57am. 3 more minutes and her phone will ring.

Her phone did ring, just as what she expected but only earlier this time.

“Luhan.” She started; ready to start her white lie.

“Babe, free for tonight?” he asked with much enthusiasm in his voice. She breathed heavily.

“Lulu, I’m sorry. I forgot to tell you, didn’t I? I’m having my Christmas party with my little ballerinas.” She said her white lie. She heard him sigh but she knows he understands. She knows he loves her too much to be mad.

“You did forget, Yoong. Well, I guess I have to spend my Christmas Eve alone this time.” He said with a hint of sadness and disappointment in his voice. She couldn’t help but sigh as well. She really doesn’t want to hurt him. But happier things will come later, she knows that.

“I’m really sorry, Lu. I’ll make it up to you next time. I promise. You see, I have to go. See you soon!” she then hung up leaving him listen to the dead line.

 

She heaved a sigh again. White lie, checked. She thought. Next thing to do, call his best friend, Sehun. After a few rings he picked up.

“Sehun, get ready. I did my part. Now it’s time to do yours.” She said, making him grin on the other line.

“Yes noona. I will, trust me. You know I’m good at this.” He said and just when he was about to hang up, she spoke again.

“And Sehun?” she called.

“Yes?”

“No girls allowed, okay?” after that, she hung up. Smiling to herself, she hummed while getting herself ready to pick up her two best friends.

 

“Good thing, someone knocked on your coconut shell and made you realize that you should spend more time with him.” Sooyoung bluntly stated, making her look down. Yuri smacked her head. They’re done with the groceries and now they’re at a coffee shop.

“Yah! What’s important is now. At least, she now knows what to do. But, I somehow agree with you.” Yuri added to her guilt.

“Luhan, I pity that boy. Always the one who exerts the effort. But I bet he’ll be thrilled later.” Sooyoung continued to which Yuri agreed again.

“Well, that really helped girls. I really needed that encouragement and all.” She sarcastically retorted. She’s not really the one who easily gets hurt by these words. But if it includes Luhan, then it’s a different thing. She heard the other girls sigh.

“Yoong, it’s not that we are favouring Luhan. It’s just that, you’re always busy with ballet that you almost forgot that there are people out there who dearly care for you. Like us.” Sooyoung rebutted softly this time, pointing to her and Yuri at the last word. “Especially Luhan.” She added.

“Yes Yoong. In fact, Luhan even asked for our little help to surprise you. But we had to turn him down. Of course, it’s time for him to be the one who will be surprised.” Yuri said. She just nodded and checked her watch, 11:34am. Noticing her being time conscious, they let her go to prepare further for her special surprise.

 

She arrived at his condominium and was welcomed by his familiar scent. Of course she knows the passcode if you’re wondering how on earth did she enter his condo. She hung her dress on his room so it won’t look crumpled then she started bringing the ingredients out. Before she could forget, she texted Sehun to send him home on or before 10pm.

She planned to make Pajeon (Korean-style pancake), Koatgaetang (Spicy blue crab stew), roasted chicken and his favourite Ojinguh Bokum (Spicy stir-fried squid). For the dessert, she will prepare a chocolate coated crepe with ice cream and strawberry toppings.

She cleaned his unit first though there wasn’t really there to clean with then started putting those scented candles everywhere. She checked the time again; time sure flies by so fast. It’s already 5:43. She then started to cook Koatgaetang and Ojinguh Bokum since these are the longest to cook. She smiled to herself, thinking things are going well.

 

She was almost done cooking at 8 then she wore her newly-bought dress. She played songs of Bruno Mars, his favourite singer. She was busy preparing for the main dishes and everything that she forgot to prepare the appetizer. Just when she realized it, her phone buzzed. She checked it and it was Sehun telling her Luhan is on his way home. She literally panicked; she didn’t expect him to go home early. She started heating the frying pan and preparing the table. The table is settled now, she thought.

The door opened, revealing her boyfriend. They stared at each other for quite a while; both were shocked to see each other.

“Umm, surprise?” she said with an awkward smile. He scrutinized everything then looked back at her who was staring also at him for time knows since when.

“Yoong.” He went towards her then hugged her tightly. She reciprocated the action while still thinking of her fail surprise.  “I missed you. So much.” He continued.

“I missed you more, babe.” She then looked at him. “This was supposed to be a surprise.” She then face palmed.

“Technically, I was surprised.” He said, cooing her. “Let me help you cook that.”

“It’s a fail, isn’t it?” she asked again. He just shooked his head.

“No, everything you do is not a fail. Besides, I was really surprised.” He said then smiled crookedly.

“Stop smiling like that and help me cook. You’re melting me with that smile.” She said while blushing to which he chuckled.

“Exactly what I was about to do. What’s that smell?” he sniffed again. She could smell his favourite food in the air then she smiled. “Is that Ojinguh Bokum?” he asked longingly.

“Yes, my love.” She giggled. “I figured out it was a long time since you ate that. When was that? 3 months ago? And mind you, I wasn’t the one who cooked that when you should only be eating Ojinguh Bokum that I cooked.” She continued, blabbering. Luhan missed this, when Yoona is talking nonstop. He hugged her. She was taken aback but still hugged him back.

“Yes, yes. I know you missed me. But, we don’t want to eat cold food, do we?” she said. He chuckled but eventually let her go.

 

They ate until they got full. They talked nonstop. When they checked the time, it was almost 12.

It’s almost Christmas and at the same time, it’s almost their 7-year anniversary. Almost 7 years and still and will forever be counting. The snow started to fall as she watched the view in awe. When she said her sweet yes to him 7 years ago, it was a white Christmas too.

“Luhan?” she called. Luhan then looked up to her from watching football.

“What is it babe?” he responded. She looked at the clock, 12am.

“Merry Christmas and happy 7th anniversary to the both of us. I love you so much.” She said. Luhan was touched, of course. He stood up and cupped her face then kissed her passionately. When he broke the kiss, he whispered.

“Same to you babe. Happy anniversary and merry Christmas. I love you more than I ever could.” Then they continued their little moment of forever.

 

(A/N: A late Christmas present for my lovely FAWNS. :) I hope you like it. Happy holidays <3)