Babycakes For Kyung Soo

Babycakes For Kyung Soo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               "Heenjabuja!" Someone called and I knew it was her—my nineteen-year-old neighbor, Kim Ami. No one's calling me by that nickname except her. It was used to be a name prank when we were kids, but she liked it so much to call me like that. We used to hang out together when we were kids but our closeness had ended when we both entered highschool. It started when our classmates teased us all the time that we were sweethearts. Since then, Ami wouldn't walked with me together for school and I didn't care of it at all. We're grown ups, anyway. We know every single corners of Busan.

                    I turned around and waited for her. Her hair fell carelessly around her shoulders. I remembered how I used to brush my fingers unto her soft hair. "You need anything?" Quirking my eyebrows, I asked. "This is the first time you talk to me this month. What? You only need something from me once a month?" I crossed my elbows together. "Or you just want a Christmas gift from me?"

                    She beamed sheepishly. "Well, blame everything to our classmates who keep on teasing us everytime they see us talking together." She countered back. She was right. It was kinda awkward being teased with someone you know all of your life whom you see as a friend.

                     I sighed. "I don't have money to buy you a Christmas gift."

                     "Well, I only need your time." She said.

                     "You're freaking me out. What is it?"

                     She smiled sweetly. "Teach me how to bake a cake please.."

                     I cracked up. "Are you kidding me? You're the worst cook ever!"

                     "Wow, thanks for the insult." She said sarcastically. "That's why I want you to teach me!" She stomped her foot. "I promised mom I would bake a cake this Christmas but I wouldn't be able to make a delicious one without your help."

                     "You shouldn't promised in the first place." He hit me with her book. "Ouch!"

                     "Can you just please consider helping me?"

                     I grinned."What if I don't?" I saw her pouted and I chuckled. "Okay. Get your in the kitchen Saturday morning."

                     "Did we just saw them talking?" I overheard Samantha and Bambi, Ami's friend, staring at us wide-eyed and with a knowing smile on their faces. "Aww, so sweet!"

                     Ami's eyes rolled. "Shut up both of you." She said over her shoulder. She then looked at me and mouthed, "See you this Saturday." I nodded my head before she turned around and walked away.

 

 

 

                SATURDAY, 9:46 A.M

                     "You're late." I squinted at her the moment she opened the kitchen door.

                     "Late?" She scoffed. "As far as I can remember, we didn't agreed what time I should be here." She passed through me and placed the plastic bag she brought on the table. "Shall we start now?" She asked. "Ugh, where's everyone?" She asked when she noticed the house were silent.

                     "Mom's shopping with Chemi. I'm all alone." I responded. Ami knew Chaemi, she's my younger sister. "But don't worry, I won't do anything bad to you." I pursed my lips together.

                      She rolled her eyes before she wore the pink apron from her bag and prepared the ingredients. I sat on the kitchen chair in front of her. I told her the proper things she should do. "Don't forget to grease the pan with butter okay?"

                      "Hmm? Why should I?"

                      "To avoid sticking."

                      "Oh, okay." She muttered. I noticed she was so eager to learn. I couldn't help but to chuckle softly. I remembered how her cookies tasted when she attempted to impress her family last Christmas. She tried but it ended up a failure. It doesn't taste bad, but you can really taste the salt and it was almost burned.

                       Shaking my head off, I moved beside her and watched her eagerly. My nose caught up the fragrance of her body wash that made me want to nuzzle my nose against her nape. She smelled like lavender. I cleared my throat. "So, what do I gain from helping you? Nothing?"

                       She looked at me and smiled sheepishly. "Is that okay?"

                       My nose flared. "No." But she laughed. She knew I was joking. "Why do you suddenly want to learn how to bake a cake?"

                       "I told you I promised mom." She said, eyes focused on what she was doing. "I just don't want to feel embarrass again like what happened last year."

                        I couldn't contain my laugh. She watched me as I laughed my head off. She was mad, but she can't do anything. "Don't worry, Ami, you made last year's Christmas an enjoyable one." She scooped a handfull of batter and tossed it towards my face. Good thing, I jerked away in time.

                        "Yah!" She snapped. "You're not even funny!" I don't want to make her feelings worst so I stopped and helped her again.

                        "Well, they say, a way to a man's heart is to feed his stomach." I grinned. "So are you doing this so you could enter my heart?"

                         Her eyes squinted at me. "Ha-ha, funny." She muttered sarcastically.

                         Still grinning, I touched her hair and twirled it around my finger. "Ami, don't you miss those times when we used to hang out together?" I asked even before I could think about it.

                         She looked at me and with a soft voice, she said, "I do miss those times. If only our classmates would stop teasing us together."

         

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter