They're Just Kids: Part 1

The Lake

It was where we first met...

 

"C'mon, Kyu!" Changmin shouted. "Can't you fix that toy later?"

"Yeah! You've been working on it all frickin' day!" Minho agreed.

Kyuhyun glared at them and said, "Don't rush me." He put the toy in his backpack. "It's for the Secret Santa thing at school. It broke, so now I'm trying my best to fix it. Or else he's going to cry."

"Oh, by the way, who'd you guys get?" Changmin asked.

"I got Kim Ryeowook. He really looks like a girl. And he's really sensitive like one," Kyuhyun groaned. Changmin and Minho laughed. "Aww, come on, Kyu. If you give him a chance, you could be friends and braid each other's hair," Minho joked. They all laughed.

"Who'd you guys get?" Kyuhyun asked. "I got Yunho," Minho answered. "I got Victoria," Changmin said.

"Dang. You're lucky, Changmin," Kyuhyun sighed. "Kyu, you've been crushing over her for over two years now. If you're not going to make a move, just find some other girl to crush over," Changmin said. Minho nodded.

"Yah, I know. It's just that... my dad really wants me to focus in school before I get into a relationship. Besides, we're just in the fifth grade. She's only a simple crush," Kyuhyun said. Changmin and Minho rolled their eyes.

"Hey, let's play now," Minho said. They all agreed. "Hide and seek?" Changmin asked. "Yeah! But let's make it more interesting," Kyuhyun said.

He told them to follow him. They sighed, kind of scared of what he was thinking of. They all walked in front of the forest. "K-Kyu, our parents told us not to go in th-there," Minho said, scared. "Yeah. What if we get l-lost in there?" Changmin asked.

Kyuhyun smirked and asked, "Are you two chickens afraid to go?"

"Don't call us chickens," they snapped. "We'll go.

"Great!" Kyuhyun said. They got in a circle while Kyuhyun did eeny meeny miny moe. Changmin became "it". He started counting while closing his eyes while Kyuhyun and Minho ran into the forest.

Kyuhyun kept running until he heard something. He started feeling kind of scared. Then he heard singing. He raised an eyebrow and followed the singing voice.

He soon reached a lake. The singing voice was definitely coming from here. He looked around and spotted a girl sitting by the lake. She appeared to be the one singing. And she appeared to be really pretty.

He watched her as she played with the grass and some flowers. He smiled and whispered, "Wow... she's beautiful." (Every girl has GOT to wonder if any guy has ever stared at her and thought "Wow. She beautiful.")

He continued watching her. She thought that she was all alone. That was the fun of it. Then he heard someone calling his name. It was Changmin and Minho. Guess Minho's not good at hiding. He saw the lake house. He wanted to run to it. But the girl was there. And he didn't want to surprise her. But Changmin and Minho were getting closer.

Kyuhyun decided to go. He walked slowly to the house. It seemed abandoned. She didn't notice him, which he was thankful for. Until he stepped on a twig. She quickly turned at him. Her eyes were wide with fear.

She started getting up and backing away. "D-don't be scared. I'm not going to hurt you," he immediately said. She stopped. "Why are you here?" she asked.

"My friends and I were playing hide and seek. So I ran and then I heard someone singing. I followed the voice and it was you. You have a beautiful voice, by the way," he said. Her cheeks turned red.

"You... really think so?" she asked shyly. He nodded. His cheeks also became red because he had just realized what he said. "My name is Cho Kyuhyun," he said, reaching his hand out.

They shook hands. "I'm Seo Joohyun," she said. "Hey! Our names both end with Hyun!" he said. She nodded.

They both sat at the edge of the pier. "Have you ever had a Secret Santa?" he asked. She shook her head and asked, "What's a Secret Santa?" He laughed and looked at the water.

"Secret Santa is an activity we do. We put our names in a bowl and we all take one out. You have to get the person whose name is on the paper a present. I got a present, but it broke," he explained.

"Let me see the present," she said. He nodded and gave her the toy from his backpack. She took it and inspected it. "It's still fixable. What you need to do is this," she said and did something to it. Soon, it was fixed. "Whoa!" he exclaimed. "You're good."

"Thanks," he said. He put it back in his backpack. She smiled. Then they heard her stomach growl.(My stomach actually growled at this part.) He laughed and asked, "Are you hungry?"

She nodded and said, "I didn't have lunch today." He opened his backpack and took out a lunchbox. "I didn't eat lunch yet either. Good thing I saved it," he said. He opened the lunchbox.

There was fried rice and fried chicken. There was also some goguma. "Ooh, goguma!" she squealed. He chuckled and gave her some. After they ate, they lied down on the pier. He burped and covered his mouth.

"Sorry," he said. She laughed and burped too. They both laughed. Then they heard his name being called. He sighed sadly and said, "I have to go now."

They sat up. "D-do you really have to go?" she asked. He nodded. "I had a really really great time here with you," he said. "Can we meet here again? Tomorrow?"

She was hesitant but said, "Yeah. I'd like that."

He smiled and said, "See you tomorrow!" He ran off. She smiled and said to herself, "He's so cute." (And that's saying something because normally, girls think younger boys are cute but he's older than her so if she says he's cute, that means she likes him. Confusing? Sorry.)

As he was running, he thought to himself, She's so cute!

He ran and bumped into Changmin and Minho. "Oh, hey, guys!" he said. "We finally found you!" Minho said as he hugged him. "We were worried you got lost!" Changmin said, also hugging him.

He pushed them away and said, "I didn't get lost. I found a lake. And I met a girl there." They noticed how he blushed when he said the last part. They looked at each other, then back at him.

"Do you have a crush on her?" Changmin asked. He instantly shook his head and said, "Let's go!"

Kyuhyun walked ahead of them, so he didn't see them shrug at each other. But he did have a crush on her. And what he was going to do was just going to make him have a much stronger feeling for her.

As soon as he got home, he ran into his room. He gave really small greetings to his family members. And he just went in his room and locked the door. He jumped on his bed and sighed happily.

His sister, Ahra knocked on his door. "Hey, what's up with you?" she asked. "Nothing!" he shouted. "Okay... just wanted to know why you're excited," she said and left.

He took out a book from his drawer. It was his journal. He started writing in it.

December 2,

Today was an amazing day! Me, Changmin, and Minho were playing hide and seek. We played in the forest. So when I was going to hide, I heard beautiful singing. I followed the voice and found a lake. I saw the girl who was singing. And man, SHE WAS JUST BEAUTIFUL!!! I swear, more beautiful than Victoria, who happens to be older than me. This girl's name was Seo Joohyun. Both our names end with Hyun. Her name means "worthy pearl". I like her. She's really really cute and I think she likes goguma. She's never done a Secret Santa thing. And she fixed the toy I got for Ryeowook... the she-boy. Well, we had an amazing time together. I want to go to the lake EVERY SINGLE DAY NOW!

He smiled when he finished writing. He put it in his drawer. "Kyuhyun, dinner time!" he heard his mom shout. "Coming, mom!" he shouted back. He ran down the stairs and sat in a chair in front of the table. He looked so happy.

"Wow, you look so happy right now," his mother chuckled. "Yeah. And it's creeping me out," Ahra said. But Kyuhyun was too happy to even glare at her.

"What's making you so happy, son?" his father asked. "Oh... it's just that... I... uhh... had a really great time with my friends today," Kyuhyun lied. "Oh, good. Because I thought that it was about a girl. You know that you have to continue your studies without any distractions. And that means girls," his dad said.

"So I'm a distraction?" Ahra asked. "No. You know what I mean," he said.

"I know what I need to do, dad," Kyuhyun said.

On his bed, he thought about Joohyun. She was indeed the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He couldn't wait until he could see her again. So he tried his best to sleep, but he couldn't. He ended up sleeping at 12:00.

 

"Okay, mom, I'm going," Kyuhyun said as he walked towards the door. "Okay, sweetie. See you later, honey. Have a fun time with your friends," his mother replied.

He walked out the door with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He walked down the sidewalk to Changmin's house. He knocked on the door and Changmin opened it.

"Whoa. Hi, Kyu. Didn't know that you'd come by," Changmin said. "We have to go back," Kyuhyun said. Changmin raised an eyebrow. "To the forest."

 

"Hell no, Kyu. HELL NO. I'm not going in there again," Minho said. "Well, he said that it's important," Changmin said. "Yeah. It's really really important. You guys don't have to go with me at all," Kyuhyun said.

"Then why the heck did you make us go with you?" Changmin asked.

"Go back home. My mom thinks I'm at your place, Changmin. She thinks I'm playing with you guys. I need you guys to answer every single phone call to see if it's my mom. If it is, tell her I'm using the bathroom," Kyuhyun said.

"This is a very naughty plan," Minho said. "Kyuhyun, what are you going to do that requires us to lie?" Changmin asked.

"I need to get to the lake," Kyuhyun said. "Why?" Minho asked. Changmin got suspicious.

"Is this about the girl you met yesterday?" Changmin asked. Kyuhyun shook his head and lied.

"N-no. I just lost something there," he said. Changmin sighed and said, "Whatever. Let's go, Minho." Then they left. Kyuhyun smiled to himself and walked in the forest.

He walked until he heard the singing again. "She's here," he whispered. He followed the voice like he did the day before. Soon, he was in front of the lake. He looked around and spotted her sitting on the pier. She was humming and playing with a flower. He smiled.

"Joohyun!" he called. She looked at him with a smile. She waved and called, "Kyuhyun! Sit here with me!"

He ran down the pier and sat next to her. "I brought some food," he said while taking out his lunchbox. She put her hand on her stomach. "I'm glad you came," she said.

He laughed. "I know you're hungry. I had a feeling. I brought goguma."

He opened it to reveal goguma. She sqealed happily and got some. He chuckled at her. "So what school do you go to?" he asked. "It's a school on the other side of this lake. No one really found this place before," she said.

"So how did you find this lake?" he asked. "Umm... a bully was... following me. He really likes pushing little kids around. He' in the fifth grade. I'm just in the fourth. He's big and is a huge troublemaker," she answered.

"That's terrible," he said. She nodded and continued, "One day, he pushed it too far. I decided to ditch school for that day so I couldn't see him. I ran in the forest and soon, I reached this lake. It became my favorite place to go to when I'm stressed. And when I feel lonely."

He looked down at the water. "This bully. Does he still hurt you?" he asked. She looked at him. "Yeah... he doesn't ever stop."

He looked at her and said, "He doesn't have any right at all to bully you. Isn't it like, against the law? Maybe you should tell someone."

"No, I can't. You know how it feels when you know you should tell a teacher, but you can't. I just... you know... can't," she said.

They were silent for a while. Then he smiled and said, "Let me show you something."

He opened his backpack and took a snowglobe out. He showed it to her. "You know what this is, right?" he asked. She nodded and said, "It's a snowglobe. I've never had one before but I've seen it in movies and stuff."

"Do you want it?" he asked. "R-really?" she asked. He nodded. "S-sure," she said. He gave it to her. She looked inside it. It had Santa in his sled. On the bottom of the snowglobe, it said, "You are special."

She shook it and smiled as the pretend snow fell. He smiled and said, "It's a gift from me to you. It might be a little too early for Christmas, but it's nice to get presents, right?"

"Thank you," she said. She hugged him. He was surprised at first but he returned the hug.(Seriously, these kids have a better love story than me. Admit it, it's better than yours too. ^^)

"Your welcome," he replied. She broke the hug and said, "But I didn't get you a present."

"It's okay, Joohyun," he said. "You don't have to."

She smiled and said, "Thank you."

"Hey, I've got a nickname for you. It's Seohyun," he said. "Seohyun?" she questioned. He nodded. "It's kind of catchy, right?" he said.

She nodded and said, "Yeah. It's cool. Hey, if you call me Seohyun, I'll call you... PrinceKyu. Since you're dressed up like a prince. It's really fancy."

"Hahaha. Yeah of course. I come from a rich family. They always expect me to wear this. But I think I've got a lot swag when I wear this," he said. She laughed.

"Do you know how to skip a stone?" he asked. She shook her head. "Here. Look," he said. They stood up and got a stone. He inspected it. Then he threw it at the lake and it skipped. "Try it. Do it the way I did. Just flick it, you know?"

She tried doing it but it didn't work. "No. It's like this," he said, getting another stone. He then skipped it. She tried again but it didn't work. He got behind her and moved her arm in the correct angle. He helped her throw it and it skipped. She jumped happily.

"Cool! It worked!" she squealed. "Hey, let's go in the lake house."

"What?" he asked, looking at the abandoned lake house. "But it looks really old and haunted."

"Are you scared?" she teased. "Tch. No. Let's go," he said. They walked inside the lake house. There were cobwebs and a lot of dust. "It's really old," he whispered. She nodded.

They sat at a corner. "I want to live here someday," she said. "Why? It's all old and dusty," he said. "Because it's right next to the lake. The lake is where I can find peace and think. That's why," she answered.

"I can give it to you," he said. "What do you mean?" she asked. "My dad is the owner of a very famous company. We've got a lot of money. I could be able to buy the things you'd need to live here," he said.

"Really? But I don't want to burden you with that," she said. "You won't," he said. "What about your dad?" she asked.

"Please! Someday, I'll be the owner. It's what I'm supposed to be when I grow up. Then I'll have a lot of money," he said.

"So you can?" she asked. "Yeah I can," he said. "Pinkie promise?" she asked. "Pinkie promise," he said.

The linked their pinkies together.

Soon, the sun was setting. "Aw, I have to go now," Kyuhyun said. "Me too," Seohyun replied. "Seohyun, let's meet up here again," he said. "Sure, PrinceKyu. I'd really like that," she said. He smiled when she said his new nickname.

 

"Kyuhyun, don't make us do that again! Please!" Minho begged. "I'm sorry, Minho. I... still need to go to the lake," Kyuhyun said. "Kyuhyun, don't lie to me when I ask this. Are you secretly meeting with the girl?" Changmin asked. Kyuhyun hesitated but he replied.

"Okay. Yes. I am. It's because she really makes me happy and I think she's cute," Kyuhyun answered, his cheeks turning kind of pink. "Y-you like her?" Minho asked. Kyuhyun slowly nodded.

Changmin and Minho looked at each other. Then back at Kyuhyun. "Kyu, YOU'RE ONLY IN THE FIFTH GRADE!!!"

"I know! But... there's just something about her that makes me feel happy. And I really like her. I would break all the rules just to see her everyday," Kyuhyun said.

"Oh man," Minho groaned. "Kyuhyun, aren't we too young to be in love? Crushes can be allowed but this just isn't it," Changmin said.

"Well, Changmin, how you feel if you liked someone and your friends were pressuring you to NOT like her?" Kyuhyun asked. Changmin froze.

Minho whispered, "He's closing in on us." Changmin nodded.

"C'mon guys. We're all best friends. And best friends help each other out, no matter what. So help me with this," Kyuhyun said. "Fine," Changmin and Minho sighed. Kyuhyun hugged them tightly.

"Ouch!" Minho screamed. "Kyuhyun... can't... breathe..." Changmin said, his voice straining. Kyuhyun instantly let them go. "Sorry," he whispered. Minho and Changmin glared at him.

 

 

 

Done with first chapter. Kyuhyun really likes Seo. And now he asked his friends for help! ^^