Chapter 1

The Whipping Boy

Prince Yesung was sitting with his royal tutor.

“Ugh, you’re going to be King one day and you can’t even write your name!” his tutor named Leeteuk exclaimed.

“I can get someone to do it or me,” Prince Yesung said smugly.

“You don’t even know the alphabet,” Leeteuk said in annoyance.

“I don’t need it. Someone can say it for me.”

Yesung was prince, but he didn’t know how to read or write. His whipping boy, Ryeowook would always have to go to his one-on-one lessons, so he knew how to read and write but every time the prince would talk back to the teacher he would get hit.

“Ah you’re so annoying,” Leeteuk stated.

“You’re so ugly,” Yesung said, “Why couldn’t I have a pretty female tutor. Why am I stuck with you? I am the prince; I should get what I want.”

Leeteuk was filled with anger at Yesung’s words.

“Get the whipping boy,” he said. Ryeowook let out a heavy sigh. He had already been whipped twice that day.

Leeteuk got out his whip. Ryeowook was on his knees, with his back towards him. Yesung was sitting and watching.

Leeteuk swung the whip. It made a cracking noise as it hit Ryeowook’s back.

“Ahh,” Ryeowook let out a cry. Yesung was wailing with laughter.

After five whips, Leeteuk stopped. Ryeowook was on the floor. His shirt was all cut up. There were blood stains on his back. Yesung was sitting on his chair. He had tried to control his laughter but he couldn’t. He was laughing so hard, he almost fell off of it. Ryeowook got up. He winced in pain, and tried to walk back to where he was sitting. His back hurt so much that he fell again in the process. It only made Yesung laugh harder.

Ryeowook’s family had always been poor. So to get money his father was a thief. He had tried to steal from the king, so he was hung from the gallows. When the king found out he had a son, he made his son the whipping boy. His mother had become ill and died so she couldn’t stand up for him.

Yesung was so used to getting things his way. He had never gotten hit once, because it was against the rules. He would always misbehave, but he wouldn’t have to worry. He knew Ryeowook would be the one to get hit.

“Next time you should,” Prince Yesung told the whipping boy. Ryeowook gave him a nasty glare and continue to try to walk.

“Hey listen to me,” Yesung said, “I’ll be your king one day.”

“Well today isn’t that day,” Ryeowook said. Yesung’s jaw dropped at his words.

“Just for that, I’m going to get in a lot more trouble today,” he said.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes.

Prince Yesung kept his word. He did get in a lot more trouble than usual. He put grease on the horse saddles so when people tried to ride them, they would slid right off. He also hid the kinds crown and stole the armor from the royal knights. Ryeowook was whipped seven times that day. He was annoyed with Yesung. He was 15 but he was acting like a little kid. (Ryeowook was only 1 year younger than him.)