Chapter 1

Fashionably Late

If it was any other day, Wu Yifan would have snuck up on his girlfriend from behind and covered her eyes, slyly telling her, "Guess who." And if it was any other day, she would have responded by tightly wrapping her arms around him as he stood behind her, lovingly saying, "Who else?"

 

However, it was not just any other day. He was nearly any hour late to their lunch date (well, fifty-three minutes late, to be exact), so even as he was approaching her from a block away, Wu Yifan didn't even bother trying to sneak up on her. If he did, he surely would've been met by her spewing profanities at him as she kicked backwards. As he drew closer to her, he noticed that she was wearing her thigh-high boots - the ones with very sharp heels. 

 

Yup. He was almost certain that the Wu family jewels would be crushed if he chose to sneak up on her today of all days. 

 

As if she had sensed his presence, she suddenly her heel to face him. She narrowed her eyes at him, her arms crossed over her chest. 

 

Was it his fear that had given him away? Anyone probably would've been able to sense it from miles away...

 

"You're late," she snapped irritably. 

 

"I was testing your love to see how long you'd wait for me...?" he joked, grinning sheepishly. He subconsciously placed his hands protectively over his crotch. 

 

"Oh, shut up," she muttered. She angrily stalked off to the diner across the street. 

 

"Hey, watch out for the cars!" he called after her as he hurried to catch up with her. He quickly surveyed both sides of the street. No cars in sight, strangely enough.

 

"Why would there be any cars at this time? Lunchtime was an hour ago." 

 

"Oh... right. Heh."

 

"That's why we decided on that time for our lunch date."

 

"Yeah..."

 

"That's why I waited for an hour for you."

 

She pulled the door of the diner open, not bothering to hold it open for him as she quickly slipped inside. He managed to slip in between the gap before the door slammed shut again. 

 

Thank goodness I started playing basketball again. There's no way I would've made it through that gap if I still had my belly fat from three weeks ago, he thought proudly. His smile disappeared when he looked up and noticed that his girlfriend was already weaving her way through the tables to their usual spot in the booth at the back left corner. 

 

Sighing, he made his way over to the table as well, ignoring the pitying glances that some of the couples sitting scattered across the diner were throwing at him. It was both amazing and frightening how everyone could sense his fear. 

 

The waitress wiping one of the tables in front of him looked up at him to ask teasingly, "Not even 2 PM and you've already upset the lady, eh?" 

 

"Well, patience is a virtue. One that, apparently, she lacks."

 

"Can't blame her. I saw her through the windows. Poor girl, she waited so long for you to show up." The waitress shook her head disapprovingly at him. "And I thought it was the women that were supposed to be fashionably late."

 

They both glanced in his girlfriend's direction. She had pulled her phone out of her pocket and was now texting furiously on it. No doubt complaining to her friends about me, Yifan thought. He turned to face the waitress again.

 

"Listen," he began, "Today is actually a very special day-"

 

"Anniversary? Should've taken her to somewhere fancier for dinner then," the waitress cut in.  

 

"No, not yet. We've only been together for a few months-"

 

"Well, then, you're not making much of a good impression being so late, are you?" 

 

He clenched his jaw, annoyed by her constant interruptions.

 

"ACTUALLY, it's her birthday today, so I was just wondering if perhaps you could bring us a slice of cake later." 

 

"You're going to need a pretty big slice to get in her good graces again," the waitress pointed out dryly. 

 

Suddenly feeling a chill in the air, Wu Yifan turned his head in his girlfriend's direction again. This time, she had put away her phone and was glaring at him, patting the seat beside her. Ohhh, if looks could kill...

 

The waitress followed his gaze and gave the table one last wipe. 

 

"I'll see what I can do about it," she said, patting him on the shoulder as he made his way toward the booth. 

 


Author's Note: Whoaaa, can't believe I haven't updated this since last year! (Ba dum tss.