Task 1: The Tree

Dream Kirakirado┊—Oneshot Factory

"Help..."

 

"Help me..."

 

"I really like that voice..."


 

"Maki, you heard that?" Hyera looked up from her crosswords book. Maki jumped.

"Heard what? Don't scare me, Hyera!" she covered her face with her petite hands.

"I heard it" Taegoo ran to Hyera's lap. She reached Taegoo's neck and put him back to the table. Then she walked to her closet and wore her fortune-teller uniforms. Reaching her sharp-tipped hat, she put her workers inside her bag.

"Bring me to the person in need" she closed her eyes and mouthed those words. Then she opened her eyes again.

 

"Where are we?" Taegoo asked while carefully jumped down from Hyera's bag. Maki followed him.

"I think we're in a park" Hyera looked her surroundings. "So... Where is this person..."

I'm here...

She followed the voice. Taegoo and Maki trailed behind her, looking around like some idiots.

I'm here... Help me...

They stopped in front of a big tree. A big tree without any flower. Hyera walked around the tree and found nobody. Scratching her head, finally she realized something.

"You are the one in need" she patted the tree, smiling. Something she rarely did.

Yes, finally you realize it...

Maki and Taegoo looked at Hyera, disbelief glistened on their face. How could this girl even talked to a tree?

"So, what do you want?" Hyera sat in front of the tree, gesturing Taegoo and Maki to do the same.

I--I... I fell in love... His voice always fill my days. I like his voice, and I'm sure I'll like him too. I love his voice. He sings everyday, and I love his voice. I'm in love with him. He lived in the hospital behind me, and he always opens his windows, that's why I always hear him singing.

Hyera looked behind the tree and found a tall building, which she noticed as a hospital later. She nodded to the tree.

"And?" she asked.

I wish I'm a human, so that I can talk to him, I can touch him, I can say that I love him...

"Oh" Hyera placed her palm on her chin, indicating that she's thinking. Maki interrupted her.

"How about Tears of Moon Maiden?" she shook Hyera's arm. Hyera looked at her in approval, then rummaged her bag for something. Taegoo peeked to see her bag.

"This" Hyera pulled a pendant from her bag. "Is Tears of Moon Maiden" she showed the pendant to the tree.

"I'll give this to you. You'll be a human until the next full-moon" she explained. "Which means next 10 days. Are you sure you want this?"

Oh, thankyou. Even for only 10 days, I'll be very happy to meet him. Please, give that to me. I'll give you everything for that.

"Fine. Since you don't have any flower, would you give me one of your leaves?" Hyera opened the tube.

Okay, take this...

One of the leaves from the tree flew away. Taegoo caught it and put it inside Hyera's bag. Hyera stood up and poured the blue fluorescent liquid to all over the tree's trunk.

 

 

The tree woke up and found herself on the ground where she usually stood proudly. She looked around and found a tree behind her. She finally knew that her actual body as a tree remained still, only her soul traveled to this body. A girl's body.

She looked at both of her hands. Flipping her hands over and over, a bright smile decorated her beautiful face. She stood up nervously and found herself in a white, long-sleeved dress that stopped right on her knees. She also realized that she was wearing a pair of white ankle boots and a pair of white gloves.

"Aaa..." she tried to listen to her own voice. And she liked it. "Thankyou" she closed her eyes, directing the words to Hyera, who helped her becoming a human. Then she walked into the hospital.

 

'Woah' she mouthed right after she walked in. How could a hospital be this luxurious?

Pressing the button to the 5th floor, she stood awkwardly in the lift. She knew that her man was treated on the 5th floor because of an overheard conversation in his room. The people in the lift looked at her in awe, how could an angel come here?

She stepped out from the lift as a 'ding!' song beeped. Just then, confused feelings crept to her mind. She didn't know where exactly was the owner of the brilliant voice treated. Walking along the corridor puzzledly, she found an opened door. She peeped inside the room.

A boy sat on a bed, backing her. His spiky black hair fell messily, making a y look, even from behind. He was wearing blue pajamas with white stripes, long-sleeved like hers. She looked around the room. It was decorated all white, just like any ordinary hospital room.

She was ready to leave when the boy started singing.



Gaseum gadeuk.han geudae heunjeok
Nareul soomshwigae haeyo
Dal.bit.chae gin bami modu mooldeulmyeon
Hye.eonal su eopneun gidarin da kkeutchi nalkkayo
Gijeokeul bileo mootgo dap.haeyo

O geudae mamae datgo shipeun nal malhaji mot.hae
Shirin gooreum dwi.ae garin byeolbitdeul.cheoreom
Saranghae ipsool kkeutae maemdoldeon apeum gobaek
Modu kkeutnae noonmulae heulleo

Shimjangae datneun ee hwasaleun eejen nae mom gatgaetjyo
Jukeul mankeum neomu apado
Nae mamae bak.hin geudaereul kkeonael su eopnaeyo
Sarangeeraseo nan sarangeeraseo

Na geudael gatji mot.haedo nae mami kkeutnae
Seulpeun inyeonae byeok apaegaromak.hyeodo
Saranghae barabol suman itneun gosiramyeon
Geudaen nae jeonbunikka

Su maneun bam jisae.ooda
Nae noonmul gateun byeol.bit.chi
Meotji anneun biga dwaemyeon
Gieok.haeyo naega saranghaetdan geol

Na geudael gatji mot.haedo nae mami kkeutnae
Seulpeun inyeonae byeok apaegaromak.hyeodo
Saranghae barabol suman itneun gosiramyeon
Geudaen nae jeonbunikka

Na geudael gatji mot.haedo nae mami kkeutnae
Seulpeun inyeonae byeok apaegaromak.hyeodo
Saranghae barabol suman itneun gosiramyeon
Geudaen nae jeonbunikka

Himgyeopji anayo, oh no
Nae geudaera geudaenikka
Apado oolryeodo saranghae

(Lyrics: SHINee- Quasimodo)



She froze. That was the voice. The voice that always haunt her. The voice that always called her. The voice she loves.

Walking into the room nervously, she stood beside the boy's bed. The boy looked at her with his puppy-like eyes.


"Who are you?" he asked.

"I- I'm..." she stuttered. She didn't know anything about this name thing. "I'm... Josephine. Call me Jo" she blurted out a name she has ever heard. He nodded.

"And what are you doing here?" he asked again.

"I... I always like your voice" she looked down. "I want to know you more"

The boy didn't answer her, he lay down on his bed instead. He pulled his blanket over his face so that his face was covered by the blanket. She blinked, she didn't think that the owner of the voice she adores is this closed.

"Ehm... I--" she stuttered again.

"Go. Just go" he ordered.





"Gyaaaahhh!" she stomped her feet to the ground. "I couldn't believe an arrogant boy like him has that awesome voice!"

She leaned to the big tree, which was used to be her. Cursing herself mentally, she sat down on the ground, still leaning against the tree. Her face softened when she looked up, to the opened window on the 5th floor. Her mind traveled to the moment she heard him singing.

"His voice is so melodious, indeed. But it doesn't mean that he must be an arrogant boy, right?" she mumbled. "Ugh. Maybe I should try again. Yes! I should try again tomorrow!" she pumped her fist to the air. "Fighting for myself!"





"Hello!" she ran to stand beside his bed, this time bringing a bouquet of flowers. White roses. A smile hovered her small lips. "How are you today?" she placed the flowers inside a vase on a table beside his bed.

"Why did you come again?" he asked irritatingly.

"Because I want to know you more!" she smiled, showing her white sparkling teeth. "So, let's start with name. What's your name?"

"And what will I get if I tell you?" he muttered.

"Okay, so your name is And What Will I Get If I Tell You. I'll just call you And, okay? Your name is so long" she spoke. He sighed.

"Fine, fine. My name is Kim Jonghyun. Satisfied?" he tsk-ed. "Now go"

"I won't" she smiled. "You like singing, right? I like to sing too. Let's sing together, just this once" she stuck out her index finger. "Please?"

"Please, just go" Jonghyun sighed. "I won't sing with a stranger" he added.

"Pleaseee?" she put on her puppy eyes, which was nothing compared to Jonghyun's. Jonghyun failed to stifle his laugh and ended up letting out a little laugh. "Please, Kim Jonghyun-ah?"

"Fine" Jonghyun smiled, the first time since they met. "What song?"

She thought for a moment before started singing.

"So many things to do and say
But I can't seem to find my way
But I wanna know how
I know I'm meant for something else
But first I gotta find myself
But I don't know how"

Jonghyun smiled. He started to harmonize his voice with hers. This is his favorite song, how could she knew?

"Oh, why do I reach for the stars
When I don't have wings
To carry me that far?
I gotta have roots before branches
To know who I am
Before I know who I wanna be
And faith
To take chances
To live like I see
A place in this world
For me

Sometimes I don't wanna feel
And forget the pain is real
Put my head in the clouds

Oh, start to run and then I fall
Thinkin' I can't get it all
Without my feet
On the ground"

Jonghyun stopped singing, knowing that this is her part.

"There's always a seed
Before there's a rose
The more that it rains
The more I will grow"

Inhaling, he started harmonizing to her voice again.

"I gotta have roots before branches
To know who I am
Before I know who I wanna be
And faith
To take chances
To live like I see
A place in this world
For me"

Jonghyun stopped again. He memorized this whole song, and this time it's her part.

"Whatever comes I know how to take it
Learn to be strong I won't have to fake it
Oh, you're understandin'
The wind can come and do its best
Blow me north, and south, east and west
But I'll still be standing
I'll be standing"

He harmonized again, a little surprised to see a teardrop trickled down her face.

"If I have roots before branches
To know who I am
Before I know who I'm gonna be
And faith
To take chances
To live like I see
A place in this world

I gotta have roots before branches
To know who I am
Before I know who I wanna be
And faith
To take chances
And live like I see
A place in this world
For me"

She wiped the tears that fell down before giving a sweet ending to the song.

"I gotta have
Roots before branches"

(Source: Glee- Roots before Branches )

 

"I really like your voice" she said, sticking out her thumbs. "No, I love your voice"

Jonghyun unconsciously smiled. "Thanks. I like your voice too. Are you a singer?" he asked.

"Me? Singer?" she pointed at herself. "No no, I'm just a tree-- I mean a normal girl" she stuttered. "And you? I bet you're a famous singer. Your voice is so good!" she praised again.

"Yes, I was a singer" Jonghyun smiled bitterly. "I was"

Her smile faded after seeing Jonghyun's bitter smile. She sat beside Jonghyun on his bed, and Jonghyun seemed to be okay with it. "What happened?" she asked softly.

"They replaced me" he said. "This" he moved the vase a little and showed a photo frame which was hidden behind it. "Is my band" he spoke.

She stared at the photo. 5 handsome boys was there, with Jonghyun in the middle. His hair was blonde, unlike now.

"Because of my illness, they replaced me" he explained. "That easy. Nobody cares about me" he raked his hair with his fingers. "Even my bandmates didn't know if I exist" tears started b in his eyes.

She was speechless. She didn't know what to say. Patting Jonghyun's back, she lay her head on his shoulder.

"It's going to be okay, I swear" she looked out the windows, and suddenly realized something. "You see that tree?" she pointed at her tree self outside.

"Yeah" Jonghyun answered weakly.

"You know that tree didn't have any flowers, right?" she asked.

"Hm" Jonghyun nodded.

"If that tree started flowering, would you promise me that you'll be healthy?" she smiled. Jonghyun looked at her in disbelief.

"But that tree never flowered before. I've been treated for 3 years and--"

"Promise me, and I promise that the tree will be flowered next 2 weeks" she demanded.

"But--"

"Just promise me"

"But-- Fine, I promise" he looked at the unflowered tree.

 

 

 

 

"I come again!" she greeted. Jonghyun looked up from his novel and smiled.

"It's been 6 days you came here. Don't you have anything to do outside?" he put the novel under his pillow.

She thought for a while. "Hm... You want to accompany me?"

"What?" he asked.

"You asked me don't I have anything to do outside,right? If I do, would you accompany me?" she asked back. "You want ice cream? I like ice cream!" she invited, eventhough she didn't have any money in her pocket. Actually, her dress didn't even have any pocket.

"I'd like to! My treat, okay?" Jonghyun stood up, making her to relief because she didn't have to pay. "Let me change first" he shoo-ed her outside. And she did.

Closing the door, she stood by it with her hands behind her back. She fixed her hair from tangled ends and looked at the ceiling. Just then, a person with doctor uniforms approached her and tried to open the door when she held his hand.

"I'm sorry, but the patient here is changing" she told the doctor. The doctor stared at her, as if she was an alien from the outer space.

"Are you his family?" the doctor asked. She raised a brow.

She decided to lie. "Yeah, why?"

"Thank God. It's been 3 years. Since he was treated here, nobody visited him. You're the first one. So now, I'll tell you--"

"Wait" she cutted him. "3 years? Nobody visited him?"

"Yeah. He was famous, but nobody cares for him. Now would you please if I tell you his condition?"

Her mind spinned. His suffering is sure so deep...

"Miss?" the doctor called.

"Uh, yeah? Oh, yes, please. Tell me his condition" she let out a small smile.

"So, he was brought here 3 years ago due to a brain cancer"

Her eyes widened. She has ever heard about brain cancer. One thing she knew, brain cancer is dangerous.

"And these 3 years, his condition is not getting better, and I'm afraid we won't see him again in a while..."

The next words from the doctor didn't enter her ears anymore. The only thing in her mind now is him. Jonghyun. She won't see him again in a while. That means... he'll die in a while.

A loud thud shattered her heart into pieces. Her eyes started b with tears. She felt like the world is going to eat her alive. It was so painful, knowing that the person she loves will leave her soon.

Yeah, maybe she fell in love with him.

She indeed fell in love with him.

And she didn't want to lose him.

She fell on her knees, knowing that the doctor has walked away. Burying her face in her hands, she started crying. Crying her sadness out. She cried because she didn't want to lose him. She cried because she cared for him. She cried because she wanted him to stay. She cried because she fell in love with him.

 

 

 

 

 

(Now please listen to Baek Ji Young- Don't forget )

"Josephine?" Jonghyun walked to the big tree, which has her in front of it. "You told me you're busy and now you call me here?" he showed her a piece of paper, which contained an invitation from her to come to the big tree.

"Jonghyun" she called, the moonlight lighted her pale face. "It's been 9 days since we first met, right?"

"Yeah" Jonghyun nodded. "So... why did you call me here? In the night?"

"I want to... tell you something" she walked forward until she stood right in front of Jonghyun. "I'm sorry I didn't flower these 3 years. I only decorated your windows with green and yellow color of my leaves. I promised I will try to flower for you. I..." she trailed off. "I love you"

Jonghyun stared at her. Nothing came out from his mouth.

"Yes. I'm the tree" she looked down. "I'm sorry I lied to you..." Her tears dropped to the ground. "I didn't mean to do--"

Jonghyun tipped her chin upwards with his fingers, then crashed his lips with hers. Sealed with a kiss.

Her eyes widened as his lips started making movement to hers. Jonghyun's closed eyes opened a little, glaring ily at her. Her heart jumped out. Jonghyun then closed his eyes again, enjoying the kiss deeply, leaving her dumbfounded. Rubbing her hair, as if telling her to enjoy the kiss like he did, Jonghyun pressed his lips rougher to hers. She tried to hold her wince and ended up closing her eyes. Starting to forget the pain, she finally suceeded to enjoy the kiss. The kiss changed to small pecks, before she coughed due to her lack of oxygen. She pulled back, coughing. Jonghyun laughed.

"Hhhh..." she tried to control her breath. Jonghyun hugged her.

"Now how? Feeling better?" he asked, patting her back.

She blushed. Slowly but sure, she reached out her hands to hug him back.

"You know..." he said. "I don't care if you're a tree or anything, I love you too and I want you to know that"

 

 

 

 

She stared at Jonghyun's flawless face on her lap. The moonlight shone brightly to his face. He's so cute when sleeping, she thought.

A teardrop fell down from her eyes. She wouldn't be able to touch him like this again, she wouldn't be able to call him again, she wouldn't be able to hug him again, and she wouldn't be able to kiss him again.

"Hey" a voice interrupted her thinkings. She looked around and found Hyera, Maki and Taegoo. "I came here to make sure that the process occurs smoothly" Hyera talked.

"But I--"

"I'm sorry, I couldn't fulfill any of your wish again" Hyera demanded.

"But--"

"One wish per person" Hyera spoke. Maki looked at her with a pity look.

"Give my life for him" she blurted out in exasperation. Hyera, Maki and Taegoo looked at her in disbelief.

"What?" Hyera asked, not sure of what she heard.

"He's going to die soon. Even if I transform back into a tree again, if he wasn't there for me... I'd rather die" she smiled bitterly. "So please, give my life for him" she wiped her flowing tears. "I beg you, please"

"I can't" Hyera snapped.

"Please" she kept crying.

"I told you I can't" Hyera said.

"Hyera!" Maki yelled. Hyera looked at her, surprised. "If you don't fulfill this girl's wish, I'll leave you!"

"Me too" Taegoo followed Maki. Maki smirked.

"Fulfill her wish now, come on!" Maki ordered.

Hyera shook her head.

 

 

Jonghyun's eyes snapped open. A soft material caressed his skin, and he didn't find her around him. He quickly looked up and found out that snow fell down all over him. Wait... this isn't snow, he thought.

Flower petals!

He jerked up and realized that the unflowered tree has flowered now. Beautiful white flower petals fell down from the tree.

"Josephine..." he called. "Josephine, where are you? This is not funny!" he worrily looked around to find his love. "Josephine!!" he yelled. "Josephine!!!"

 

 

 

 

"This is amazing" the doctor smiled while giving Jonghyun the x-ray result of his head. "Your brain cancer just dissapear like that. Thanks to God" he smiled. "You may go home now"

"Thanks" Jonghyun excused himself from the doctor's room and entered his room.

He packed his things into his suitcase. These 3 years has been the most difficult years for him. And his suffering just dissapeared. Looking out from his windows, he walked there.

"I kept my promise, right?" he talked to the tree. "You have flowered, and I'm healthy now" he smiled. "But it's nothing if you're not here..." he wiped his eyes roughly, preventing his tears from falling down.

"I'm here, Jonghyun"

A voice interrupted his eardrums. Look, I'm hallucinating about her, Jonghyun thought.

"I love you" he talked to the tree again. Just then, he felt a pair of hands wrapped around him. Shocked, he turned around.

"I love you too" she kissed Jonghyun's cheek. Jonghyun's mouth fell agape.

"Jo... Josephine..."

She kissed him, cutting everything he'll say. Sealed with a kiss, just like what he did to her.

 

 

 

 

"How did you do that?" Maki asked Hyera after looking at the fortune ball. "You revived her?"

"I told you, Maki" Hyera smiled. "We're magical" she handed Maki a piece of paper. Maki read it.

 

Dear Grim-Reaper,

Don't take Josephine the Tree's soul. I know you know her. I'll give you my Thunder ring if you don't take her. Thanks.

-Song Hyera

 


So... This is my first oneshot ever! Hope you like it ^^

Comments and subscribers will be welcomed nicely :)