5 years

Once a first love, always a first love

Location: South Korea, Seoul, Apujeong, Kona Beans

Time: 21 June 2017, 12.05pm

 

  

I stood outside Kona Beans, my favourite café hang-out, pacing up and down disregarding the massive stares from onlookers.

 

And finally, with a deep breath, I took firmly by the handle and went in. The comfortable and familiar atmosphere and aromatic coffee smell serenaded me.

 

“Gaeul, here!” I glanced around and saw him. Still the same old him. He hasn’t seemed to change a bit these 5 years. I bit my lip nervously and walked towards my ex-boyfriend, my first love.

 

Oh, I’ve yet to introduce myself yet. I’m just a normal 23 years old university student, Kim Gaeul. I shall skip all the unnecessary comments about my character and personality.

 

As to why I was meeting my ex-boyfriend at my favourite café, or should I say “our?” I had no idea. I was surprised to see his text message in the early morning too.

 

Park Jungsoo, nicknamed Leeteuk was my ex-boyfriend and also first love. He was my sunbae so he is 24 now.

 

He was smart, good looking, caring and always giving in to me. Perfect qualities of an ideal boyfriend type. But I dumped him.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Annyong Gaeul. It’s been a long time, how have you been?” Jungsoo flashed me his angelic smile.

 

That smile. That face. That expression. That hair. Everything about him. All of a sudden, memories evoked back; of how we got together, went on dates and eventually broke up due to him leaving for overseas studies.

 

And yes, long distance relationship did not work out for us.

 

Who initiated the breakup? I did. Reason? I felt insecure. I guess my trust in him was not deep enough. Any regrets? I guess I do. That was probably one of the reasons why I did not have a boyfriend these 5 years. My feelings for him did not fade throughout these years.

 

“I am fine. How about you?” I smiled.

 

“Definitely good.” Jungsoo grinned.

 

It seemed easy for Jungsoo to disperse the awkward atmosphere between us. It did not feel like we did not meet for 5 years at all.

 

It was a good catch-up session afterall. We chatted about everything; school life, current life, friends, and teachers except for our once-upon-a-time relationship.

 

I was not sure if Jungsoo was avoiding it but I guess this was better for the both of us. I had to bottle up all my questions and doubts of how he was after our break-up, yet I could not bring myself to ask. I mean, it’s been 5 years; there isn’t a need to rub salt on his wound again right.

 

“Ah Gaeul, I actually wanted to pass you this.” Jungsoo smiled and passed it to me.

 

My eyes widened in shock when realization struck me.  

 

“Invitation to Park Jung Soo and Lee Minhee wedding”

 

“You’re getting married?!”

 

I was taken aback when I saw who the bride was. LEE MINHEE. My close friend.

 

What in the world was going on???

 

Before I could ask anything, Jungsoo was in a rush. To where? His wedding photoshoot.

 

His last words to me were “Really hope to see you there.”

 

I was in a total state of confusion.