Chapter 9 - Wounds and Worry

It's All Just a Game

 

When Seunghyun wasn’t back in an hour, Jiyong just assumed he’d stopped off somewhere for food. When he wasn’t back half an hour later, worry started to eat at him. An hour after that, Jiyong still had heard nothing from Seunghyun and he had succumbed to anxiety gnawing at him until he could do nothing but sit on the couch and stare at his phone. Without knowing where Seunghyun had gone, he had no idea who to even contact. He had his suspicions, though, and eventually he dialed Hyosonn’s number, brows knit in worry.

A few rings in and he almost hung up, sure that she wasn’t going to answer the phone when she saw it was a call from him, but finally there was a click on the other end and he heard a sad sniff as Hyosonn cleared .

“Jiyong, hi,” she greeted softly, and Jiyong arched a brow.

“You sound like you’ve been crying,” he said immediately, skipping the greeting as Hyosonn laughed weakly on the other end.

“I have. Seunghyun and I talked. I… I’m so sorry, Jiyong, I didn’t know any of this was going to ha-”

“I know, I know. Hyosonn, how long ago did he leave?” he asked, and he could picture Hyosonn looking quizzically at the clock.

“About an hour ago. Why? Is he not back yet?” she asked, and Jiyong immediately stood, swallowing deeply as he walked quickly into his room.

“No. No, he’s not back yet. He hasn’t called, he hasn’t texted, and it doesn’t take an hour to walk across campus. Hyosonn, something’s wrong. Seunghyun doesn’t do this.” Jiyong was dressed by the time Hyosonn spoke again, simply throwing on pants as he pulled open his door.

“Do you want me to meet you?” she asked, and Jiyong paused for a moment before nodding.

“Yeah, let’s meet halfway,” he replied, shutting his phone and hanging up as he walked briskly out of the building.

With no idea where he was heading, Jiyong had a feeling that this was going to be a big game of hide and seek. He just wanted to find Seunghyun as soon as he could.

~*~

Seunghyun closed his eyes, grunting when Kangdae’s foot connected with his side. He was trying his best not to fight back, not to cause any more trouble, but the more he resisted the harder it was going to be to fight back later if he needed to.

Considering the fact that he now had his hands tied behind his back, he was going to need to.

“What the hell is wrong with you people?” Seunghyun asked, brows furrowed and words choked back. His body twitched slightly, head falling forward for a moment as he tried to catch his breath. He heard Kangdae laugh, though, and let his gaze rise to meet the other man’s.

“You know, I could ask you the same thing,” he muttered in response, the other boys standing there forming a circle around the two of them. Seunghyun swallowed deeply, watching as Kangdae leaned down next to him. “First you hurt Hyosonn, then you get us all suspended? You know who doesn’t like the idea of being suspended from classes because some decided to fight back?” Kangdae glanced around at everyone, all of them nodding as he smirked. “All of us.”

“You were the ones who kicked our asses. And I apologized to Hyosonn. So don’t even bring it up,” Seunghyun spat out, lip curled in anger. Kangdae reached down, grabbing Seunghyun’s chin and lifting it so that they were looking at each other.

“You could apologize to the world and I still wouldn’t accept it,” he growled, face barely an inch from Seunghyun’s. “You disgusting little .”

With that, Kangdae slammed Seunghyun’s face into the concrete, smirking all the while. Even when Seunghyun tried to fight back, the slam to his head made his aim just that much worse, Seunghyun missing every kick he threw. Everything missed, and Kangdae just laughed at his attempts.

“Is that your best shot?” he teased, shaking his head. “If that’s all you’ve got, this is gonna be easy.”

There was a long pause as Kangdae stood, looking Seunghyun over while Seunghyun himself struggled with the rope around his wrists. He wasn’t even sure why that had been needed – all Seunghyun wanted was to get out of this, get back to the dorm, and spend the rest of the night alone with Jiyong.

He didn’t need a bunch of bullies with a grudge ganging up on him.

Kangdae gestured to the group, waving his hand at them as they all sprang to life. Seunghyun didn’t even know who was hitting him, where he was getting hit, or why. All he knew was that it hurt, and even when he managed to kick someone’s legs out from under them, the rest of the group just picked up the slack.

Seunghyun closed his eyes, only managing gasps and grunts as fists connected with him.

It wasn’t until a loud voice rang out above the chaos that anyone even paused, but when it happened it was sudden. Seunghyun fell forward, wincing visibly before looking up.

“What the do you think you’re doing?!” Jiyong screamed, brows knit together in both anger and confusion. “Seunghyun, what… what’s going on?” Hyosonn stood behind Jiyong, jaw dropped as she looked from person to person.

“They’re mad we got them sus-” Seunghyun’s words were cut short by the boy standing next to him kicking him in the stomach, and he coughed and keeled over slightly as a choked gasp caught in Jiyong’s throat.

“We’re mad that you two even go to school here at this point,” Kangdae said, brow quirked as he smirked. Jiyong and Hyosonn’s eyes both went wide, but before Jiyong could even take a step forward his arms were grabbed and he was stopped in his tracks, lunging forward and being jerked back a moment later. “What, are you mad we’re hurting your precious sweetheart?” he purred, a sarcastic undertone taking over his words. Jiyong’s entire expression fell as he squirmed in the other boys’ grasps.

“You’re ing sick,” Jiyong growled, and Kangdae shook his head.

“No. I’m not. You two are, though.” Gesturing to the boys holding Jiyong, one held his head up as Kangdae walked forward to Seunghyun, though his gaze was locked on Jiyong. “So if I hurt him, you’d get pretty mad, hmm?”

Jiyong’s eyes went wide as Kangdae scoffed under his breath. He watched as Kangdae looked down at Seunghyun, watched as he pulled his leg back, watched as he kicked him as hard as he could in the stomach. Jiyong also watched as Seunghyun coughed, and as Kangdae held up Seunghyun’s head so that he and Jiyong were looking at each other.

When Kangdae punched him Jiyong screamed, pulling himself from the boys’ grips as he ran forward. He wasn’t expecting Kangdae to turn and connect with his chest and the contact sent him sprawling to the ground. He looked up a moment later, noticing the blood that was dripping from the gash in Seunghyun’s lip.

“Y… You’re a ing psychopath.”

Hyosonn took a step back, shaking her head as she looked at Kangdae. Kangdae laughed under his breath, walking toward Hyosonn but stopping at Jiyong. He planted one foot on Jiyong’s chest, making sure the other man couldn’t get up.

“A psychopath? Hyosonn, you’re exaggerating a little,” he said, but she just shook her head.

“No… No, I’m not. You’re psychotic.” Hyosonn furrowed her brows, looking at Jiyong. Her eyes were full of concern and the want to help, but she only managed to take a shaky step forward before she stopped, hand over nervously. “I don’t even know who told you. Was it Jinkyong? I don’t even care.” She took in a deep but shaky breath, frowning. “Do you really think you’re doing the right thing?” she added, and Kangdae looked from Jiyong under him to Seunghyun, who was barely able to keep his eyes open.

“If it helps, then yes.”

What the hell could this help?” she screamed, nearly cutting Kangdae off as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. “They were the best couple I’ve ever met. And even after the you did to them, Seunghyun apologized to me. Even after you beat them up and called them names and got them suspended, they apologized. So what gives you the right to do this?”

Hyosonn had been walking forward the whole time, and she had almost reached Kangdae when she stopped.

“To think I ever trusted you… I don’t even want to see your face again.”

Before anyone really knew what was happening Kangdae had leaned back, the back of his hand connecting with Hyosonn’s cheek in a sharp slap.

The entire group went totally silent, all of them just watching as Hyosonn held her cheek, in tears tinged with a slight bit of shock. Then, everything erupted. Jiyong pushed up on Kangdae’s foot, sending him to the ground, though he was stopped before he got to Seunghyun by someone else gripping his shirt and pulling him back. Hyosonn ran off, purpose in her eyes but not sure what she was going to do. Seunghyun did his best to help though he was almost unable to move at this point.

It felt like the fight lasted for hours though it was only minutes, then all at once another loud voice interrupted, though this one was distinctly older. Jiyong looked at him with furrowed brows, trying to ignore how little it seemed he could move his neck.

What is going on here?” the principal yelled, glaring from Kangdae to the rest of the group, then finally to Jiyong and Seunghyun. “What do you think you’re doing?” he asked, taking a step toward Kangdae, who let his grip on Jiyong’s shirt go. Jiyong fell forward, immediately stumbling to Seunghyun and falling to his knees beside him.

Seunghyun was still conscious but not by much, though he did smile up at Jiyong weakly. Biting his lip to keep himself from crying, Jiyong mustered a smile, untying Seunghyun’s hands before gripping them tightly.

“They… They attacked us,” Kangdae defended, though his words were anything but strong.

“They didn’t. No one that attacks someone with their hands tied behind their back. Hyosonn informed me of exactly what happened. You all,” he said, pointing to the group of boys standing around them, “need to follow me immediately. Hyosonn, you come as well.” Hyosonn nodded at him, shooting Jiyong and Seunghyun a weak smile before looking down. “Jiyong… Please, you and Seunghyun need to get to the nurse,” he added, concern taking over his features. Jiyong just nodded, though he was barely able to meet Hyosonn’s eyes let alone thank her before they left. With only he and Seunghyun left Jiyong didn’t hesitate to burst into tears, unable to keep up the façade any more.

“Seunghyun, I… Are you… Come on, let’s go to the nurse,” he managed to barely stutter out, hoisting Seunghyun to his shoulder and holding him up. He could barely carry him, but with the little bit of consciousness that Seunghyun had in him he helped himself, both of them walking in near silence toward the nurse’s wing. The only sound that broke the quiet worry between them was the occasional sound of either one grunting or hissing in pain.

Jiyong just kept his arm wrapped tightly around Seunghyun’s waist, holding him almost protectively until they finally made it to the nurses’ office.

The second they opened the door everyone ran up, keeping what seemed like constant attention on them. It was a flurry of activity, and considering Seunghyun passed out almost immediately once they got him to a bed, Jiyong had to answer most of the questions that came up.

He could barely speak let alone answer questions, though, so most of his sentences came out as garbled mutterings. Eventually the nurses just bandaged him up, spending more time to stop some of Seunghyun’s bleeding, even having to stitch up one of the deeper cuts. Jiyong watched what he could see, which wasn’t much, tears still dampening his cheeks as he tried to calm himself down at all.

How had this gotten this bad? This had all just started out as a stupid little game to win a girl’s heart. That had obviously gotten lost on the way, but Jiyong didn’t mind that. Sure, he hadn’t expected to end up with his roommate, but looking at him now, unconscious in the bed near him, Jiyong honestly had no idea why he hadn’t seen it coming in the first place.

Now what was going to happen?

Jiyong pushed himself out of his bed, wincing as a nurse walked up to try to get him to lie back down.

“No, I just… Can I move over there? To that bed?” he asked, pointing to the one next to Seunghyun. The nurse looked from Jiyong to the bed, then to Seunghyun, and when it clicked in her mind she nodded, though she wasn’t smiling.

“Alright. Just let him wake up naturally. We ran as many tests as we could – no broken bones, just a lot of cuts and bruises. Be careful, though.” She led him across the room, setting him up in the bed next to Seunghyun and even glancing around the room before pushing it closer. Shooting Jiyong a gentle smile, she nodded to him and then dipped out of the room, leaving the two of them alone once more.

Sighing softly, Jiyong flipped over onto his side, gaze trailing over Seunghyun’s face. Even when he was unconscious he looked peaceful, though it might have just been the painkillers that they’d given him.

There was no way of knowing how long he spent keeping a careful eye on Seunghyun as the clock was behind him and he refused to lose sight of the other man for a moment, but when Seunghyun opened his eyes Jiyong smiled. Seunghyun looked around, blinking a few times before groaning and looking at Jiyong.

“When did we get here?” he asked, and Jiyong shrugged, unable to hide his happiness.

“I don’t even know. I’m just so glad you’re awake,” he replied in a relieved exhalation, watching as Seunghyun attempted to smile. The attempt made his lip twitch though, one side not working as well due to the cut there. “They gave you lots of pain killers. Do you… Are you okay?” Jiyong asked, concern in his tone.

“No, I’m not… But I will be,” Seunghyun said, taking in a deep breath before letting it out slowly. “What happened to everyone else?” he added, but Jiyong just shrugged as best he could.

“I don’t know. The principal took them and Hyosonn somewhere.”

It seemed like it was on cue that the door opened and Hyosonn walked in, hair a mess and looking like she had come straight from whatever she and the principal had been doing. When she saw them both awake she heaved an immediate sigh of relief, settling on the end of Jiyong’s bed.

“God, I’m so glad you’re both okay,” she said, looking between the two. There was a long pause, both Jiyong and Seunghyun staring at her as they waited for her to continue. “Kangdae, and everyone else… They all got expelled. Every one of them. All of them are out. The principal trusted everything I said, and with you two here with the nurse…” Her voice trailed off as she looked at them, tears threatening to stream down her cheeks once more. “I’m so sorry… Oh god am I sorry… I wasn’t ever expecting anything like this to happen. I just… Jiyong, Seunghyun, I just want you two to be safe and happy…” Jiyong nodded to her, holding up his hand as she quieted herself.

“I know… We both know,” he replied, looking to Seunghyun and sighing.

There was a long silence in the room, all of them thinking the same thing, though it was Hyosonn that said it.

“So… what happens now?” she asked, and Jiyong shrugged, watching as Seunghyun closed his eyes once more. He drifted off, the medications they’d put him on more than likely making him drowsy.

“I don’t know. We go through the rest of our suspension, heal up a bit… Then we just wait and see, I guess.” Jiyong turned back to Hyosonn, a thankful smile perking at the corner of his lips. “Hyosonn, thanks for getting the principal today. I don’t want to think about what could have happened if you hadn’t done that. I think we all would have been a lot worse off.” Hyosonn nodded in understanding, biting her lip.

“I couldn’t see you two getting hurt like that. I just couldn’t take it.” Shaking her head at herself, Hyosonn stood and walked up to the head of the bed, ruffling Jiyong’s hair lightly before giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. “You should sleep, you know. At least try. It’ll help.”

Nodding, Jiyong watched as Hyosonn slipped from the room, no doubt heading back to her dorm to try to rest.

“What a day…” Jiyong mumbled, letting his head fall to rest against the pillow, though he still kept his eyes on Seunghyun.

He kept watch over the other man until he drifted off to sleep himself.

Though his sleep wasn’t particularly restful, there was a certain peace in knowing that, when they did go back to class, they could finally feel safe again.