All I want for Christmas is you

All I want for Christmas is you

Slowly, you made your way around the Christmas tree in the corner of the living room, carefully selecting ornaments to place upon its branches.  A blue round ornament on this branch, engraved with intricate silver designs. A red glass star, glittering in between golden Christmas strung lights. This year, you weren't feeling much of the Christmas spirit because your boyfriend wasn't home. Thanks to your friends who convinced you to arrange a Christmas party, the holidays were somewhat more cheerful. He had gone off to the army for two years, serving his duty to the country.  He would be only gone just for two years, he had tried to convince you to smile and continue living alone for a while, just until he came home. It was difficult at first; having to depend on your group of friends or his own in case you had an emergency.  You had grown accustomed to the nights sleeping alone on the bed you two shared, reading repeatedly the letters he sent every day even when there was not much going on both of your lives.

For a few months after he had left, the tears piled up, dripping upon his handwriting, whether it was quick scribbles or long essays. You missed him terribly, after being in a relationship for over five years, though it couldn't be helped.

"I won’t make it in time for the holidays this year, "he had written last month, "Please wait for me just a bit longer, I'll come home soon."

Awakened by the scent of cinnamon and chocolate that wafted through the kitchen, you shook your head from daydreams and reverted your attention back to the cookies that were for the Christmas Party tonight.  Lost in your thoughts of your boyfriend and his service time, you forgot to wear oven mitts and pulled open the oven to touch a burning tray. 

"Dammit," you swore, shaking your hands, half-skipping to the sink to run the small burn under cold water.  If he were here, you would have been scolded in a gentle voice before getting a hug and a quick kiss on the nose. 

"What are you doing right now Yongguk oppa?" you whispered, staring out the kitchen window at the falling snow that left a cotton soft layer of white over the yard.

 

----

 

Yongguk ran his fingers through his cropped hair, sitting in the cold room heated with a small lamp and reading a few of your letters before heading out to field training that morning.  Sergeant Kim's hand suddenly found his shoulder, but instead of standing up to salute, he was handed another letter, officially sealed with the government's symbol.  

"Good for you Mr. Bang Yongguk, you're going home for the holidays," the Sergeant patted him on the shoulder, "Take care. I'll see you off along with a few other recruits."  

Yongguk pondered for a moment, running his thumb over the letter's message. He couldn't believe it! Astonishingly, he was coming home, his service time completed after two years. The timing was just the thing he needed to bring a present home to the one he loved. "Hyung, you're so lucky," his roommate sat down on the bed next to Yongguk, setting his hat down in disappointment.  

"It's alright; you'll be home in a few months, right?"

The other recruit nodded solemnly, watching Yongguk leisurely pack his things into the large, rough backpack he received on the first day of training.

Only one thing left to pack, he thought, pulling out a stack of about over 500 letters neatly stacked and tied with kite string.

 

----

 

"Dear, are you getting the food prepared for the party? Unnie has her hands full at the moment." 

"Yes, everything is getting cooked here."

You could tell Jieun was running around her apartment, trying to find something to wear. In the end, she would just make a quick trip to the shopping mall and buy the first dress she saw. That was how it always was. Except this year, she had assured you her outfit was completely planned.  You rolled up your sleeves, a small bandage covering stings of the burn, sitting on the tiled kitchen floor and smashing potatoes to cheerful Christmas tunes on the local radio station.

With each beat of the whisk, you recalled the days when Yongguk had chased you around the kitchen trying to catch and tickle you, standing over the stove together making traditional soup for new years, throwing spaghetti noodles on the wall. Two years was not that long, but with drinking a few nights with your friends, it seemed longer. With work, the weeks passed faster, without him, the months were slower. 

 

----

 

"Alright boys it's time to head out!"

Sergeant Kim saluted the group of recruits as they exited the plane. Yongguk kept a stern face as he saluted those of higher ranks, though he received pats on the back and hugs from his fellow servicemen on the way to the exit. He couldn't believe it, after two years he was finally coming home.  It was just a white lie, he convinced himself while he wrote to you, and it would be a surprise. 

"The best present she could ever receive," he whispered aloud.

"What was that Yongguk hyung?" A friend raised his eyebrows, shifting a large backpack while adjusting his hat.

"It's nothing, don’t worry about it," he replied, waving his hand. It was everything.  Yongguk hooked earphones over his ear on the shuttle ride from the airport to the next bus station. From there he would take a three-hour taxi ride to home, where you would be waiting for him. An unexpected visitor, the perfect Christmas surprise.

 

---

 

You sighed, carrying the huge platters of food to the center table and covering them with plastic wrap for the guests who would arrive within the hour. You had put on a deep burgundy dress that stopped slightly above your knees with tights; a rounded black collar trimmed with lace set the neckline, wearing the couple necklace Yongguk bought you three years ago. Everything was just about right, pumpkin spice candles and creamy pumpkin aromas lifting the Christmas atmosphere mixed with the subtle pine of the tree. Various assortments of food set out according to seating arrangement that would be decided by which guest arrived first. Surround-sound speakers cajoled you to dance for a bit as the fireplace crackled, pretending he was there in the warm living room, his deep voice humming Christmas carols in your ear, and holding tightly to your waist while swaying back and forth.

"And everyone is singing, I hear those sleigh bells ringing~♪"

Suddenly, the loud sound of a car door closing echoed nearby while you put the finishing touches above the cream cake on the kitchen counter. No one would be here this early; it was barely before 7 o'clock, the streetlights glowing against the constant fall of snowflakes that graced your windows.

The music continued to play when you opened the front door curtains to see an unexpected taxi dropping off a familiar figure in front of the house. Your hands flew up to cover the 'O' that formed from your cold lips, opening the door to step outside. "Yongguk oppa..."

Everything appeared to happen in slow motion from the snowflakes that kissed your cold stocking feet on the wooden porch to the figure, bowing to the taxi that sped off back into the city lights.

He turned to face you, a huge grin spreading across his face, tucking the beret covering his short dark hair into the side pocket of his jacket, walking up the stairs. He had gotten a bit skinnier, perhaps more toned. He looked tired, perhaps exhausted even, but that gummy smile was all he needed to cover it up.  Yongguk, he was here, he was here! This had to be a dream, this couldn't be true!  "You baby~♪"

"Yongguk!" you called, running to jump into his open arms. He didn’t even make it halfway up the porch stairs before you two had landed back in the white snow.  He was laughing, lying with his back in the snow as you stared in bewilderment and joy.

"Yongguk!" you confirmed, a bright smile paired with tears that filled your eyes.  With his strong hands lifting you in the air, he spun you around before enveloping you in his arms once more. He hugged you tightly, pressing his head above yours, holding you underneath the white powder that sprinkled between the familiar strands of hair. Everything was wonderful, your heart about to burst from the excitement that was held within his comforting embrace.

 

 "Merry Christmas baby," he whispered, kissing your lips softly. "Merry Christmas."

 

 

 

(A/N: I finished this at like 2AM omg I barely had the stamina to stay awake but I did it. Merry Christmas everyone~! mwah~)