A Rose By Any Other Name

A Rose By Any Other Name [Oneshot]

 

What matters is what something is, not what it is called.
 
X
 
The light of the day had just began to enter the stratosphere. Rays and shards of warmth cascaded down and all outside basked in it's wonder. Spring. The season. The creek. The jump full of energy. All signify birth, growth, and life.
 
Life.
 
Life.
 
Something the wandering boy no longer knew anything about.
 
Completely oblivious to the bright yellow bulb in the sky, to the chatter of lively beings around him, to the simple pleasure of being able to feel a breath enter and exit lungs. Yet breathing was of no use to the walking corpse. His heart hung low in his chest, connected only by strings of hope and false beliefs of what could be. It knew not what beating was, that subconscious pounding that was supposed to keep you alive, for he was no longer that to anyone around him.
 
He staggered over to that large, granite block centered on a small square of freshly planted grass. The gold plating of the letters on the front stood out to him, yet even if he were blind he could still read them. Implanted in his heart, imbedded into his soul and etched into his cracked skin.
 
The boy could only read the first two words before erupting into a shattered mess of emotions and feelings that should have faded when he did but only got stronger as the moons set.
 
"Here lies..."
 
And he would stop. Midsentence, midthought, and stare at anything but the image in front of him that was haunting him, taunting him, begging for his attention.
 
It would receive anything but. Tears would try to form but nothing would settle in his eyes except the faint memories that replayed themselves over and over again. As if it were a game to see how long it took him to go crazy, insane, mental.
 
Yet the second his other half disappeared from this earth, his mind did too.
 
Palms ripped at tips of greenery and fists pounded into the soil. Feet below was his beloved, his precious rose. Screams of pain ripped from chapped lips and those around him felt his pain, empathized with him, yearned with him- they had known loss as well.
 
Fingers scraped against the layer of dirt, thinking that maybe, just maybe, it would get him an inch closer. A foot deeper. A touch further.
 
That unfamiliar salty liquid gathered at the corner of his blinded eyes and tricked him into believing that perhaps he still was human. Perhaps this was all a fatal dream and he would wake up soon.
 
Resting arms lay wrapped around stacked knees;
 
One lone drop of illness cascades down, drenching his exhausted entity.
 
X
 
Unknown identities play a hiding game and neither one of them know they lose until introductions escape unsure lips. Uncertainties are proven wrong and a secret smile appears here and there. No amount of counting can tell either how much their heart rate has sped up since the first syllable was spoken. Unplanned meetings occurred and neither complained about how much they both seemed to be seeing of each other lately. Unorthodox glances and grins and smiles of sorts scattered around nervous bodies, cut off to the rest of the word by this new string that tied itself to their fingertips.
 
Suns spring while moons fall and only time can tell how many days had passed since their first glance. New life grows from roots and blossoms flourish, answering that question yet either were too busied to notice, to care.
 
Fingertips tentatively trace the outlines of palms and oh-so-accidentally does a hand slip into the other's. This simple touch bids heartbeats to skyrocket and the bubbling happiness is too much to contain when soothing circles get rubbed over knuckles. Fresh oxygen fills the cool air and both take a walk to enjoy this weather as much as they can. Legs travel comfortably and hands brush against each other every so often, creating a buzz that softly shocks their insides. A billowing bush of blooms catches eyes and the walking ceases, time stopping to enjoy the colorful sight in front of them. Flowers of all sorts fill the bed, and the elder bends down to pick his favourite. Bright white teeth sparkle when happiness flows from his curving lips, proudly showing off his newfound possession.
 
The younger stares in wonder not at the object in the other's hand, but at the outright beauty radiating off of the being in front of him. Soft, pure skin reflects the light of day; large, smiling eyes stare into his, wondering what had gotten the younger so speechless. Shyness struck the one holding the flower, and he looked down as pink dusted his cheeks. Fingers fiddled with the item in his hand and soon did a sharp, sudden pain strike his palm. A hurt frown replaced his earlier smile, and a single crimson drop formed from the now open wound.
 
The other instantly grabbed onto the perpetrator and threw it to the ground, bright red pedals breaking and brutally scattering in the wind. He captured the injured hand in his and brought it to his worried lips. Connecting the two, he kissed away the pain.
 
Lips stayed on skin and his eyes gently lifted to find the elder's still saddened gaze upon his. Words of displeasure over the younger's actions hesitantly left his lips, lightly scolding him for doing such a thing. It was an innocent life form, undeserving of it's untimely death. The one speaking looked to the ground in time to see the lone last petal flutter away in the breeze. He gestured to the other blossoms in the green and soft murmurs of thoughts poetically left his lips. Words of beauty and equality about each bloom being beautiful in its own way- each flower would smell as sweet as the next.
 
The taller had just wanted to hurt the thing that hurt his shining star but apologized nonetheless. He didn't quite understand how something so miniscule could be so important to him but decided not to question it and focus on the hand that was still in his. A smirk crept up on his lips after having instantly caught the heavy blush on the other's cheeks. Bodies crept closer and the itching desire to make hearts race and cheeks flush bid one's lips a millimeter away from the other's. Shy glances came his way and nervous lips shook. The new thought of being gentle was now imprinted on his mind, and judging by the elder's timidness, he would ease into showing his love.
 
Changing his mind quickly, the younger lifted his lips to the tip of his nose, and gave it a light, soft kiss.
 
The heat multiplies and any possibility of precipitation fades while the feelings between the two rise. Blistering rays become too much and both take cover in a secret, secluded tide pool near the dancing waves. Bare chests show and the elder is so mesmerized he forgets to respond to any questions coming to him. Distractions are needed and suddenly does a body scoot closer to the other. Inches close and only centimeters remain, making the shorter come back to reality only to freeze in place.
 
Gazes meet and one's hand raises to cup the other's cheek, the skyrocketing heartbeat of the elder able to be felt by simply grazing the skin of his neck. The mix of hydrogen and oxygen mingling below their waists does nothing to cool the burning environment between the two. Bashful eyes blink and a certain person's head leans into the touch. That colorful fluid collects in his cheeks and once more does he find himself looking down, unable to meet the glance of perfection awaiting him. 
 
That word appears in the younger's head again: gentle. And instead of shoving his love onto the elder, he would be exactly that once more. Raised lips met the other's heated forehead and pressed lightly. Countless seconds passed but he dare not remove them, attempting to embed every ounce of feeling and care he had into the shorter's racing heart.
 
Temperatures cool to bearable levels and every so often a violent chill will take over the morning air. Warm shades of oranges and browns fill every household and children have more content, comfortable smiles upon their faces. Holidays approach and smiles are supposed to appear but somehow the air feels different; colder.
 
Fingers intertwine as the two walk down a hidden pathway, leading through the trees. Observing the fallen leaves brings beauty upon the two, rich colors invading their senses as the fresh smell of oak fills their noses. Steps continue and soon does the younger notice an incredibly subtle limp in the other's stride, easily going unnoticed if you hadn't paid close attention ahead of time. Shaky fingertips appear out of no where and a flustered frame retracts his hand, making an excuse that perhaps it's just too cold, too unfamiliar, too soon.
 
The taller refuses any explanation and takes the hand back, holds it in his, watches it tremble in his hold. He is not an imbecile; he knows the stuttering movements aren't caused by him, but that they are involuntary and can't be helped. Words of worry flow from his mouth and fretful eyes search for the elder's gaze that was, once again, placed upon the floor. 
 
Wanted questions would not be answered and the desire to know only grew large. The two now stand halted under the scattered light that shone through the leftover leaves. The taller refuses to move, to flinch, to breathe until he gets an explanation and doesn't take long to realize that one wouldn't come. A pallid face glances up at one of the final leaves left, staring as the breeze loosens its stem and has it fluttering away in the wind in seconds. Soon he looks at the taller and for the first time the younger was able to see him. To truly see him, his mind, his soul. To observe the beauty that made up this graceful being, this half to his whole.
 
Thoughts and minutes pass as one and suddenly does the younger pull the other against him, flush against his chest, fully against his heart. Arms wrap around one another and no words need to be said, an explanation desired but not required. Once again does the taller find himself wanting to give his love. A soft hand is brought up to caress a worried cheek, and finds still cautious, coy eyes upon his. That one word echo's in the back of his mind and he knows it is the right thing to do. He would kiss him fully only when he was ready. For now, he placed a love-filled kiss upon the elder's blushing cheek.
 
Fierce winds bluster and the absence of heat has never been so evident. All life that had been so prominent during the blooming season now lay frozen or dead in the exact same spot they had been born. Layers upon layers help none as brutal chills travel straight to bones. The elder's body becomes so frail that fear starts to seep in. He had kept the secret for so long, had worn thick clothes to hide his weight loss, had worn fake smiles to hide his inner turmoil. No longer could he do this as weary eyes caught on to every ounce of pain he was trying to hide. The two lay on a soft, relaxing mattress under mixed layers of blankets and sheets. Limbs intertwined together in a fretful attempt to keep in and share any form of body heat. The taller's forehead rested against his and the tips of their noses touched as well, sending smiles upon both pairs of faces from the simple joy of being in each others embrace.
 
The younger took this time to finally accomplish what he had wished to do for so long. Without hesitation he connected their lips, both giving and receiving as much emotion and passion as their souls could muster. A breathtaking first kiss that would be their last.  Seconds merged into minutes, minutes into hours and soon exhales grew faint. The simple motion of a rising and falling chest never seemed so hard to accomplish, and that subconscious beat that was supposed to occur began to sputter.
 
With his last breath did the elder whisper the forgotten words of Spring.
 
 
X
 
 
Violent shudders of sadness racked the taller's frame and he raised his head from his pale arms. The instant he looked up his eyes lay upon the last words of his lover, the quote he lived his life by, the syllables that would forever be etched into his memory.
 
 
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."