Chapter 1

Winter Reminiscence

 

Chapter1: 
As the aeroplane did a graceful ascend from the glide path, Krystal smiled to herself and stared out of the window. The sun fell beyond the skyline, and darkness enclosed the 24-hour city, Seoul. The monolithic towers, painted structures of the bustling city which emitted a monochromatic energy against the velvet sky were diminishing in size as the aeroplane rose higher and higher into the masses of clouds. Krystal felt a tinge of melancholy sinking its teeth into the deepest end of her heart. She was leaving the familiar city with its usual pollution and din, leaving the place she called "home". 
 
A tear escaped from her eyes unknowingly. 
 
"Here. Tissue." A monotonous voice rang in her ears and she turned around to face a boy of around her age. His cheeks were chiseled like a finely-carved Michelangelo statue, with a perfectly symmetrical nose right in the middle of his face. He had eyes of the colour of raw coffee beans which glinted and lips that ended in a little smirk at the corners, framing his face was wavy beige curls which danced with the glint in his eyes. 
 
Krystal gulped and gladly accepted the tissue. Wiping her eyes, she tried to think of a conversation starter to entertain the cute "tissue guy" sitting to her left. 
 
"So... Uhm... Why are you flying to Singapore?" Krystal inquired. 
 
The stranger parted his plumped lips and replied, "I hate the chill of winter in Seoul. Singapore's a better place to spend winter at. Technically, it's summer all year round. It's, yeah, warmer." 
 
"Winter must be cold for those without memories..." Krystal mumbled to herself. Immediately, the stranger's eyes snapped to her like an eagle with a new prey in sight. 
 
"What do you know?" He questioned, a sneer tugging at the corners of his lips. 
 
"Nah. I just thought of he quote from the movie An Affair To Remember." 
 
"Why the narration of the quote at that spur of the moment?" 
 
" Honestly, I don't know. I guess... You seem like a person without warm memories?" 
 
"The stranger laughed half-heartedly and stared at Krystal with an amused expression. 
 
"My name's Minho. What's yours?"